6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old April 17th, 2019, 05:28 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default NOS Find of the year! (so far so good)

Wanted to share something many people (including myself) have never seen before. These are Rare NOS 62-66 GMC Custom emblems I lucked into a week or two back. As many NOS items as I have seen and collected this was a first.

Many do not know that all 62-66 Custom Cab equipped pickups came with these badges painted in bright Red and White stripes as you see here. Next to no one ever repaints them when I see one at a show online or even on this very forum, so these are definitely the find of the year (so far)NOS or rare part-wise

Neat little piece of history in any case, so for the 6066 GMC historic record, I wanted to show that these definitely came painted Red and White like this - might have some newbies come along one day who need to know this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOS Custom Emblem 1.jpg (180.2 KB, Multiple views, 20 clicks)
File Type: jpg NOS Custom Emblem 2.jpg (182.9 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old April 17th, 2019, 11:37 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NOS Find of the year! (so far so good)

That's so cool! I've never seen any that weren't just chrome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 18th, 2019, 01:57 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
Many do not know that all 62-66 Custom Cab equipped pickups came with these badges painted in bright Red and White stripes as you see here.
I wanted to show that these definitely came painted Red and White like this - might have some newbies come along one day who need to know this
My '62 Suburban has spent most of its life garaged. You can still see the original red and white paint on the Custom emblems, as well as the red and blue on the V6 emblems. My '65 Suburban, on the other hand, spent many years parked on Dad's driveway. The sun baked most of the paint away a long time ago, although you can still see a little of the white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7046.JPG (2.11 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_7050.JPG (2.28 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_7049.JPG (2.46 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_7053.JPG (2.66 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old April 18th, 2019, 08:19 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1967 CM 2500
BobBray will become famous soon enoughBobBray will become famous soon enough

Very nice! Also note how parts came in division-specific packaging, not generic GM boxes. I found an NOS turn signal switch for a friend's '62 Cadillac, and it was in a really nice 'Cadillac' box.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 01:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

On a related note, my daughter painted my badging a couple of years ago but by this point you can't tell. Is there a special paint that needs to go on them?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 6th, 2019, 02:59 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

I guess it needs to be acrylic enamel because I found identical color matches in testor model paint and thought since it was on emblems it would be fine, but it does not hold up for squat. Acrilic enamel can be made up in a spray can at automotive paint stores but you have to have codes to mix from or do color scans to match, and emblems don't have enough surface paint to do a match, but I might try spraying some sheet metal with my matches from model paint colors and give them enough surface area to scan the color from

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:23 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
On a related note, my daughter painted my badging a couple of years ago but by this point you can't tell. Is there a special paint that needs to go on them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
I guess it needs to be acrylic enamel because I found identical color matches in testor model paint and thought since it was on emblems it would be fine, but it does not hold up for squat. Acrilic enamel can be made up in a spray can at automotive paint stores but you have to have codes to mix from or do color scans to match, and emblems don't have enough surface paint to do a match, but I might try spraying some sheet metal with my matches from model paint colors and give them enough surface area to scan the color from
Sign painters "One Shot" is great paint for that kind of thing. Most car and truck guys know of Eastwood, last I knew they carried it. I'm sure a lot of ebay stores have it though. It flows on even better when thinned sparingly with "Penetrol".

I was a sign painter for many years and repainted a lot of emblems for local restorers. Never had any complaints.

Sorry I don't post much, but I still don't own one of the great GMC's from this era. Still love all the old GMC's though!

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160_5780.JPG (1.09 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg penetrol on '55 002.jpg (1.33 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:00 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Sign Painters "One Shot" is a good product but if using it's a good idea would be to add some Catalyst to it to increase it's longevity because it too will just fade out in a few years.