6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old October 9th, 2018, 04:17 PM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road
Default Steering column, wheel and interior help

Members,
I purchased an aftermarket Ididit column from a parts warehouse. I am switching my SM420 to a 700R4 transmission, so of course I bought the wrong column, hope I can return it.
From past rebuilds, the steering wheel conversion kits are not the greatest, as they are made of pot metal & at times strip out if you put too much torque into the screws.
I am looking for assistance, as I have seen other trucks that have other OEM year tilt columns with original, 14-15" GMC steering wheels. I am not too impressed with the aftermarket wheels either, they look somewhat thin and chinsy, kinda like putting a Foreign made wheel in an American made truck. I have a '64 GMC wideside 1000.

If I cannot find out these stock tilt columns, I have found another Ididit column online, that's powder coated black for the 700R4. I would, if possible, like to attach like a mid-70's early '80's steering wheel, like the rubber coated style onto it rather than these other wheels.
My original interior color is Fawn Gray Metallic. I am most likely going to put carpet in the truck as well, so I am thinking the black column and wheel, then carpet, kick panels in black and my new seat cloth upholstery will be gray base with black highlights, similar to the '95-'05 cloth they put into the 60/40 GMC seats.
One last question, what happened/availability to the stock black instrument knobs, that have the ridged circular grips, but now when you go to re-order "stock" replacements, they have a stainless ring around the circumference of the circle with black in the center?

Any help, websites to go to, would be really appreciated on my topics, thank you! ItalOso - Tom