6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old December 15th, 2014, 04:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Draining gas tank

Not sure if this is correct section, but it is inside the cab.

My truck has been sitting for at least 6 years, possibly longer with gas in the tank. I have looked in my maintenance manual and it doesn't say a word how to drain the tank. Is there a drain on the tank so I can drain the old fuel out, or do I have to pull the tank out. Will the seat slide forward enough to let me pull it or do I have to pull the seat first.
Old December 15th, 2014, 04:42 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Draining gas tank

It's not hard to pull the tank. That's what I'd do, but if you dont feel comfy doing that I know for a fact that if you take the under cab filter off it'll squirt gas all over your arm until the tank is empty down to the filter. Have a safe collection pot to put it in and keep away from sparks!

If you pull the tank and dump it, you can just dump it IN A GOVERNMENT APPROVED CONTAINER (i use the government supplied grass in my back yard ) and wash it out with acetone. If it got gummy though, you might need to let the acetone sit in it for a long, long time. And you'll probably need to replace the lines too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:47 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Pepsi, pulling the filter to drain the tank sounds like a good method, love those varnish fumes, makes me even more light headed. Now it's snowing outside, so I guess I will wait to get to it. I'll remember about using a GOVT approved container, I heard California has them, not sure about Nevada.

thanks,
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:46 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
Pepsi, pulling the filter to drain the tank sounds like a good method, love those varnish fumes, makes me even more light headed. Now it's snowing outside, so I guess I will wait to get to it. I'll remember about using a GOVT approved container, I heard California has them, not sure about Nevada.

thanks,
Nevada containers are mostly made of sand, I think. Mine is green and sprouts from the ground. Yours might be granular and held in place by gravity

Just don't light a match around it for a couple of hours afterward. It makes the fire ants mad

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 15th, 2014, 07:37 PM

Truck: 1960 100 Fenderside
tdeming is on a distinguished road

You can't drain the tank from the filter. The fuel pickup is on the top of the tank. You can blow most of it out with low pressure air with a rag around the filler neck and a can under the filter.
Old December 15th, 2014, 08:01 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

IDK, tdeming. Gravity should pull the tank dry to the nozzle opening in the tank. Siphoning principle and all that. You can put an air hose on the filler neck too to really get it squirting, but again thats just going to work to the pickup end where the screen is. It won't drain every last drop.

You could put 2 gallons in after it quits draining though and maybe flush the rest out. Gas is pretty ....um...cant think of the word, but it cleans itself out pretty good when its fresh. Soluable?

edit: .....Ok I just looked it up. The word is solvent. It means it dissolves alot of different stuff. now I feel stupid.

Old December 18th, 2014, 08:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Default Re: Replacing gas tank

Well I gave up trying to empty the tank without pulling it. I tried every 12V pump I had and I just couldn't get any gas to come out of the tank. finally pulled the tank, not that bad, just had to unbolt the seat and slide it forward out of the way.
Emptied all the nice brown vanish/gas out of it, pulled the float feed assy and what a mess. Really crusty with all sorts of build up on it, pick up tube was blocked big time.

Took the gas tank to my local radiator shop, they figure about 2 bills to clean her up. New tank is around $220 delivered, so I guess my question is, how well do they fit, how well made and what has been the experience any of you who had replaced their tank.
I am torn keeping an original heavy duty construction vs a new off shore light weight copy.
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Plumb plugged up sounds like. Remember anything a shop can do you can do about 50% or more cheaper. Clean it up yourself and reinstall, start 'er up and drive! Probably the lines and carb are the same way though. May need to spend another 15.00 on a rebuild kit and some carb cleaner to clean the lines out.

Old December 18th, 2014, 11:22 PM

Truck: 1961 GMC Suburban 4WD-1966 GMC p?u,351,Turbo 400
Clyde will become famous soon enough

You can purchase a chemical to clean the tank, then coat it and you will never have a problem again. If your float is bad you can also purchase just a float, I did all the above to my 1961 4WD GMC Suburban.
1966 GMC 3/4T P/U 351 V6, Turbo 400,Gear Vender OD
1969 GMC Suburban 1/2T
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:45 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I got my carburetor kit today, bought it from Classic. Tore my carb apart, cleaned in the Berrymans, and was starting to put it together, went to install the accelerator pump and it was the WRONG style. I need one with a hook on the attaching end and this one was straight. So now I am stuck until I figure out what to do. Guess another kit. My old accelerator pump piece was not that hard, have it soaking in Kroil right now, maybe it will get soft again.

I have the float assy in my ultrasonic cleaner right now, been in there all afternoon, crud coming off nicely, but slow, nice clean metal under there as it comes off. The float is now floating again. Figure a couple days to clean it up.