6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old June 28th, 2021, 02:32 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Stock exhaust end pipe

On my '65 GMC 1500, they cut off the exhaust pipe right behind the muffler. I would like to fit a new piece of exhaust pipe, that is routed exactly like the original single exhaust.
There is a hanger on the frame beam for a rubber exhaust mount, but that is the only reference I have.

Can someone supply a picture that shows how the stock exhaust end pipe (the pipe from the muffler on out) is routed?

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210418_140207.jpg (3.84 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
Old June 28th, 2021, 07:34 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Stock exhaust end pipe

Comes out behind rear tire, angled down a little. Open and zoom pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC exhaust.jpg (281.1 KB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg gmcpipe.jpg (52.5 KB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMCpipe2.jpg (214.6 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
Old June 29th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the pictures Ken,

It is difficult to make out however. Does the exhaust run like this? (enlarge the picture, I've drawn a blue line)

It anyone else has a good picture, please post them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust.JPG (91.8 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
Old June 29th, 2021, 07:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Prowbar, here are some pics from my 62 GMC that looks to have the original exhaust routing...

Old June 29th, 2021, 08:48 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I am not sure. In my original post, if you look at my lower left pic, at the top truck, you can see the tail pipe that seems to match the pic you zoomed up and marked. This would be slightly different than Funky61. I believe that the factory did it the way you have marked in order to clear any bumper for Wide side or Flare side that was ordered or upfitted. Funky's pipe does look pretty original. The GMC brochure pics are the best source, but hard to tell exact routing at the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMCpipe4.jpg (473.0 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMCpipe3.jpg (254.1 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)

Last edited by AZKen; June 29th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old June 30th, 2021, 06:42 AM

Appreciate the help gents. My frame has a exhaust mounting point behind the right rear wheel so I'm sure mine dumps out behind the rear tire. I'll go off the brochure pics. Maybe there is a different in stepside/fleetside/towing bumper option regarding the exhaust.

I'll try to make up a cardboard template and snap a picture. Then it is probably just a simple almost 45 degree bend in the pipe and match the pipe length to conform to the hanger position and try to replicate it as best as possible. Or go with the more complicated bend like in the brochure.
Old October 24th, 2021, 04:08 PM

Truck: 1964 I1000
Jethro is on a distinguished road

Back in the mid to late 80's I worked at a Midas muffler shop. We installed both stock and custom bent exhaust systems. When building pickup truck exhaust systems we recommended dumping the tailpipe out the side instead of the rear due to the air swirl in the bed.
When the tailpipes go straight out the back exhaust fumes will be drawn up into the bed and swirl around the back of the cab. More than one dog has died of carbon monoxide poisoning while riding in the bed of a pickup. If the truck has a sliding rear window the fumes will even come inside the cab.
I believe Funky's tailpipe is routed straight out the back due to interference with the utility bed.
No proof, just experience and what I was told.
Old October 25th, 2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Back in the mid to late 80's I worked at a Midas muffler shop. We installed both stock and custom bent exhaust systems. When building pickup truck exhaust systems we recommended dumping the tailpipe out the side instead of the rear due to the air swirl in the bed.
When the tailpipes go straight out the back exhaust fumes will be drawn up into the bed and swirl around the back of the cab. More than one dog has died of carbon monoxide poisoning while riding in the bed of a pickup. If the truck has a sliding rear window the fumes will even come inside the cab.
I believe Funky's tailpipe is routed straight out the back due to interference with the utility bed.
No proof, just experience and what I was told.
Makes sense. If you drive a hatchback with the trunk open the same thing happens.

By the way, the end pipe I made for the GMC is in my build thread if you have not seen it.