6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old January 24th, 2018, 03:33 AM

Truck: 1965 short step
Amtken is on a distinguished road
Default VIN Plate

I didn’t see this question in any other threads so forgive me if I’m wrong... I am the second owner of a customized 1965 GMC pickup. I’ve been rebuilding it from the ground up since about 1999. It was given to me by a friend shortly before that.
My situation is that it’s been in a pile of parts for about 17 years. It is now getting painted and I’m going thru all the boxes of parts to get them ready. I’m not able to find the VIN plate!!! How can I replace it? It’s already been tagged and titled in my name so I can tag it once I’m finished but I need to be correct with the vin in order to insure properly. Does anybody have any ideas? I could duplicate if I knew exactly what it should look like. I’m hoping to find a good pic in my files in case that’s what I need to do.
I’m hoping there is something out there I can purchase.
Thanks in advance ...
Old January 25th, 2018, 01:28 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: VIN Plate

Sorry, since you lost it you will have to go to the DMV in your state and ask what is required for someone in your situation. There is NO other way. We DO NOT offer any advice to do it any other way. Any other way without authorization from the state agency or having the state agency issue a new tag and telling you how and where to place it is ILLEGAL in all states, for obvious reasons.
I'm sure you are legit but that does not matter. Many folks have lots of ideas and places to buy parts and stories about how to do it. The 6066GMCCLUB.Com does not participate in any other advice. This policy is stated in our VIN section.

P.S. There is NEVER a good reason to remove a VIN tag and it should NEVER be removed. The original rivets are evidence of a legit truck. If you are media blasting/painting, just mask, avoid blasting the plate, hand sand around it........... and paint.

It isn't just if the state will stop you from making your own. In my state you don't even take older than 1967 into them for a title. I realize you have a title already. The point is if a buyer later sees a home made tag or you get involved somehow with DMV and they see the home made tag. Depending on your state's rules, this can all be avoided by asking them, not us, what to do. You don't even have to give your name.

Last edited by AZKen; January 25th, 2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old February 14th, 2018, 10:46 PM

Found it!!! The guy that blasted my cab 18 years ago had it in his tool box and forgot. The DMV here told me to river it back on and it will be fine. I’m glad of that. It’s taken this long to finally paint my truck...
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:05 PM

Does anyone have a picture they can post of the correct location of the VIN tag for a 1965 GMC? Is it on the kick panel above the data plate or above the drivers door or on the front of the drivers door opening?
Thanks
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:48 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Yes we do have that info. Go to Jolly page in blue banner at top of this page, then click on "GMC ID". I am surprised you don't see the holes for the rivets?
Above driver door opening for 65-66. We are missing the 64 location picture, a weird one......on the B pillar at about eye level when seated.

Last edited by AZKen; February 15th, 2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:42 PM

I found one hole where I thought it might go...wasn’t sure which way it went. Thanks, I’ll look at that page...