6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old August 3rd, 2021, 09:33 PM
Banned

Truck: 1960 gmc truck
ZDADDY is on a distinguished road
Default Need help

Where do I find an overhaul kit for a 1960 305 v6?

The machine shop secretary had no idea this engine exsisted. Oh jeez

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help

You can start looking for parts at Rock Auto, here is a link to some of the gaskets.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...sket+set,10392
there are other suppliers, maybe some others can chime in to give you some direction.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:49 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Clean it up, buy some gaskets, and put it back together. All I know about the motor is you said it doesn't run. That's no reason to take it apart/rebuild. Unless there is more to the story. They can last 250,000 miles and up. Parts are scarce, sometimes pricy, a running motor with good compression can be bought for $200 and up. Whatever they quote you to rebuild, double it. In my opinion, it's great you are excited and love the truck. They are really neat. But you are all over the place on finding parts, upgrades, rebuilding. Don't take the truck apart. Leave all alone. Get the motor running so you can see if trans, clutch, brakes, differential, radiator, suspension, steering all works. Then fix one at a time. You may be building a basket case.

There are over a half a dozen interpretations of "doesn't run".

If you are really rich, disregard my comments.

Last edited by AZKen; August 3rd, 2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:58 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Clean it up, buy some gaskets, and put it back together.
Excellent advice.

Unless there's something seriously wrong with your engine, I wouldn't attempt a rebuild. As I've mentioned a few times before on our forum, a friend here in Medford has a '65 panel truck with the 305 that has over 600,000 miles on it and has never been apart. If you use good oil, change it often enough, and never exceed 3200 RPM, your 305 should last you the rest of your life.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old August 4th, 2021, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Excellent advice.

Unless there's something seriously wrong with your engine, I wouldn't attempt a rebuild. As I've mentioned a few times before on our forum, a friend here in Medford has a '65 panel truck with the 305 that has over 600,000 miles on it and has never been apart. If you use good oil, change it often enough, and never exceed 3200 RPM, your 305 should last you the rest of your life.
Holy snikees........iv never seen a motor with that many miles, would have to see to believe that one.I live in the show me state.......sorry:-)

problem is......already yanked engine, and got plans to deliver to machine shop on Monday. I can't pass up a brand new engine in an old *** truck.lol

Zdaddy

Old August 4th, 2021, 01:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Clean it up, buy some gaskets, and put it back together. All I know about the motor is you said it doesn't run. That's no reason to take it apart/rebuild. Unless there is more to the story. They can last 250,000 miles and up. Parts are scarce, sometimes pricy, a running motor with good compression can be bought for $200 and up. Whatever they quote you to rebuild, double it. In my opinion, it's great you are excited and love the truck. They are really neat. But you are all over the place on finding parts, upgrades, rebuilding. Don't take the truck apart. Leave all alone. Get the motor running so you can see if trans, clutch, brakes, differential, radiator, suspension, steering all works. Then fix one at a time. You may be building a basket case.

There are over a half a dozen interpretations of "doesn't run".

If you are really rich, disregard my comments.
Too late......

Its getting rebuilt

Found a website that sells almost everything except the cam, and the pistons.(rpmrons)

I'm gonna be excited when I pull up in an old rusty truck and pop the hood:-)

Old August 4th, 2021, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDADDY View Post
Too late......

Its getting rebuilt

Found a website that sells almost everything except the cam, and the pistons.(rpmrons)

I'm gonna be excited when I pull up in an old rusty truck and pop the hood:-)

Also all six valves on passenger side were stuck, including 2 on drivers side. We decided to do block due to the lip on top of cylinder bore. I'm confident my new machinist knows what he's doing, as soon as I said big block v6 he said 305. Old timers may be slow, but they know what there doing.6\8 weeks out.

Zdaddy