6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old December 14th, 2016, 01:38 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy

OK: Here are some pics of the new $100 toolbox mounted into the '63. It seems that the GMC bed rails are about 6 inches wider than the modern full size pickup bed. I had to mount the box using angle iron brackets. This is the exact same box I bought and installed in my '72 Chevy. I was able to make it work on that truck by centering the tool box and bolting it to the rails. I did not need brackets for that installation, but the Chevy is about 4 inches wider than the modern full size bed instead of the '63's 6 inch difference. I was using VW rims to keep the box high enough to be able to open the lid of the tool box in the GMC, so it looks a bit messy in the pictures. I have since cleaned the bed out (actually, Boy and Other Boy did most of the cleaning after I got home from work). They also removed the Bug gas tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC toolbox 1.jpg (115.2 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC toolbox 2.jpg (85.5 KB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC toolbox 3.jpg (68.8 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC toolbox 4.jpg (58.4 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)

Last edited by hubarlow; December 14th, 2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old December 14th, 2016, 01:45 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubarlow View Post
Before the smiley is supposed to be a picture. I have tried several times to get it to post, and have even watched the tutorial by Pepsi, For some reason it just does not work.

That's because you have the pic posted to faceypages. They don't use pics, they use a link to a page with a pic. Try tinypic.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:09 AM

I downloaded pics to my pc and then uploaded to the forum. That seems to have resolved my problem. Thanks. By the way, LOVE the Red Green quote! I still have a pair of the suspenders from a video gift set.
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:24 AM

Thanks, David, for the input on turn signals. I was unaware that there was a difference, and that helps date the truck a little better. It is good to know.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:18 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC PICKUP, 1956 PONTIAC SAFARI, 1949 CADDY SEDANETTE
HOTRODJOHN is on a distinguished road

Hubarlow,
I will get a photo of mine tomorrow. You should be able to mount it lower on the block and then on the bottom of the bracket there should be slotted section and that is where the adjustment should be made from. Also, lower will bring it in closer and you will be able to use the crank pulley. John
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:37 AM

Hubarlow,
This bracket looks like yours so the long adjuster should be on the bottom. Id you move it down you will be able to use the crank pulley and just make 2 spacers and 2 supports. This photo is now the finished one. I will take it tomorrow. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHONE PHOTOS 10-12-16 005.jpg (4.30 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:01 AM

How is this set up on the pulley? Does it use a single groove pulley to drive the fan. alternator, and power steering pump? Is there a double grooved drive pulley that separates the pump from the alternator and fan? Is it set up with a double pulley as a drive pulley, a double pulley on the fan, and two single pulleys for the alternator and power steering pump? If it uses a double pulley as a drive pulley, where did you get one? Can I rob one off a V8? Thanks.
Old December 18th, 2016, 07:34 AM

There is a factory double crank pulley. It came on the motor when I bought it. A V-8 pulley does not have the right bolt circle, it is too small. At present I am working on an aftermarket set and will post it when I find out. Here is a picture on the pump with a single pulley off the motor. You can get a picture of how it may work. Hope this helps. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHONE PHOTOS 11-16-2016 039.jpg (4.05 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg PHONE PHOTOS 11-16-2016 040.jpg (3.99 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
Old December 18th, 2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODJOHN View Post
There is a factory double crank pulley. It came on the motor when I bought it. A V-8 pulley does not have the right bolt circle, it is too small. At present I am working on an aftermarket set and will post it when I find out. Here is a picture on the pump with a single pulley off the motor. You can get a picture of how it may work. Hope this helps. John

Thanks, John: Your bracket seems to mount on differently than mine. The adjuster on mine is on the side, while the one you have seems to be on the bottom. Some awesome detail on the pictures, thanks! Mine seems to have been modified on the adjuster side of the bracket, and I have made an additional modification to allow for greater range of adjustment by adding a bit of strap steel. I can probably make mine work better just by adding the double pulley on the crank. I will have to see if a Small Block Chevy pulley can be modified to work by drilling out extra holes or something. I just do not want to pull the pulley off the truck if I do not have to. As soon as you start messing with something that ain't broke, the gremlins show up. Ya know?

On a positive note, it was slow at work on Friday, so I pulled the truck into a bay and tore my heater apart. It was howling like the Irish Banshees on a cold winter night every time I turned it on. I greased the bushings in the motor ( I had to tear it down, and it was a pain putting the brushes back in without the proper tools) but once it was back together, the Banshees seemed mollified. I now have defrosters (My boss joked that the mufflers heat the truck just FINE and that I do not NEED a heater)! I cannot argue with that, but it would be NICE to get my breath off the windshield on these "cold" winter mornings in South Texas. One hundred percent humidity makes it HARD to get the moisture off the windshield with just the vent windows, you know? What I found odd was that there are several youtube "tutorials" on how to replace the motor (and the heater core) on the 65/66 C10 Chevy (and by extension the GMC) but NOTHING for the older models with the "Recirculating Heater." From the looks of it, the '63 could be modified by putting the later model "Fresh Air Heater" (perhaps it was an option?) but the repair was a bit more difficult because the heater motor for MY '63 was UNDER the cowl inside the cab and I had to find and loosen the bolts that hold the whole heater assembly in place to get the motor and fan out. My repair should last quite a while, but if I start having issues again, I may buy a new motor and perhaps make my OWN video on how to replace the blower motor on the "Recirculating Heater" on a GMC. I would have done it this time, but my stupid iPhone is having issues with "Ghost" pictures that are taking up memory and will not allow me to take any more pictures or make any more videos. I had to use my iPad to finish the video about shifting without a clutch because of that stupid issue. There were HUNDREDS of BLANK pictures and videos on the phone that I discovered when I started deleting stuff. I got rid of them all, but I do not know yet if that has resolved my issue.
Old December 18th, 2016, 09:30 PM

Small block chevy pulleys will not work due to the diameter of the mounting circle. I am doing research on some other brands. Will let you know. The bottom adjuster on the bracket is the one I use the other ones I am not going to use. I just added 2 other flat straps and when done I will post pictures. It mounts on the bottom and will let you put Vintage Air unit on it at a later date. John