6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:18 PM

Truck: 61 v6 gmc
acerna is on a distinguished road
Default 4 speed manual transmission

I see almost no discussions on replaceing the gears from the tree to floor stick. My 61 gmc 305 v6 still works great but what about finding parts like the 1st to reverse levers. Any info wound be great. Thanks
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:06 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: 4 speed manual transmission

Welcome Acerna;

here is the link from Jolly's page on moving the column to the floor.

http://6066gmcguy.com/3-to-4-speed.html
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Do you mean converting from a 3 on the tree to a 4 in the floor? Or do you just mean the rods that run from the steering column to the transmission?

I cant really decode what you want. Got pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Pepsi Man > I guess my question was not real clear. I don't see discussions on repairing the steering column once the first,second,third and reverse shifter levers break or wear down. I have never seen any of these parts available on truck parts magazines. What are the options besides going to floor shifter or power steering.TKS
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:16 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Ohh, so you mean the linkage off the column. Mine stuck occasionally until I sprayed the crap out of it with WD-40 (no kidding) now it's so smooth it falls out of gear sometimes when I'm in 3rd.

I would probably pull linkage bar off, it's not hard, and weld missing metal to it if that's the problem. If the little house shaped (from what I remember) part is the problem you can weld on them too then grind them down smooth. A quick and easy fix might be to use JB Weld until youre able to get to welding on them.

I see youre in San Antone! I get down to the FT worth area every once in a while for family. I went to SA a few years ago for the riverwalk and Seaworld/Schlitterbahn (sp) and it was a big hit with the family.

Edited to add: I wouldnt go to a floor shifter if it wasn't standard for that year. You might fix the problem, but you'll hurt resale value when you put it up for sale since they wont know if you did it right and a transmission is kinda important. I guess you could do a build post here and point the new owner to it though to let them see how you fixed it. Thats what I plan to do if I ever have to sell Cecilia (after selling all my kids and both arms).

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:25 AM

Thanks Mr Fetch me a Pepsi. Your right the linkage requires a lot of lubricant, as you well know, notorious for gears sticking. I did have that u-shape part where the levers engage machined once to make it work.Working on the brakes now.Thanks for the comments on San Antonio The weather is not to bad and don't have to shovel snow every morning.

Last edited by acerna; March 5th, 2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Ohh, so you mean the linkage off the column. Mine stuck occasionally until I sprayed the crap out of it with WD-40 (no kidding) now it's so smooth it falls out of gear sometimes when I'm in 3rd.

I would probably pull linkage bar off, it's not hard, and weld missing metal to it if that's the problem. If the little house shaped (from what I remember) part is the problem you can weld on them too then grind them down smooth. A quick and easy fix might be to use JB Weld until youre able to get to welding on them.

I see youre in San Antone! I get down to the FT worth area every once in a while for family. I went to SA a few years ago for the riverwalk and Seaworld/Schlitterbahn (sp) and it was a big hit with the family.

Edited to add: I wouldnt go to a floor shifter if it wasn't standard for that year. You might fix the problem, but you'll hurt resale value when you put it up for sale since they wont know if you did it right and a transmission is kinda important. I guess you could do a build post here and point the new owner to it though to let them see how you fixed it. Thats what I plan to do if I ever have to sell Cecilia (after selling all my kids and both arms).
You could always just sell one arm and your nose.....keeping one arm so you can keep your typing finger......
Otherwise you might end up being another "nose typer".....which aint all that bad.....but nose grinding and nose welding can be a real pain.

Someone help me.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:06 PM

Red face Re: 4 speed manual transmission

Thanks but i intend to keep on the tree and not go to a floor shift.Except for the alternator everything is still original from the oil breather (filter) to the transmission.Its a 61 v6 gmc and I've had it since 1967:
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:12 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerna View Post
Thanks but i intend to keep on the tree and not go to a floor shift.Except for the alternator everything is still original from the oil breather (filter) to the transmission.Its a 61 v6 gmc and I've had it since 1967:
Wow and I thought I hung on to GMC's a long time! Lets see some pics of this truck! Welcome from the Black Hills!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:48 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

This one looks like it might be near you, Doug:

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/cto/4356654097.html
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435