6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old October 15th, 2017, 04:04 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Glad the fix will hopefully be a simple one.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:49 PM

Truck: 1964 1000 P/U 305E
OdieTN is on a distinguished road

Hey Fetch! How is Cecilia coming along? I've really enjoyed your thread. I'll be doing my carb this weekend, so I appreciate all you help with that for sure.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Last edited by OdieTN; March 2nd, 2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Take personal info out of public post
Old March 3rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Glad the fix will hopefully be a simple one.

You know me better than that, TJ! I put the new one in, it still registers as 1/4 tank full, and to top it off the connections don't seal and it sucks air like a bike pump. I still haven't got her running yet. I'm hoping to have some time this next weekend to tear in there and figure it out. That 1/4 tank thing is bothering me though. It should show "empty", but it doesn't. Resistance issues maybe? My ground is good. I love electrical problems...

Quote:
Hey Fetch! How is Cecilia coming along? I've really enjoyed your thread. I'll be doing my carb this weekend, so I appreciate all you help with that for sure.

Hi Odie! Thanks for reading my mess! I hope the carb comes along great for you and your little helpers. There was a big difference in how she ran after I got mine rebuilt and tuned. She still pops and coughs sometimes when I throttle up (maybe too rich?) but when I mash that gas she'll wake right up and cruise. No muffler so everyone freaks out a little if they're driving a ricebox beside me, but she'll do 0-60 in 30 seconds. I mean minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 5th, 2018, 01:26 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

It's one of those days.

It's freakin' cold outside and I'm planning all the stuff I could be doing if it were warm. I want to learn how to mix concrete and build a concrete drive or pad (same thing?). I want to clean out my gutters. I want to buy a new grill and make some steaks in the evening sun....

But I really want to get my baby running again. I still have this gas issue. I hope to pull her apart again tomorrow and get her running. It's been so long now that I'll have to air up the tires again haha.

Tomorrow my morning temps will be below freezing in the morning, but it should warm up enough by afternoon that I can turn a wrench on her. If I get her running again I might even make a trip to the dump for fun and drop off some of these "treasures" I been hoarding around the house.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 5th, 2018, 01:30 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

And to top it off, all my planning means I'm looking on ebay for cheap stuff, tools, mischief, and whatnot. i'm spending more money than if I was really working on things, and this is just the planning stages. I mean, do I really need a $300 concrete mixer from harbor freight? Do I?

Old April 5th, 2018, 04:25 AM

Truck: 1963 GMC Stepside 1000
kknotts is on a distinguished road

Fetch is ALIVE!! Was wondering about you the other day.
Old April 6th, 2018, 04:35 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Hey Kknotts! I'm glad to hear you think about me

I think about you guys too. I miss being here every weekend posting updates. I do have a little one today.

I unscrewed my gas line again to make sure it was fitting right. Here's what it looked like.

Then I pulled it all the way out to take a peek at the end to see if it was buggared up. It wasn't.

So I stuck two fingers on the other side of the hose to make sure it was lined up right, then I tightened it back up real good.

See? Real good!

Then I went through my jump battery and all three boat batteries trying to start her up. I even put starting fluid and gas in the carb.

She'd puff puff and then die every time. Still not getting gas through the line, and I'm not sure why. The fuel pump is relatively new. I might pull the fuel sending unit back out and make sure it doesn't have some kinda cap on the end next. It SHOULD be running through there like an obedient troop of boy scouts but it's starving.

Back to square 1.

Old April 7th, 2018, 12:02 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I had a similar problem with the engine not getting fuel and I had change my fuel sending unit when I first started to work on my truck (fuel gage would not work). In my case everything was fine. Then slowly I notice the carb was not getting enough fuel until it quit providing me fuel. I am using an electric fuel pump and I notice that it was not changing tone (was pumping only air at this time) when the carb became full (engine not running at this point). I had disconnected the fuel line from the sending unit and found it dry. I connected a rubber hose to the line and turn the key on, pump change tone and the engine started with no problem. On a closer examination of the fuel sending unit I notice the brass fitting didn't look right and didn't match the original mounting position on the line and the solder didn't look like it had bonded. I removed and leak check the sending unit and found it was leaking at the solder joint. I got my torch out and removed the brass fitting, then I found out it was barely on the line. I cleaned the inside of the brass fitting and the line. The I reassembled it making sure the brass had bottom out on the line and the solder (using acid core solder) was all the way around. I wash the sending unit inside and out with water then blow dry with compress air. Then I put it back in the truck and had no further problems with fuel delivery.

Old April 18th, 2018, 01:48 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
I had a similar problem with the engine not getting fuel and I had change my fuel sending unit when I first started to work on my truck (fuel gage would not work). In my case everything was fine. Then slowly I notice the carb was not getting enough fuel until it quit providing me fuel. I am using an electric fuel pump and I notice that it was not changing tone (was pumping only air at this time) when the carb became full (engine not running at this point). I had disconnected the fuel line from the sending unit and found it dry. I connected a rubber hose to the line and turn the key on, pump change tone and the engine started with no problem. On a closer examination of the fuel sending unit I notice the brass fitting didn't look right and didn't match the original mounting position on the line and the solder didn't look like it had bonded. I removed and leak check the sending unit and found it was leaking at the solder joint. I got my torch out and removed the brass fitting, then I found out it was barely on the line. I cleaned the inside of the brass fitting and the line. The I reassembled it making sure the brass had bottom out on the line and the solder (using acid core solder) was all the way around. I wash the sending unit inside and out with water then blow dry with compress air. Then I put it back in the truck and had no further problems with fuel delivery.

James you trouble-shot the heck out of that problem! so I just need to get in there with a torch and see if the fitting is loose?

Old April 18th, 2018, 01:59 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:

James you trouble-shot the heck out of that problem! so I just need to get in there with a torch and see if the fitting is loose?
Mine was not loose, just poorly assembled and not fully seated. Sorted like they bump it after solder and tried to put it back together before the solder solidify. This resulted is a tiny air gap in the connection. Be sure the sending unit is removed from the truck because the torch will make many pieces of you and your truck.

We need you to hang around for a very very long while.

Last edited by James; April 18th, 2018 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Updated info.