6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old September 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: pull and save deals.

Steve . I can part with a set. I have at least 5 or 6 of the 61-63 window trims. Plus I have some small stuff to get to you. I will put together a nice one for you and post some pics.
Hantke. This stuff is in our local u pull it yards. Clean hoods are not hard to find here. I don't grab any more 62-66 hoods or 69-72 hoods. I have to many. I have a 2 car garage full of tin. Enough to make 8-10 trucks.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:01 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Steve . I can part with a set. I have at least 5 or 6 of the 61-63 window trims. Plus I have some small stuff to get to you. I will put together a nice one for you and post some pics.
Hantke. This stuff is in our local u pull it yards. Clean hoods are not hard to find here. I don't grab any more 62-66 hoods or 69-72 hoods. I have to many. I have a 2 car garage full of tin. Enough to make 8-10 trucks.
Over by spokanne? i think it would easily be worth the drive for me at those prices. LMC is expensive as well as online used ones, i'll need a hood (60-66 is fine by me, i prefer 64-66 look, but will be okay with 60-63 because thats what it should be) and 2 doors, are the '63 compatible doors easy to find? that would be awesome if i don't find em down here! i'd even possibly send you the money to grab them and perhaps meet you somewhere once i have the truck in the future (if that is okay with you?).

the truck I'm after is in a collectors back yard, he has a 65 DD, a 63, and a unknown (to me) mostly covered as well as a 73 chevy. he said he has 4 more (for a total of 7) in other places to, but not actively trying to sell, so it shouldn't move any time soon, and his main project is one with factory spot lights, so he'll be busy on that for quite a while (long enough for this college kid to pay off the hospital bills and get the money together again i expect)
GMC Hunting - I'll get my hands on one of 'em eventually.

Last edited by Hantke; September 11th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Banned

62-66 GMC hoods are what you want. I have some really nice ones. Since I don't actively sell tin. There is always one available for local pick up. Knee knocker doors are like tail gates and 60 window trim. I have a hard time parting with them. But if you catch me in a good mood i would probably let a pair go. Barry
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Banned

Hantke. What is your hopeful budget? I come across lots of nice drivers in good shape. I have not checked Craigslist lately but there are usually 3 or 4 for sale locally.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:57 PM

okay, was i wrong on the hood years? i though 60-63 were different.

60-63

64-66

or am i just wrong?
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Banned

Just looked on Spokane cl. There are a few. There is an interesting 63 over in wenatche. 3 grand.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Banned

The top one is 60-61 hood.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:22 PM

right now I'm paying off surprise ER / surgery bills (just got metal screws, pins, and plates in my arm a couple days ago... yay...) and need the rest of them to come in the mail, but i agreed to do some work for the guy (learning experience for me, not required to buy the truck though) and its mine for $900 which seems like a fair price, i figure i'll have the doors + hood and a new bed floor (debating whether or not i should get wood) for under $2,000. Plus a new semi local friend (i used to live two blocks down the road) to talk to about these trucks.

and thanks for the heads up, i like the '60 hood from chevy better, but the 62-66 gmc hood is my favorite.

budget depends on work though, school starts on the 22nd, and this whole not using my left hand thing really messed me up on finances due to not being able to work, plus, no income
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:29 PM

on the other hand, me and my girlfriend did just win a sand rail from mtn dew, and if we sell it, i may have immediate finances after fixing some stuff up on her car, so we will see on tuesday. (see what it is / what its worth / if we are keeping it)
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:46 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayoterun View Post
My comment may a tad off subject, but we're lucky here in our dry climate. It used to be I could buy an almost complete vehicle for parts for the one I was building for 3-4 hundred dollars. Then sell what was left for scrap/trade.
Once in awhile, you could find complete cars/trucks in farmers junk yards from the '30s-40s that were "running when parked". Not any more. Scrappers would come from other states combing the back roads buying scrap, but that's pretty well cleaned out our source of good clean, mini-rust parts.
So, the high scrap prices has sure taken some of the fun out of our project building here.
Yeah Cayoterun, similar situation up here. The reservation used to be great parts hunting but portable crushers have ruined that almost completely. Back in the 70s and 80s when a car or truck was sitting unused, if the owner of the land could be found, most of the time they would say "Get it out of here now and you can have it"!

Nowadays, as you say these scrap prices are diminishing what is left of the old cars, trucks, ag equipment and machinery that should be saved for historical reasons if nothing else. It's all about money.

The first pic is a rust free mid 50's Ford tanker truck at a local scrap yard where no parts can be bought. The second pic is a '58 or '59 GMC 270 next in line to be crushed at a local yard that does allow parts to be pulled, but no one was buying anything off of it. They only hang on to them for so long. I took this pic with the crusher seen through the windshield.

I hope you don't consider this a hijack, BarryGMC, great buys you got there!

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mid 50s ford scrapped.jpg (98.1 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg 58 or 59 junk GMC dash.jpg (82.2 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday