6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old December 9th, 2013, 02:07 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
One of my trucks, that I used to drive fairly regularly (until something from inside the engine punched a hole in the oil pan) came factory equipped with -no- heater. Defroster ducts aren't even installed (slots are there but that is it, the metal duct that fastens to the dash isn't there).

Nothing like driving it in the winter, wing windows open to keep airflow on the windshield so it didn't fog over. Fun times...
Winter driving with wing windows wide open reminds me of Big Green, the 1961 K1500.

She came up with a new heater fan noise, like a little bird chirp. Then, it was a semi-screech. Off goes the fan switch, on comes the windshield fog, out goes the vision, and open go the vent windows. As winter followed fall that year, little league screech became a major leaguer. At 20 below late in January, I took a stance at shade tree garage center, threw down the gauntlets (chopper mitts), and pulled Big Green's heater fan and motor (which, by then, had stopped screeching, mainly because it stopped running). In dark of night, my impatience, and a too loose crescent wrench weren't making progress on a rusted nut. Big amounts of penetrating oil and a couple of hammer raps later, centrifugal fan and fan motor relaxed their mutual death grip. Fan shaft decided this would be a good time to rotate. "Good move", I said--I still had the hammer: "Here's some 30W motor oil". I spun the shaft, gravity did the hard work, I added more penetrating oil, and the combined effort re-lubricated the factory lubricated (so you never have to do that again) fan bearing/bushing. Heater fan has no desire to repeat that nightmare and is still walking the straight and narrow.

My grandparents had blankets and hot bricks to keep from freezing in their Model T. I still carry that hammer in cold weather.
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:14 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

The Cold Hard Truth and a Great Story!
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Yeah, us in Louisiana had a cold snap come through last week, ....why it even got as low as 38, like to stopped the city in it tracks.
Old December 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culver Adams View Post
My grandparents had blankets and hot bricks to keep from freezing in their Model T. I still carry that hammer in cold weather.
Almost wish I had those when I was driving the truck.

Someone had put an aftermarket heater in it, but without the ducts, no defrost... and the first time I turned on the heater, the draw melted the switch. I think I had more smoke in the cab than heat.

Removed that piece of junk, and told myself that one day I would look into getting the proper setup for it. Yeah... one day...

Right now, my two favorite trucks are both sitting, one with a cracked block (threw a rod... note to self, when truck is stuck do NOT stand on the gas...high RPM means breakage), the other threw something out through the oil pan.
Had my '63 2500 running for a while, pulled the chev 350 that was in it and replaced it with a 351. Should never have done that. The guy I got the 351 from had invested a lot into the engine (he had receipts) and said it never did run right. I took it apart, almost everything looked new inside, so I cleaned it up and put it back together. It ran... but no power. I acquired a '63 305 that already has the Holley and electronic ignition on it and it ran well before it was removed from the truck (owner decided he needed "dependability" and put a new 350 in... the 305 will outlast that 350) so one of these days that 305 will find its way beneath the hood of my '63. Added bonus, it also has the plaid valve covers, although they are not in the best of shape... still, it is the correct engine for the truck so it will end up in the truck.

Someday I might try getting the '66 1000 running again, it "ran when I parked it" and I drained the engine (needed the radiator hose for a different truck) so it should be able to live again. *If* I really get excited about it.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old December 9th, 2013, 08:29 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Culver youre hidin a wordsmith in yer pocket! Do you have a build topic going? Great story.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 9th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Here is a prewar defroster. Anyone remember these? hey its warming up its in the teens today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0446.JPG (3.59 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:31 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
Yeah, us in Louisiana had a cold snap come through last week, ....why it even got as low as 38, like to stopped the city in it tracks.
I found a picture of HOW WE in LOUISIANA use a Snow Shovel, Pull the Grandson around in the yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow shovel use.jpg (54.3 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
Old December 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

I was feeling sympathetic so I drove mine to work today. It was only 29° but I haven't got the heater working yet. I wear heavy boots so it wasn't until I reached for my coffee on the hump that I noticed the passenger side vent was open.
Other than that it really wasn't bad... it even started without a choke
Old December 21st, 2013, 12:55 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

+7* at 6 pm here, will probably get to -10 or -15 tonight. Bad time to be on call at work.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old December 21st, 2013, 01:18 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

I think it was in the low 60s here today. I wore shorts

I just went to the dump with the heater on and the window down.