6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old October 9th, 2014, 12:55 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I'm going to stop right here and say this

This is a failure move, spraypainting your wheels. Dont do it unless you have NO other option. They chip, they peel, they don't stay painted. Bugs land on them while they're wet. If I had to do it over again I'd pay the money and get them powder coated like I should have done to begin with. I will probably do that when it's time for REAL tires with the piecrust edges at some point in the future.

On the upside I now feel comfy pulling the tires off and putting them on. It's hard work pulling them off on old wheels but if the tire is newer and pliable it's pretty easy. Either case it's well worth saving the $20 bucks if you have time and can handle the work.

(Jafar from Aladdin)

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Back to work I laid out my wheels on my old fence/stand/tarp holder boards in a sort of rotation for painting. By the time I finished the row it had been about 15-20 minutes, time to paint another coat on the first one.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Some of you that read my stuff might remember the painting stump.

I sprayed them all with three coats of white.

Oooo, pretty!

Then two coats of clear for protection. It didn't make a difference in the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 9th, 2014, 01:12 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Now it was time to put the new tires on. It's much easier to put them on than it is to take them off. Start by pushing the edge of the wheel into the new tire, wheel face first.

If you're a fat man you can just walk around it now and it'll push the wheel into the tire. I found I could push most of it in by hand, then use my super sized screwdriver to pry the rest of the way around.

Once the face is in just flip it over and do the same with the other side. It's pretty easy at this point.

Poke a new valve in it. I got mine in a four pack off Amazon with a valve stem core remover.

At this point I tried lots of ways to get the tire to seal so it would hold air. It never did until I came up with this. I put a towel over the painting stump.

Now I laid the tire on the tree stump and HUFF! picked up on it fast to kind of raise the upper part of the tire onto the bead area of the wheel so it would halfway seal. Ok, not seal, but at least very lightly hold the rim without falling back down. Then I'd slowly lower my hands so it didn't fall back down. Finally I had to pinch the side that was over the valve stem area so it would lip over the stem and form a very crappy seal. This let air flow into the stem, into the tire (and out of the tire too, just not as fast as it went in), and finally that pushed the tire into place as I got up to the recommended 44 psi.

WARNING: Dont touch the tire while you fill it with air! It will POP into the bead and break your neck!

Mine had this pencil thin whitewall, so I turned that part facing the inside so it wouldn't show.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 9th, 2014, 01:23 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Fill with air from the bottom because well thats where the valve stem is!

And that's about it! If you did it right you now have five new rolling tires. One of my valve stems was cracked so I'm going to have to replace it, but I have four good tires now.

Now to put them on. Oh, for paint I used about 3 1/2 cans of each primer and paint, and 2 cans of clear for the entire shebang. Around $40.00 worth of investment.

The Boy was pretty involved with this project off and on. He took a break from bike riding to help me carry supplies over to Cecilia. Check out Cecilia's new fence in the background. Woot woot!

All geared up, I slipped the jack under my baby. She was getting a new pair of slippers and I kinda wanted to drive her around the block for fun.

Then the unthinkable happened. My hydraulic jack busted! Here's me pointing to the clip that holds the little plunger. It broke clean in half!

So now I'm waiting on this to show up from from the brown truck

. I thought I'd go old school with a bumper jack that doubles as a come-along/winch.

Instead of going for a ride we had some snacks and put the tires side by side to compare. The new ones are about three inches'ish taller. I'll take that.

Old October 9th, 2014, 03:33 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

So Fetch....good job on your new tire project and the progress your making. Anything in the "Gonna Have New Tires" Master Plan about taking them to a tire shop to get them balanced?

Foley,
Greenwood, CA
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:18 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I thought about it, but decided to give them a try first. Cecilia's top speed is about 50 mph the ways and places I drive her so balancing may never be noticed. Our average speed is 35 - 40 mph around town. Laaaayyyydddd baackkkk

Old October 11th, 2014, 01:07 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Hi Foley and Fetch, showing how cheap (or broke) I am too, when I bought the "Primewell" tires for my '55 GMC I decided to risk not balancing because it's just under 70 bucks for 4 around here. I was pleasantly suprised that at 65 mph it drives very straight and smooth, no shake or vibration at all! Actually got it to 70 for awhile still great but I stay 65 or below as the r's were getting a little high.

