6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old August 17th, 2013, 07:24 PM

Truck: 1966 3/4 ton longbed
AndrewJoey is on a distinguished road
Default Mechanic Recommendation in WA???

I live in the Sumner/Auburn area here in WA state. Does anyone know a local old school mechanic who works on '66 GMCs ?
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:00 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mechanic Recommendation in WA???

I'm gonna be honest with you...

...if you're gonna own an older vehicle you need to learn how to work on it. For the price of one trip to a mechanic you can buy some basic tools. Most libraries have a reference section that contain all the information you need. I take pictures of the pages that have the important info so I have it when I need it.

The good news is these are pretty easy to work on . Most carb/timing adjustments are about the same for cars of the era.
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:42 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I can't help you with a mech, but like Tommy said they're easy to work on.

Are you still having issues with starting? Take a video of you trying it and lets hear the problem. These guys can talk you through just about anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:03 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

Being a Machanic all my life, I would say they are easy to work on, but I have also learned over the years there are some poeple that should not work on their own stuff, even after being shown how to do it.

So if you one of those people I say find a good machanic, best place to look for an old school mechanic is in a local car club, and they may even help you out for a lot less than a shop the needs to make a living off of doing your work.

I help out friends for free or maybe lunch....

on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:10 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Andrew,

I was raised by a single parent (mom) never had an interest in anything auto/mechanical until January 2000 when I got my first GMC; everything since then I've learned. I'm currently re-wiring my truck after an 11 year process. Had it in the paint booth when Katrina hit.

Here is my suggestion; join a local club or several for that matter, get to know the guys/gals -(there yes many gals in this hobby) and you'll be surprised that as you ask questions you will probably meet a member or two who has done exactly what you need help with.

When I'm stumped (as I have ben with wiring) I reach out to fellow BB members and club members. Example; I asked a local club member who wired his car to give me some pointers, NOT to do the work, but just be on hand to talk/BS while I did the work. 99% of the time they will end up helping you.

And as you get more into the hobby/passion/addition and have several items/techniques under YOUR belt you in turn will probably end up helping others.

A case in point: I can't paint a car BUT I can offer to sandblast parts for another member - remember ALL of us started just where you are for the most part. This hobby yfor the most part is one GIGANIC swap shop - whether it be parts/tool/ideas or labor. Think about why we are on this very BB - you asked a question.

To quote Spock..... "There is a first time for all things"

Jake

Last edited by jbgroby; August 18th, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:44 AM

Thanks guys, I agree. I've never worked on an old car before and I've learned a ton so far. I lowered it, front and back, replaced the wood bed, learned how to adjust the timing, and rebuilt the carb, changed over the ignition and coil. Not too bad for a beginner.
At this point I think I need to replace the whole carb. I will replace the vacuum advance first and try to adjust the timing again before that. As a last resort I'll take it to a mechanic.
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:55 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

Some good suggestons from these guys Andrew. I kinda lean toward what Jolly says. Not everybody who loves old trucks/cars/tractors/motorcycles is good at the mechanical work. It's a smart man who knows his limitations and works around them. To find an old school mechanic I'd suggest you talk with the guys at your local wrecking yards, auto parts stores, and machine shops. Also joining one of the local car or old machinery clubs will put you in touch with the kinds of guys you're looking for. I found a great machinst to do some of the impossible work on my old tractor motors of the 20's and 30's. I was standing in the hot dog line at our local swap meet and started talking to the guy in front of me who happpened to be a Model A Ford collector. He turned me onto this machinist. Just keep enjoying that ol' truck!!
Old December 30th, 2013, 04:29 AM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road

Andrew,

I too have been reluctant to get into more complicated repairs, but have changed my carburetor from a stock 2BB Stromberg (with oil bath air cleaner) that needed rebuilding to a new 500 cfm 2BB Holley 4412. It isn't that hard to do as long as the studs mounting the old carburetor aren't rusted into the intake manifold. But you do need to be careful about dropping things into the manifold, and there are other parts that you need to know about. These include (as best I can remember) an adapter plate and gaskets, fuel line fittings to hook up to your existing fuel line, and an air cleaner housing that fits on whatever carburetor you end up with. You will probably also need an in-line fuel filter to replace the problematic fuel filter attached to stock Stromberg carburetors. On my 64 GMC 305E 3/4 ton pickup, the accelerator rod and return spring hooked up to the Holley without any changes, but the choke cable was a little short and eventually needed to be replaced (because I put a kink in it). My truck runs much better with the new carburetor - smoother idle, more power and acceleration, and improved freeway performance. But, on the other hand, my gas mileage got worse. So I am planning (when I can get to it) to put smaller jets in the carburetor, which seems to be running rich and might be more than a 305 ci engine needs. As stated by others, members of this site are very helpful in answering questions.

Regarding mechanics, I am sensitive about the quality of my work on things that would be expensive or hard to replace or that could affect stopping, so I occasionally take my truck to experienced mechanics to confirm that things like brake systems are working properly (I have replaced brake parts as needed and switched from a single-reservoir to a dual-reservoir master cylinder after losing both front and rear brakes when a hose broke - luckily, the rear-wheels emergency brake was still working).

Having driven (sometimes more, sometimes less) my truck for many years, I appreciate the peace of mind that comes with knowing that the suspension is likely to stay together, hoses aren't about to burst, belts won't be breaking soon, and pieces aren't falling off. Other than the brake failure, the only problems that have left me by the side of the road are bad points and failed mechanical fuel pumps. The points were my fault. And the best advice I can come up with is to carry a spare fuel pump with the tools needed to change it.

JRMunn
Old December 30th, 2013, 06:15 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

I gotta say, however.....before you get to carried away with spending your lunch money.....you might be smart to check your valve lash. (especially if anyone's been into the top end).

Good tidings.
Old December 30th, 2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdriller View Post
I gotta say, however.....before you get to carried away with spending your lunch money.....you might be smart to check your valve lash. (especially if anyone's been into the top end).

Good tidings.
I agree, but here's where I show my inexperience, what the heck is a valve lash?