6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old April 11th, 2019, 10:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

They didn't even give me trouble going throuth the farm bumper and into the bed rail.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It took a 5/8" wrench on the bottom bolts, but this one was just 1/2".

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

But now she's back to good. You know, she doesn't look like much, but I sure do love piddling with her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 4th, 2019, 06:40 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
olsonrambler is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the tutorial--came in handy since I'm working on my Muncie 318.
Old October 9th, 2019, 02:44 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thank you for the tutorial--came in handy since I'm working on my Muncie 318.
Thanks OR, i'm glad it helped! Hey, if you get it back together and it won't stay in second, let me know if you fix that problem

Today i got to love on my baby a little bit. I did NOT take any pictures though

because we've already established that I'm an idiot.

So here's what went down. That dorman slave cylinder I bought? It's on now. Leaked brake fluid all down my arm and into some cracks that I thought wouldn't accept a leak, but they did. However, now that it's on and bled out, my clutch doesn't leak anymore! Here's how I did it, in words only (again, sorry!)

Get new dorman slave cylinder.
Get a 9/16 socket and wrench.
Get crescent wrench for juice tube from clutch line.
Set emergency brake. Watch truck roll as brake is set.
Mutter some stuff your mama shouldn't hear you say.
Get a big butt brick and set it under one wheel. Smile at your ingenuity.

Remind yourself to fix that e-brake tension later.

Crawl under truck, forgetting to remove your hat. Bang head on fender.
Force head under through the tire well with anger, knocking off hat into brake fluid puddle.
Use hat to sop up brake puddle since it's there anyway. May as well!

Poke at rubber sleeve on slave cylinder. move quickly to prevent gush of fluid from landing in eye. Remember to wash hair extra tonight.

Finally, put 9/16 socket on bottom bolt on slave cylinder and loosen. Do the same for top bolt.
Once loose, take out and let cylinder hang.
Pull out the rod that goes to the throw out bearing arm and lay on ground.
Use crescent wrench and try to brake loose juice line from clutch. Realize you should have done this before removing the bolts.
Keep trying it because you're stubborn. Get more brake fluid in face and down both arms. It's a bath now.

Finally brake it loose without bending metal juice line. Horray!

Remove slave cylinder and put on ground. Throw from under truck. Cat hisses.

Remember that you should put plumbers tape on juice connection to prevent leaks and run out from under truck to get it.

Get sidetracked on a drink, talking to a neighbor.

Get back to work with only 1 hour to spare before the kids get home. Yikes!
Reattach slave cylinder but forget to put push rod back in.
Remove slave cylinder.
Reattach push rod by pushing into slave cylinder.
Put push rod through clutch bracket thing again.
Put two bolts back in slave cylinder, which is in the wrong location now, and looks backwards.
It is backwards.
Turn it back around.
Decide to connect the juice line first this time.
It won't go in. wonder if you bought the wrong replacement part.
Finally get it lined up and tightened up. Forgot plumber's tape.

Remove line and add plumber's tape. Thankfully it's in the right direction.
Line up juice line again and after just 13 tries it goes back in. Thank goodness.

Remember you have to bleed it and loosen bleed bolt.

Poke rod through clutch bracket again.
Put two bolts back in slave cylinder and get them lined up after only 5-900 tries.
Wife comes out now and remarks on how tan I look with all the black on my face from the undercarriage dirt. Say something witty. I didn't. But pretend I did.

Tighten bolts up good, but not so good that they strip out.
Mash clutch push rod in all the way because it comes pressed out, not in.
Now adjust your push rod nut if necessary.
Get kid to mash clutch, sending brake fluid all over your already soaked face and arms until bled thoroughly.

Enjoy your new puddle-less clutch!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 9th, 2019, 02:48 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Now I really need to fix that 2nd gear problem. I need to drive her tomorrow so we might have to take the slow lane, I guess.

It's really weird, I can get it to go in second, but it's like it doesn't go far enough into gear, then when I push the gas and it gets a load on (acceleration), it pops out of gear and I'm left revving my engine.

I'll figure it out eventually, but if anyone has any tips i'd be glad to hear 'em!

Old October 9th, 2019, 06:37 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Well i tell you hwat, fellas.

Cecilia tried to kill me today. I got her up, engine was great, and off we went to pick up some insulation from Lowes.
On the way back heading up the hill to my place she decided she didn't want to go in gear - any gear. At all. She'd touch on second gear and grind slightly, but not move at all of course, because second gear hasn't worked in a while.
But now she won't even grind in reverse, 1st, or third. I'm worried things are buggared up in there.

