6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old April 12th, 2016, 06:38 AM

Truck: 1963 gmc c1500
Noahr63 is on a distinguished road
Default Kids and carbs. Education needed.

The young ones like myself have little to no experiance with carbs. I have peraonally only delt with small engine carburaters myself not always succesfully.

I have a 63 gmc 1500 with a 305 and the 4 speed. Im assuming its the stromberg 2bbl carb. On two seperate occations the truck has left me frusterated and on the side of the road. She seemed to run good...although without any choke there has always been a strong hesitation upon takeoff since i have owned her. She seems to die out and then revs.Previous owner claimed to have rebuilt the carb. Both times she would sputter as if choking out and then die. Nothing seemed to work for a restart. I poured gas in the carb and she would run off of it and then die before i could add more. On a side note gas seemed to leak out of the side where the throttle cable connects when i added gas .to much?after about 45 minuted i was able to get enough gas in and she ran under ger own fuel. Is this a carb issue or maybe the fuel pump. Im no mechanic but i am eager to learn . As she means so much to me id like to be able to claim that i have done all repairs myself if possible.

On a side note she is currently running an oil bath breather on the carb. Im sure this is stock. Id like to run a paper element however i do not know where to get one that would fit. I took part or the cleaner in to see if anything from a parts store would fit however almost everything was way to big to fit the carb. Any ideas?
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:11 AM

Truck: 1970 GMC RM-7500 based Motorhome
WE7X is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kids and carbs. Education needed.

The first thing I would attempt to determine, is if the problem is fuel or ignition.
Form what you describe, I think it could possibly be either.
Ignition coils, and ballast resistors can intermittently fail from heat, and Vapor Lock is usually attributed to heat also.
If no ignition, then adding fuel will not help, but will flood the motor, and sitting is the only cure. Sitting also cools things down so any potential Vapor Lock may go away also.
I also have a '56 GMC with the factory 330+ Cu. In. GMC V8. It suffers badly from Vapor Lock, after idling for 10 minutes or so. It slowly dies as though it rans out of fuel ( which is what Vapor Lock causes).

Once you know it is fuel and not ignition, then meaningful work can be done to solve the issue.

Keep us informed.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA.

401's and 478's
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:17 AM

I was leaning twords fuel because adding fuel to the carbs seemed to get her going. But only long enough to die again. As if sge just ran on what i dumped in the carb.
Old April 12th, 2016, 02:22 PM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road

pull the fuel line off that goes to the carb, turn the engine over, capture the fuel into a jar, you will be able to see if pump is working. also pump the throttle, with enginge not running, looking in the carb, should be squirting fuel into carb, if not bad accelerator pump. If all that is working check your float level. Check point gap, check to see if points are pitted.
Old April 12th, 2016, 03:26 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

On a side note she is currently running an oil bath breather on the carb. Im sure this is stock. Id like to run a paper element however i do not know where to get one that would fit. I took part or the cleaner in to see if anything from a parts store would fit however almost everything was way to big to fit the carb. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

For a paper type air cleaner if you intend to keep running the stock carburetor, a GM 2bbl air cleaner assembly from the mid 60's to 70's that used the Rochester 2G or 2GC carburetor, preferably from a V8 truck.
Old April 12th, 2016, 03:27 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road

Start with simple things. Change the fuel filter and install new points. I had a similar stop and start problem that I was sure was lack of fuel but turned out to be bad points.

JRMunn
Old April 12th, 2016, 06:03 PM

Are points reletivley eazy to do for an aspiring back yard mechanic?
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:34 PM

Truck: Shopping for a 1960-61 4x4
Jeannie is on a distinguished road

Noah,

Lack of gas or starvation could also be your filters. You should have one inline by the carburetor and also a canister style under the passenger side of the truck under the cab.

Good luck,

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:51 PM

Truck: 1960 GMC 1000 Fenderside Long Bed 2WD 305A 3-Speed
GMC Guy is on a distinguished road

You are welcome to check out the pics of my oil bath air filter modification to a paper filter. Let me know if you have a problem with the link? https://gmcguy.shutterfly.com/pictures/1449
1960 GMC 1000 Fenderside Long Bed 2WD 305A 3-Speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 13th, 2016, 02:08 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

do these trucks have a screen in fuel tank? if there is alot of debris / rust in tank, it can plug screen. after sitting awhile the sediment falls away from screen allowing fuel to pass until screen plugs again. when the truck wont start, pull the outlet line off fuel pump and crank engine. if fuel pumps out while cranking the pump and tank are ok. if no fuel, remove inlet line from pump have some crank engine, hold your finger over inlet port on pump. you should be able to feel suction. if no suction, replace pump