6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old January 25th, 2023, 01:47 AM

Truck: 64 GMC 4000
Kessler is on a distinguished road
Default 11 pin round wiring on back of gauge cluster 64 GMC 4000

Hi all, So,purchased all new gauges for my 64 GMC 4000 and I need info on what the 11 pin round connector on back of gauge cluster corresponds to...one female spot gives me a dim light w/key on, and one gives me a bright light w/ key on, one gives me blinkers...hate to cut this 11 pin female round connector off and splice each wire individually! Can't find a wiring diagram...please help so I don't screw this all up! Believe me when I tell you I CAN screw this up!
Old January 25th, 2023, 02:42 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 Suburban Series 1000 - 351M with mechancal tachometer - PS & PB & 2 speed Pow-R-Flow automatic
lizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enoughlizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 11 pin round wiring on back of gauge cluster 64 GMC 4000

Easiest and about the only way is to find a WIRING DIAGRAM for your GMC year and cut each wire from the pin terminal and slice to the new harness wire that corresponds to the pin output. Since you are replacing your gauges you probably won't be using the idiot lights on your dash - plus you will need to switch sending units - you can do this just think out the process and plan before you cut.

Last edited by lizziemeister'sV6; January 25th, 2023 at 02:49 AM.
Old January 25th, 2023, 02:59 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

If you just replaced gauges with original aftermarket or donor gauges there is no wiring to do, so what are you saying. The round connector plugs on only one way on the back of cluster and if that pigtail is still wired into the harness.....it will work.
Need more explanation as to why you need a diagram. Did you cut all the wires that lead out of the round connector? Even if you did just splice color to color???
I have a diagram, not sure if I can display here.

Lizzy says "new harness" what new harness is he speaking of????????

So assuming you replaced the whole cluster with a cluster which does not have a round connector:
A-BLK......ground to dash screw
B-Dark BLU.....right turn output from turn signal switch. attach to indicator light
C-Light BLU.....left turn output from turn signal switch. attach to indicator light
I believe B goes to one side of bulb and C to the other. Then bulb is grounded by it's base/socket.
D-BRN...fuel sender
E-Pink....hot for oil/gen/temp/fuel gauges/lamps
F-Dark BLU.....oil sender
G-Brn.......Gen Light
H-Dark GRN.....Temp Sender
J-GREY?....Cluster lamps
K-Lt GRN.....Hi beam indicator lamp

This is my take on the diagram. You decide for yourself not from my interpretation in case I messed up. Let me know if you need further.

BE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH SIDE OF GAUGES OR INDICATORS IS FOR SENDER WIRE AND WHICH IS FOR HOT. BE SURE WHICH SIDE OF CLUSTER BULBS OR HI BEAM BULB IS HOT AND WHICH IS GROUND.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964GMC Diagram.jpg (865.2 KB, Multiple views, 25 clicks)

Last edited by AZKen; January 25th, 2023 at 05:34 AM.
Old January 25th, 2023, 02:31 PM

AZ Ken: YOU ROCK! Do you have any idea how long I looked for diagram or info?? Seriously, I have been losing sleep over this, lol! Am on fixed income, so gauge purchase was a biggie for me. I had mapped out what I could figure by having key on and testing with test light and it matches your info almost PERFECTLY! Submitted a thread almost a year ago, and got busy fixing everything else on the truck and finally arrived to this point again. Confidence boosted big time! THANK YOU! Will keep all posted on progress and submit pics when done. THANKS again!
Old January 25th, 2023, 04:32 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Good deal.
Old January 28th, 2023, 12:30 AM

Talking Re: 11 pin round wiring on back of gauge cluster 64 GMC 4000

SUCCESS!!! dash cluster installed and all works perfectly! Many thanks to AZ Ken and lizziemeister
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (153.7 KB, Multiple views, 18 clicks)
Old January 28th, 2023, 12:59 AM

Nice............really nice. Carbon fiber.... EXCuuuuuuuuuuuSE me!

Last edited by AZKen; January 28th, 2023 at 01:12 AM.