So here I was on a major four lane road and cars whizzing by giving me evil looks (why???) and so I stop, yank on the e-brake, and POP! My cable breaks. HAHA!

Now I'm stuck in the truck with my foot on the brake, no gears to move forward, and no way to stop the truck from rolling so i can get under there and fiddle with it.

Thankfully a construction worker happened by with a tow strap and he hauled me all the way to next-to my yard. I'm about 100 feet from parked. I thank God above for good people.

My plan now is to see if I can get it to go in first somehow manually, then get her parked in the drive so I can pull the transmission again (fun times!) and see what's buggared up.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; October 9th, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old October 10th, 2019, 01:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Here's a funny little way to get your truck turned around if you can't move it under its own power. We were sideways to the gate to put Cecilia up, so we pushed her up past the gate to where the front wheels were past the gate, but the back were even with the gate.

Then I jacked up the back under the pumpkin, put a 4x4 piece of wood about 3" tall under the bumper, then let it down slowly while pushing the back toward the gate.

After 20 minutes and about 10 up/down pushes, we got the back end pointed into the gate and were able to push her back home. Hard work, dangerous because she could fall. But it was successful and now she won't be towed!

Here's a pic of the powder puff putting the 4x4 under the back while I maneuver the jack. Actually, all you can see of her is a gray boot under the pumpkin. The board is already set and leaning a bit in the way we want to move. She's getting big guys. You wouldn't believe it if I showed you.

Old June 20th, 2020, 07:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Ok guys, I finally had time to dig into poor ol' Cecilia yesterday. I pulled the tranny just like before, except I clamped a vise grip on the 4wd shifter first, then took out the u joint bolts, the inspection cover for the clutch, and the four bolts on the front of the tranny.

When I got it open, 1st/reverse gear was stuck on neutral. Second gear was stuck on neutral. Neither would move.

Why?

Somehow two or three of those small needle bearings that go on the center of the main shaft fell off and got chewed up under the 2nd/3rd gear that slides back and forth. See the paste that the gears turned that bearing into...

Thankfully these are tough transmissions and it pretty much just ate one bearing for dinner and froze up with the other two in the gears that the second/third gear clutch runs back and forth on. The gray spots on the teeth here are the paste the bearing left as it got chewed up. I had a rebuild kit on hand so I just cleaned it up and put new bearings in.

Also, those rubber bands I put on the bearings the first time do NOT disintegrate after a few days.

This time I used brake caliper grease on the bearings. It was thick and good at holding everything together. For the fat bearings at the bottom, I just stuck them in the transmission housing and lined them up with a long screwdriver, then put the washer on them to hold them still.

Everything slid back together without a hiccup, then I tested the shifting with a pair of vise grips. Shifting was smooth, nice, and second gear now worked. Finally!

It's going to rain this weekend so probably won't be until Monday before I get it back in but as soon as I do I'll be on the road again. I miss my baby girl.

Old June 25th, 2020, 05:57 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Well we're going from frying pan to fryer here in Cecilia-land. I got her transmission reinstalled and the shifting works great, but there's still no engagement from the engine.
My prayer is that the clutch is stuck open (spring?) and I won't have to pull it again, but my fear is a broken flywheel. I'll get it back apart when I get more free time and post an update.

Old September 14th, 2020, 04:50 PM

Truck: 1964 Longbed 305
JoelNC is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this. Super helpful!
Old September 14th, 2020, 05:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

You're welcome! And welcome to the site (saw it was your first post)

I guess I forgot to update this thread too. I got the transmission installed again (I did mention that.../) and started the engine. Vroom!!!
Then I shifted into first gear...Vroom!
And still Cecilia refused to move. I had the Powder Puff sit in there and hold a foot on the brake for semi-safety (yes, she can reach the pedals now!!) then I crawled under the truck.
THe transmission was turning like crazy! I could see it moving all the way up until it hit the transfer case for 4wd.....

And that's when it hit me.

I jumped back in and commented to the Powder Puff how stupid I was, and how you should never be like Daddy, and how I'm probably going to quit working on anything from this point forward because I'm obviously getting senile.

Then I pressed the clutch, shifted the transfer case out of neutral and into 2wd, and Cecilia obediently moved forward.