6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old January 6th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Truck: Looking for a new toy
bdshumaker is on a distinguished road
Default frame numbers

Hey all, I finally got a truck to play with! It's not a GMC per se, but then again, it is. I bought, on Ebay, what I thought was a 1964 C10 SWB from Reno, NV. I flew out with the intention of driving it 1700 miles back to Iowa. Anyway, I get there at 9pm and look over the truck to find it has leaf springs! At that point I thought about walking away but I had no way home so sucked it up and bought it. I'm home now and trying to sort it all out. From the listing I knew it had a cab from a long bed but I was shocked to find the GMC chassis. It is titled as a model 1534 Chevy, which matches the original documents but now I'm trying to find the GMC VIN on the frame. I can find no number on the top of the frame in the engine bay and all I could find was 2443630 8 17 77 76 stamped into the side of the frame below the drivers door. What is this number?
I can still be a member, can't I?

Brian
Old January 6th, 2014, 11:09 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: frame numbers

Welcome to the obsession! GMC didn't stamp the frames, only the cabs. If you see a number on the frame and it is really a GMC frame then that's a usually a part number.

Where's the pics? gotta feed the addicts you know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:59 PM

Truck: Looking for a new toy
bdshumaker is on a distinguished road

Really!, no numbers? That seems odd. Chevy has them in two spots, on the top of the drivers side frame, 23" form the front and again, just under the cab.
Well this frame has nothing on top so it must be a GMC, so I have half a GMC at least. Hmmm, should I make it a full GMC or a full Chevy, or when asked by passerby's "Is that a GMC or a Chevy?", I'll say "yup". Here's a pic from frigid Iowa upon delivery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (2).JPG (3.38 MB, Multiple views, 15 clicks)
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:17 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Yup, chivveee was the only one to stamp the frame. GMC only did the door posts. As for what you should make it, well you can probably guess my vote

It looks like someone shrunk her down a little though. If you don't know for sure how it was done it might be worth a look for safety's sake. Lots of kids go after them with a torch and welder and they'll fall apart on you at 65mph. If its done well then at least you'll know. That's a good lookin truck!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Welcome Brian! Nice shortbed you have; more photos when you are able.
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:58 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Looks more like a Chivy with the hood, grille and Custom cab emblems. What about the dash and powerplant?
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:21 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshumaker View Post
Really!, no numbers? That seems odd. Chevy has them in two spots, on the top of the drivers side frame, 23" form the front and again, just under the cab.
Well this frame has nothing on top so it must be a GMC, so I have half a GMC at least. Hmmm, should I make it a full GMC or a full Chevy, or when asked by passerby's "Is that a GMC or a Chevy?", I'll say "yup". Here's a pic from frigid Iowa upon delivery.
Nice looking shortbox! More pics would be cool. This is just a WAY out there guess, but I wonder since Chevy's were standard with coils, and GMC's standard with leafs, that they just used a GMC frame and suspension when someone would special order a Chevy with leaf springs?? Would have saved a lot of work at the assembly plant.

It's ok with me if you can still be a member!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:44 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Standard? I've seen both. My '61 is stock coils.
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:59 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDShaffer View Post
Standard? I've seen both. My '61 is stock coils.
That would be correct for a '61

However, according to the information Jolly had put together, in '63 GMC went to leaf springs on the rear.

http://6066gmcguy.com/GMCID2.html

I don't recall the year of Chevrolet that was here briefly, but it had coils on the rear but as I recall it was a later than '62 chassis.
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:01 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDAC View Post
Nice looking shortbox! More pics would be cool. This is just a WAY out there guess, but I wonder since Chevy's were standard with coils, and GMC's standard with leafs, that they just used a GMC frame and suspension when someone would special order a Chevy with leaf springs?? Would have saved a lot of work at the assembly plant.

It's ok with me if you can still be a member!

DAC
I've also seen GMCs which had parts replaced with Chevrolet due to accident or owner preference.
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500