6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old January 31st, 2015, 02:23 PM

Truck: n/a
Texas63GMC is on a distinguished road
Default new wirning

I'm getting closer to putting wiring back in my '63. Thinking about going with a new fuse block and harness from either painless or EZ wiring.
I don't have a complete original wiring harness to reproduce and since the truck wasn't running when I got it I don't know if it was wired correctly.
I want to keep the original gauge panel. No AC or accessories.
how big a job is it to replace the wiring? I assume the biggest trick would be to wire the plug in the gauge panel correctly.
Jake you've done this recently. Any comments
Old January 31st, 2015, 07:15 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: new wirning

I'm not Jake but: Wiring on older truck with no accessories is pretty easy of you can follow the schematic and have some old harness. Connector contacts are removable or you can splice. I have purchased kits and I have made my own. If your connectors are still in good shape, you just need wire, shrink sleeving and assorted terminals. When I did my own, I bought a used fuse box from a Chevy truck for $15. It's nice to know a little about wiring/electrical if you don't have a kit. The best kit is American Auto Wire but it is probably the most expensive. It is the most complete and includes switches and many other items. EZ wire or painless or equivalent will work also. Good instructions are nice to have. Kits are from $150-$450 up. I used the AAW, was very happy. If you do your own, buy the wire, a used fuse box and all the original connectors and contacts, you will spend the same as a lower end generic kit from EZ or other. If a person is just doing partial wiring like just the engine bay, just tail lights or just dash, etc., it's a DIY job of course. Nothing high tech about any of it in an older vehicle.

Last edited by AZKen; January 31st, 2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 04:49 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough
Default Re: new wirning

Tex, I sent you a pm with my number,give me a shout today