6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old August 29th, 2013, 07:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

Does anyone know which of these plugs does what?

I ran into a real nasty problem today on the way home. When I let off the gas it skreeched like rubbing metal any time the transmission wasn't under load.
Push in the clutch = SKREEEEEEEECH!
Get off the gas to slow down = SKREEEEEEECHHH!!!

Push gas to go = Normal

I think I might have squirted water in the transfer case when I was cleaning it with a pressure washer so maybe I just need to change the fluid? If so I don't know which bolt lookin thing is which.

Transfer case:

Tranny:

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

The noise with the clutch pushed in worries me more than anything else. Take off the bellhousing bottom cover and have a helper start the engine and push in the clutch while you watch from underneath.

What can you see happening with the release bearing? Is it seized? Does the bearing collar try to spin in the fork? Is there anything else that doesn't look right?

Ray
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:46 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Ray

I don't know what the bearing collar is but I found the bellhousing cover. Right next to it I found this spring lying on the crossmember. Any clue what it might go to? It's heavier than a carb spring. The rust on it makes it look kinda yellow under the camera but it's all rust.

I got the bellhousing cover off and it looks like this, covered in grime and oil of some sort. Click any link for a bigger image:

I'm guessing the collar is the thing this fork holds on to?

I pushed the clutch in with a 2' long board and it moved engine direction to the front of the engine.

It didnt seem to spin or act funny to my untrained eye. Also I didn't hear the skreeching noise either. That seems to only happen when I'm coasting in neutral or when I'm letting the engine slow the truck down while coasting.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:34 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

The throwout bearing is the part the fork is holding on to and the collar is that sleeve bolted to the transmission that the throwout bearing is sliding on. Besides the oil leak everything looks pretty good and your pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel have no oil on them so that is good! Does the oily stuff smell like gear lube? The part of the throwout bearing you can see won't spin unless the bearing is seized up in any position. The bearing part of it you cant see here pushes the pressure plate arms to disengage the clutch when you push the pedal.

That spring looks like a clutch return spring. Your clutch pedal should return clear up including a little pedal free play. If there is no free play the pedal is riding lightly on the throwout bearing causing it to spin all the time, and it should only spin when the pedal starts getting pressed past the freeplay. Usually the spring attaches to the fork outside the bell housing and then will hook to the frame somewhere.

Hopefully one of the V-6 gurus will post a pic of the clutch return spring position for you. I can only show you one on an I-6.

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday

Last edited by GMCDAC; August 31st, 2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:30 AM

Just for reference, here are pics of a clutch fork and throwout bearing from a 1964 Chevy pickup. They probably aren't identical but they do the same job as what you are showing.

Later---DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64 Chevy truck clutch arm 001.jpg (1.39 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg 64 Chevy truck clutch arm 002.jpg (1.38 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg 64 Chevy truck clutch arm 004.jpg (807.7 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)

Old August 31st, 2013, 06:25 PM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I don't know what the bearing collar is but I found the bellhousing cover. Right next to it I found this spring lying on the crossmember. Any clue what it might go to? It's heavier than a carb spring. The rust on it makes it look kinda yellow under the camera but it's all rust.

I got the bellhousing cover off and it looks like this, covered in grime and oil of some sort. Click any link for a bigger image:

I'm guessing the collar is the thing this fork holds on to?

I pushed the clutch in with a 2' long board and it moved engine direction to the front of the engine.

It didnt seem to spin or act funny to my untrained eye. Also I didn't hear the skreeching noise either. That seems to only happen when I'm coasting in neutral or when I'm letting the engine slow the truck down while coasting.
I agree on the fork return spring. This is supposed to pull the bearing away from the pressure plate fingers so it doesn't spin when your foot is off the pedal.
Am I the only one here who thinks the inner end of the clutch fork is too far forward in both the engaged and disengaged positions?

Ray

Last edited by raycow; September 1st, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old September 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM

Yeah, Ray, I agree with that angle, but didnt want to jump to conclusions since I can only look at an I 6 truck. Too short of a throwout bearing?

Later---DAC

Old September 1st, 2013, 06:40 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

. Here is a picture of the clutch return spring spring there is a hole in the frame and at the outside edge of the arm. The gmc and Chevy are the same.
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:53 PM
Banned

Well that did not work! Let me see if I can attach it again. The fact that it only happens under a coasting load while moving always leads me to the intermediate shaft in the Rockwell and spicer 18 cases. There is usually a grumbly or rough gear sound under power that is usually assumed to be normal as there is a lot of noise from the engine , and the rest of the drivetrain. Drain the oil and look to see if there is any metal in it.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM
Banned

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1378058731
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (202.8 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)