6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old December 27th, 2021, 03:29 PM

Truck: 1962 K1001
CMCamp is on a distinguished road
Default Hub Leak

Hey Guys, I would appreciate your perspective on this. About a month or so ago, I opened up the front hubs on my truck as I was searching for locking hubs that fit. I have not installed the new hubs yet. From the start I’ve had a slow leak of gear oil from the passenger side hub. It forms a puddle about the size of a silver dollar each day, which has been consistent. Because of the quantity, I assume this gear oil is coming from the differential and not the closed knuckle. There is very slight weeping from the ball seal on the knuckle. The truck is 60 years old and it doesn’t look like the front axle has ever been serviced (Dana 44-5f). I’m thinking I should do a complete refresh of all seals and repack the bearings. WDYT? Am I creating unnecessary work for myself? The truck has under 15k on it.
Old December 27th, 2021, 03:39 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hub Leak

I say go for it. You can't be wrong since it's leaking already and the "extra work" won't really be that big of a deal. I did this on mine and it wasn't such a tough job. I had guys here talking me through the whole thing and i took a ton of pictures. You can see the whole thing here in my build thread if you get stuck.
The only problem I had was the little brass bushings. I had to order them from a 4 wheeler store.

If you do it, post up pictures and your part numbers for the next lucky fella that has to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 27th, 2021, 08:29 PM

Truck: 1962 K1001
CMCamp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hub Leak

Will do! Thanks.