6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old April 10th, 2019, 08:05 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dash is dead no lights no gauges nothing

Well I knew it'd happen eventually. I killed a big part of Cecilia and now I don't know what to do to fix it.

Lil' history:
My gas gauge never registers empty even though it's new. Empty gauge = no resistance on the wire. Full gauge = 100% resistance. So it's getting some resistance somewhere.

I narrowed it down to the dash gauge, possibly the electrical plug back there. When I wiggled the wires it would work for a second, then go back to 1/4 or 1/8th of a tank.

So I rigged up a wire from the negative lead on the battery and touched it to my fuel gauge. It worked! But as I pulled it away, I accidentally tapped the other side of the gauge (closest to the speedometer) and ZAP!! Sparks flew.

Now nothing on the instrument panel works. I checked the glass fuses and they're all OK. Is there a hidden fuse somewhere?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 10th, 2019, 08:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dash is dead no lights no gauges nothing

Well scratch that. it cooked the connection from that post to the pin in the wiring harness plug thingy, which knocked out the positive connection to all the rest of the top lights (gen, low oil, etc). A little cleanup and mashing got them touching again, but I think they'll need soldering now. That ribbon of copper is soooo thin!

Shucks!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 10th, 2019, 08:51 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I found the resistance - it was in the thin copper sheet under that fuel gauge nut (the ground). It was resisting 0.09, but now that I've got it cleaned off, resisting 0.00, and back together, the ground wire in the harness isn't working at all. I think I might have fried a wire. Does anyone know where the black wire in the harness goes to ground out? The pink wire goes to the positive terminal. It may have been red at one time.

But the black next to it just disappears into the dash. (Looks black, found out it's brown.) I guess I could run a new one, but that wouldn't be very "stock".

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; April 11th, 2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:25 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Well it's the Pepsi show today, haha. I found out where that brown wire goes - it goes straight to the gas tank, ya doof! I can't believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together faster than that.

Anyway, I've got it working again. I'll post an update on my build thread tonight.

Old April 13th, 2019, 06:34 PM

Truck: 1961 Stepside-305 V6
GTS61 is on a distinguished road

Hahahaha sounds like you fixed your problem by yourself there Fetch!!