6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:17 AM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDAC View Post
Yeah, Ray, I agree with that angle, but didnt want to jump to conclusions since I can only look at an I 6 truck. Too short of a throwout bearing?
That's what I was wondering, or maybe a too-short ballstud. They are made in different lengths for Chevys, but I don't know if that's also true for GMC.

Ray
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. That clutch return spring, does anyone have a pic of where it hooks on to the fork? I didn't see any other piece like shown in Barry's pic. I guess I can bend a coathanger and make it fit on the spring. Could it be that the spring being off is causing a screeching?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

It's on the end right by the rod. You could go get a longer spring. That's why I showed you the length. Maybe the sqeek is from this but you should be able to recreate it when not moving.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:37 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Ok guys I put the spring on it like this but it still made the squealy noise. I did find out that it's not making the noise in the transfer case so it's got to be tranny related. I drained it today and prepared to remove it.

I've got the linkage off and I figured out how to get the shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell out. The transmission though, does it bolt to the flywheel or just those two bolts on the crossmember?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1853 [800x600].JPG (76.8 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; September 3rd, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:19 AM
Banned

Before you take it out put the t case in neutral and try to recreate the sounds. Take a 3/8 dowel about two feet long. Have someone run the truck and while they run it listen to the trans all over . You use the dowel as a listening stick. Put one end in your ear and the other end at the point you want to listen to. Now don't laugh you will be amazed at what you hear. You can practice on your valve train . Move along the valve covers. Listen and compare areas. Every rig I buy that runs gets the stick treatment. I have two one is about two feet and the other is about 5. I actually jack up the driving axels and run it and listen to everything, front to back. You would be amazed with a little practice how you can identify a failing or failed bearing and locate it.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:17 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Ok guys I put the spring on it like this but it still made the squealy noise. I did find out that it's not making the noise in the transfer case so it's got to be tranny related. I drained it today and prepared to remove it.

I've got the linkage off and I figured out how to get the shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell out. The transmission though, does it bolt to the flywheel or just those two bolts on the crossmember?
Hey, Fetch, no the tranny doesn't bolt to the flywheel. The transmission input shaft pokes through the clutch disk that is between the flywheel and pressure plate. You may have to clean some grease up to see it but the transmission may have 2 bottom bolts through the bellhousing from the flywheel side into the transmission case. They may go from the outside in also, but I have never dealt with a 3 speed in one of these trucks. Then you probably will have to take out the transmission hump inside of the cab to get at the top two bolts that go through the transmission case into the bell housing. The '62 K2500 I had was a 4speed so I can't tell you exactly what to do but all standard tranny engines have a bellhousing that bolts to the engine block, then the transmission bolts to the bellhousing in some form, usually 4 bolts. The two bolts on the crossmember are the bellhousing mounts that hold up the rear of the engine and support the transmission.

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:22 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Before you take it out put the t case in neutral and try to recreate the sounds. Take a 3/8 dowel about two feet long. Have someone run the truck and while they run it listen to the trans all over . You use the dowel as a listening stick. Put one end in your ear and the other end at the point you want to listen to. Now don't laugh you will be amazed at what you hear. You can practice on your valve train . Move along the valve covers. Listen and compare areas. Every rig I buy that runs gets the stick treatment. I have two one is about two feet and the other is about 5. I actually jack up the driving axels and run it and listen to everything, front to back. You would be amazed with a little practice how you can identify a failing or failed bearing and locate it.

I thought of that too! I put it in neutral today when I was trying to narrow it down. It still made the noise even when I wasn't rolling when I pushed the clutch in. I didn't know about the stick trick though. I'll be putting that one in my bag of tricks

Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDAC View Post
Hey, Fetch, no the tranny doesn't bolt to the flywheel. The transmission input shaft pokes through the clutch disk that is between the flywheel and pressure plate. You may have to clean some grease up to see it but the transmission may have 2 bottom bolts through the bellhousing from the flywheel side into the transmission case. They may go from the outside in also, but I have never dealt with a 3 speed in one of these trucks. Then you probably will have to take out the transmission hump inside of the cab to get at the top two bolts that go through the transmission case into the bell housing. The '62 K2500 I had was a 4speed so I can't tell you exactly what to do but all standard tranny engines have a bellhousing that bolts to the engine block, then the transmission bolts to the bellhousing in some form, usually 4 bolts. The two bolts on the crossmember are the bellhousing mounts that hold up the rear of the engine and support the transmission.

Later---DAC

Got it! I'll take those two out tomorrow and try to get at the other four if my time doesn't run out. Kids are out again tomorrow so I should be free. If I can get it dropped out and look at the bearings, clutch etc I'm hoping I can see something obvious that needs fixing.

Old September 7th, 2013, 11:08 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I got the transmission off today (4 semi-easy bolts) but the bellhousing is giving me fits.

I got the crossmember bolts out and fought to get the other four out, but it still acts like it's not free.
i took loose the clutch piston thingy (hydraulics) too and the bottom bolt of the starter. Still not budging. Am I missing something or should I just put a jack under it and heave ho?

Old September 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Banned

F.M.A.P. Dont pull the bell-housing. First its what supports the back of the engine. second you can fully service the clutch, through the bottom and bearing index hole.