6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:22 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Early Morning Free Fun

I know it's off topic but any of you guys that get up early, and I know alot of you do, you can get a great look at comet ISON this week coming up in the east/se just before the sun comes up before it gets ripped apart on it's suicide mission less than one suns width by the sun. Once in a lifetime event.

It should be nice and bright just about one to three "hand" widths up above the horizon, not counting hills and mountains or stuff.

me and the kids will be checking it out Saturday morning.

More Info:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...193909261.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Early Morning Free Fun

Thanks for the "heads UP!"
I enjoy me some backyard Astronomy when I can.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:33 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

My girl and I are up and about every hour or so all night (and morning) long.
We'll be watching.
Thanks, Pepsi.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

We tried this morning guys but it was too cloudy (and cold) to see anything. Hope you guys have better luck!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:22 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

Yo Fetch, if my eyes aren't readin' fuzzy again, that picture you posted said the ISON would be visible from Dec 1st through Dec 17th. I dunno bout KS but over here in CA it's only November 23rd.
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:46 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

The picture timeline there shows times after the comet passes closest to the sun I guess. I don't know why they show that because the comet might not even exist by then if it breaks up. I'll see if I can get Jeannie to change the picture because i cant edit it anymore.

It's this week that it'll be most visible up until November 28th when it gets the closest it'll ever be to the sun then BOOM! It either melts down to a small rock then speeds back out into space or it breaks apart and becomes dust.

Either way this is the week to get your view on. I'm sorry for the messed up pic with the calendar. I'll buy everyone a round of early morning get-up coffee to make up for it.

Old November 25th, 2013, 01:33 AM

All right, Fetch...
Here's about where I lost ya...
"The picture timeline there shows times after the comet passes closest to the sun I guess. I don't know why they show that because the comet might not even exist by then if it breaks up."

Then everything got kinda fuzzy...aa...aand that's about when I got:
" I'll buy everyone a round of.......... ('got kinda fuzzy again')and then............... to make up for it."
Well....I'm good with that.

I'll be thinkin about what you're up to at about 4:30..... while I'm lookin E/SE into a pink, clear and cold pre-dawn sky.... pondering the Time/Space continuum and possible 4th dimensional effects on ISON's early demise....due to getting too close to the sun....and of course...has it already happened...?

I'll be watchin...
................and thinkin.
Old November 29th, 2013, 06:17 PM

Truck: 1966 930 GMC
pautsch_gmc is on a distinguished road

thanks for the post...i normally try to follow these things but i'v been off my game for a while now.

I got looking more into the comet and I found an interactive map/chart to show when is the best time to see the comet.

http://www.solarsystemscope.com/ison/

again thanks for the heads up
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM

It's Monday, Dec. 2nd...at about 1:45 AM.....I aint seen anything...(fer days)....
Except "Sea Hunt" on the "this" channel.

Are you toyin with me, Pepsi.....?
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:58 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdriller View Post
It's Monday, Dec. 2nd...at about 1:45 AM.....I aint seen anything...(fer days)....
Except "Sea Hunt" on the "this" channel.

Are you toyin with me, Pepsi.....?
Not toyin with ya but I think youre a little early for sunrise. It doesnt come up here till almost 7am

It ended up passing the sun on Thanksgiving day. Heres a compilation of pictures put into video

We missed it because of weather and thanksgiving. It already broke up alot but its on its way back out through the solar system. We might get another shot at seeing it as it heads back out.
From this page:
Quote:
"As December goes on, it will get farther way from the sun, and it will be up in the night sky," NASA scientist Michelle Thaller of the Goddard Space Flight Center said before the solar passage. "By the time you get to mid to late December, if you look up to about the Big Dipper, it should be right there if it survives the sun."