6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Jeeps

A new project arrived today. It has a cool old bellevue winch and a warn overdrive. It also has a small block chevy I dont know what one though. There is a yellow jacket infestation and they were not happy with me. They did use an old advanced adapters chevy bellhousing adapter. Those are always handy. The original idea was to build the wagon using the truck for parts. But now i am not sure. Maybe a 305 v6 420 trans and a divorced 205 with a d60-d44 for the truck . and a 348- 700r4 divorced 205 with scout d44's for the wagon. Finally the boys jeep. Its a 60 cj5. here he is washing the frame. This ones getting restored with the original F head engine, vintage Koenig winch, warn OD, and naturally a powerlock in the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (3.36 MB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (3.29 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (3.28 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Default Re: Jeeps

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (3.34 MB, Multiple views, 20 clicks)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (3.26 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:17 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Good lookin jeeps Barry. nothing like working with your kids too. Priceless!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Nice Jeeps!
A buddy of mine has a 60 Willy's wagon. I almost bought it from him but it didn't happen. Always liked them!
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

Since 1989 I have had at least one jeep, and at times 3 or 4. My jeep part collection actually dwarfes my gmc parts. I never sell the jeep stuff. I have actually built 2 jeeps just from parts. The boy has it rough with the cj 5 he shops in my jeep shed. And yes I do make him pay me for what he wants. He was actually torn between a Koenig pto winch or an old warn 8274, or Bellevue winch. Life is rough. When I was his age I carried 2 old come a longs. He chose the Koenig because he thinks its funny that his rig has 5 levers sticking out of the floor.
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Banned

Well the boys cj5 is coming along its almost ready for paint on the frame and tranny transfer case is sorted out. Once we paint it I will post some pics. Second I have decided to build the Willys truck this winter. I have a 62 305 v6 and a 420 trans sitting and ready for a refresh. It was a good running engine so I will only put some seals and paint on this. This jeep will get an old Watson auxiliary behind the trans with a 2.11 under drive a direct drive and a .81 overdrive. Behind this goes a np 205. This will feed a d44 front from a scout with chevy 8 bolt hubs, and a custom by Barry d60 rear that is narrowed 6 inches. Both axles have Detroit lockers and 3.73 gears. This rig is my sleeper 4x4. Way old school. Usually I don't share much because I don't want to give away my secrets. But I think this build may help keep some of these old jimmies true to the old way of thinking. Extremely under driven and nicely overdriven. This old v6 will love it. Think about this. Lowest gearing @1800 rpm, wheels turns 16 times in one minute. Highest gear @ 1800 rpm wheels turn 600 times in one minute. I will post pics soon. Barry
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:30 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

That sounds pretty awesome!

I'm not at all familiar with the Watson trans. Are they pretty durable?
I guess the average Jeep is too short for an auxiliary trans and a divorced T-case so I never even thought of a combo like that.
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Banned

There is a reason you probably have not heard of them. First they are old, and in 1-1/2 to 2 ton trucks. 40's and 50's mostly. most people pay no attention to these. Second people like me say very little about these. Keeps the cost down. I pay from 20.00 to about 150.00. I find a lot of these every year and keep them in my stash. they made 2-3-4 speed boxes. Google watson and read up on them. They are made by spicer but most that I find are tagged Watson. I have married them to 205 t cases in the past and used 1 shaft to the trans but if I have the room i put them in a series divorced. The old K trucks work well with them but the 221 t case will die quickly. You really need over 100 inches of wheel base to make these work. But I could fit one up to a 420 and a 300 t case pretty easily and only add about 15 inches if I used a 30 series box. Are the strong enough? Well the smallest ones have 1.5 inch mainshafts and gears larger than a 420 trans. here is a 30 series 3 speed next to a 420. Most of my old trucks run these boxes mostly for the OD. But in a 4x4 they are crazy cool. The other pic is the old koenig on the 5. Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (3.23 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (3.29 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Banned

It's been a gear head weekend. I wanted to go hunting and wood cutting but instead I built a spicer 18 t case for the boys cj5 and got the old IR 180 ready to blow sprinklers. GACK. Late sept is best spent chasing blue grouse in the high country. I am not ready for fall. Well the only good thing is that the projects are ready to go, the rentals are full, and my oldest is 18 and taking a cross country trip. She is going alone and she is just like me. Smart ,good looking and stubborn . Good luck America. GOOD luck Annelise. One down and three to go. Now it's time to put jimmy v6 power to Willys old school coolness. Stay tuned. Barry
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:51 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It's been a gear head weekend. I wanted to go hunting and wood cutting but instead I built a spicer 18 t case for the boys cj5 and got the old IR 180 ready to blow sprinklers. GACK. Late sept is best spent chasing blue grouse in the high country. I am not ready for fall. Well the only good thing is that the projects are ready to go, the rentals are full, and my oldest is 18 and taking a cross country trip. She is going alone and she is just like me. Smart ,good looking and stubborn . Good luck America. GOOD luck Annelise. One down and three to go. Now it's time to put jimmy v6 power to Willys old school coolness. Stay tuned. Barry
Fall coming and kids leaving. Bittersweet, right? I hate the idea of the Redhead leaving in a couple of years.

Sounds like you have it all together though with the boys keeping you nice and busy. I cant wait to see the V6 drop in

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.