6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old December 24th, 2014, 02:16 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Cleaning fuel lines

I am in the process of cleaning the lines to the engine compartment. I have been capping off the lines and filling them with Stabul. Seems to be working so far. The line feeding the filter has been the worse, luckily the line from the filter to the engine was not too bad, at least it wasn't blocked entirely.
Had to drop the fuel filter housing as it was really blocked inside the fittings.
When I cut the rubber portion of the line between the filter housing and tank, it was a solid block of hardened vanish in the center, for about 3"
Amazing how that vanish gets everywhere and gets so solid.
Old December 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cleaning fuel lines

Jagarra,

Now that you have removed rubber fuel lines to solve one problem, I want to warn you about another. I put some "new" rubber fuel lines on my 64 GMC pickup last year, and they are already turning into mush and leaking. I did the exact same thing on a 66 GMC truck using fuel line from another parts store that seems to be holding up fine. I am guessing that there is a difference in the way these rubber fuel lines are reacting to the new gas formulations in California. So it is worth checking to be sure that rubber fuel lines are compatible with new gas before buying them. And the same can be said for rubber parts in other fuel line components, such as fuel pump diaphragms and the gaskets for filter canisters. This is just another example of my growing list of learning things the hard way.

JRMunn
Old December 25th, 2014, 07:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cleaning fuel lines

Thanks for the warning. seems that this NEW GAS is more trouble than it is worth, especially for older vehicles.
We have issues with the gas, issues with the oil.