6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old July 4th, 2014, 04:51 AM

Truck: 1965 gmc wideside
randallgrunert is on a distinguished road
Default New gas tank

hello fellow V6ers. Don't know if any of you have installed on of those between the rails gas tanks yet. My suggestion is don't. First the straps they send will not bolt up in the right location to allow the filler and vent lines to connect. I cut the cross rail so that the tank would bolt directly to the lower side of my frame. Next comes the filler tube. This sets the filler coming over the top of the frame. After several hours of fit and reject I finally cut the filler tube at about an 18 degree angle and tig welded a piece of pipe to allow the filler to be installed in the bed just behind the rear of the drivers side inner fender. I used a Perko filler with a vent tube assembly. I could of installed the filler directly to the tank fill but would of lost the vent. After all the work I feel that it would have been easier to have a tank custom built. The system I installed will work but was a lot more work than it is worth. If any one is interested I will load pictures of my install. and would appreciate any pictures of other installs. Wishing all a happy, safe and great 4th celebration.
Old July 5th, 2014, 02:16 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New gas tank

If you have been following me on here, you know I can olny drive about 100 miles before I need to change the fuel filters.

also you know the tank in my truck is behind the seat as well as the filler neck for it.

so the Question is what to do....

I found this, a fuel tank off a reefer trailer, its 22" round and 34" long, thats about 56 gallons.

Still working out were and how to mount it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:11 AM

Truck: 1963
gmc1963 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallgrunert View Post
hello fellow V6ers. Don't know if any of you have installed on of those between the rails gas tanks yet. My suggestion is don't. First the straps they send will not bolt up in the right location to allow the filler and vent lines to connect. I cut the cross rail so that the tank would bolt directly to the lower side of my frame. Next comes the filler tube. This sets the filler coming over the top of the frame. After several hours of fit and reject I finally cut the filler tube at about an 18 degree angle and tig welded a piece of pipe to allow the filler to be installed in the bed just behind the rear of the drivers side inner fender. I used a Perko filler with a vent tube assembly. I could of installed the filler directly to the tank fill but would of lost the vent. After all the work I feel that it would have been easier to have a tank custom built. The system I installed will work but was a lot more work than it is worth. If any one is interested I will load pictures of my install. and would appreciate any pictures of other installs. Wishing all a happy, safe and great 4th celebration.
i want to do that to my 63. pictures would be good.