6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old September 10th, 2016, 03:15 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Valve lifter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoRoadDog View Post
Thanks for the info! It made me wonder when I pulled the other set out and they appeared to be the same.
I had seen in my search that the 235 lifters would work, but thought that was only talking about the hydraulic swap, didn't know there was a solid option as well. Didn't want to go hydraulic yet, as it looks to take a different cam profile, and I didn't want to re-grind a cam I just had ground...
I'll look at ordering up a set of the I-6 lifters.
Hydraulic lifters do indeed require a different cam profile than that of a solid lifter camshaft. It will also be of interest to you to note that lifters that are "cupped" should be discarded and replaced with new lifters. The cam lobe on which the "cupped" lifter was riding should also be checked for excessive wear, since cupped lifters also have a tendency to destroy the camshaft, to the point of the cam lobe being all but nonexistent. I have seen with my own eyes such cases. And, putting a new lifter on a badly worn cam lobe will do one thing, and one thing only---destroy that new lifter that you spent good money on!! I've seen this happen as well. Another point to remember here is, if you remove the lifters from the engine block during the rebuild process, make sure that they go back into the same bore that they came out of. The lifter has "mated" itself (via the break in process) to that particular cam lobe, and "mating" any given lifter to a different cam lobe can cause excessive camshaft wear and failure!! This was one point in engine rebuilding that was "pounded into our heads" by our Technical College Instructors!! I hope you find this information useful and helpful.
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:31 AM

Truck: 1967 K15
WyoRoadDog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Valve lifter question

Thanks for all the replies.
Looks like I need to go through and evaluate all the lifters I have and look to see what replacements are needed.
I should be clear of the issues with "mated" lifters, as the cam has been replaced and they would all be mating anew on break in.