I would remove the old weights though Fetch, see one in a pic you posted.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old October 19th, 2014, 05:49 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC Service Truck
Phat 66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
More pix -

Dual original visors

And the damaged pass side. I'm going to bang around on it some, but am not entirely against buying a replacement.

Now That's a aback Bumper
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:33 AM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

How are you and your little helpers doing Fetch? My comment on the bumper is if some one rears ya it will only scratch it a little but they are not going to be driving away from it...Vernski

Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:12 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Hi Foley and Fetch, showing how cheap (or broke) I am too, when I bought the "Primewell" tires for my '55 GMC I decided to risk not balancing because it's just under 70 bucks for 4 around here. I was pleasantly suprised that at 65 mph it drives very straight and smooth, no shake or vibration at all! Actually got it to 70 for awhile still great but I stay 65 or below as the r's were getting a little high.

I would remove the old weights though Fetch, see one in a pic you posted.

DAC
I didn't see the weight thing until just now DAC, but I can report that the wheels are turnin just purrrrrfect as they are now. I guess the weight was for the wheel being off somehow and it's still doing something to keep it good? Anyway, she's turnin and burnin!

Thanks! It brings all the diesels to the yard

Quote:
How are you and your little helpers doing Fetch? My comment on the bumper is if some one rears ya it will only scratch it a little but they are not going to be driving away from it...Vernski

We're all doing great! The Little Blonde jumped off her bed (monkeys?) and cracked herself dead center on a nightstand corner that was pretty bad. It looked like someone had hit her with a hatchet right in the forehead. We had to watch her pretty close for three days but she healed right up and is now just as crazy as before. Probably have to watch that one.

Powder Puff and The Boy are doing great. The Boy just joined Cub Scouts so we've been busy with a bunch of that stuff. Went to the local historical museum and the danged "tour guide" didn't even know what anything was that wasn't written on the plaque. We kinda did our own tour afterward so he could learn what I knew about some of the old stuff. Disappointing for me, but he loved every minute of it. Funny how that kinda stuff works out.

The Redhead is in her senior year and heading off to college soon. Scary stuff. I told her I'd let her handle her grades and watching her time management this year till she messed up. She had a little stumble this week due to a friend's b-day party but she's cleaned it up. I worry she'll lose her mind when she goes to a dorm and never make it to med school. No scholarships or anything fancy either plus we don't do debt so no loans either. It's going to be a tough one, but if she sticks with it she'll do fine. She's got the brain, it's just that her clutch slips every couple of months or so.

Well that got more detailed that I planned. Back on trucks,

I bought a Hi Lift jack like I said:

I got the Extreme version this time. the first time I ordered the 48 inch regular version and UPS lost it. So I ordered the Extreme version in 60 inch the next time and it works great for pulling fence posts along with having more lift room. You'd think 60 inches is way too long to be wieldy but it's just a normal sized farm jack at that height. Not weird at all.
the 48 would have probably been too little I think.

So I jacked up Cecilia with it and used the HiLift brand offroad base too for stability. It's crap piece of plastic with a very shallow hole to put the jack in.
Big mistake.

I got her in the air and BAM! The whole thing fell down. Could have busted my leg had I been in the way. I returned the base and ordered one of these bases from Bogart Group

Much more stable. They have videos of an older guy just pushing and pulling all over that jack and it doesn't fall. Good stuff.

Anyway, my new wheels and tires are on. Tire size is about the same, but they look a whole lot better.

Pics coming. I think my little hatchet head deleted them from my phone. She's not here right now so she's getting blamed

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; October 23rd, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:47 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

I had a similar style bumper jack on my 78 Buick Regal when I was 17. Does this jack also lift via the bumper or do you place it elsewhere?