6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Closed Thread

Old November 25th, 2016, 05:33 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 1/2 ton SWB Fleetside
AngryPirate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 Pick up VIN location

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzypig View Post
Don't know if I should step in here, but just wanted to share my knowledge and research on the subject. I have a 1960 and 1961 GMC, both 1000 series. Both have factory drilled holes on the left door (A) pillar, apparently for a serial number (VIN) plate, but no plate was ever riveted there. Both factory paint. Instead, the serial number is stamped on the ratings plate on the left kick panel area. Both vehicles were inspected here in Colorado after being brought here from out of state and were titled from that serial number location. Yes I have heard that Texas is particularly strict on title issues.

I have also taken the time to look at the picture albums on this site and elsewhere, and have seen multiple 60 and 61's with the same thing: 2 holes on the door pillar with the same spacing and size, and no plate there. I assume those trucks also have their serial numbers on the data plate. I also have heard that GMC's from this era do not have frame stamped serial numbers.
I hope this helps.
Finally! Someone with some useful information.

Thank you for that.

Now, what I wonder is, since the holes are there, perhaps trucks manufactured in different plants have serial #'s in different locations? Perhaps trucks destined for different states had difference tagging requirements? The latter may not be real since it seems regulations were a lot lighter back then. Just ideas.

Mine was manufactured in Pontiac, Michigan , I wonder if that's the difference.

Thanks again, SnazzyP.

Last edited by AngryPirate; November 25th, 2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old November 25th, 2016, 06:16 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPirate View Post

Now, what I wonder is, since the holes are there, perhaps trucks manufactured in different plants have serial #'s in different locations? Perhaps trucks destined for different states had difference tagging requirements? The latter may not be real since it seems regulations were a lot lighter back then. Just ideas.

Mine was manufactured in Pontiac, Michigan , I wonder if that's the difference.
I'm not sure if this helps, but I've got a 1961 1500 series and the VIN plate is on the door frame.

On a side note, it's a bit rubbish that the Sheriff's office is being such a pain.

If I can register an imported GMC and get it registered in the nanny state that is QLD, then I can't see why you're having the issues that you're running into.
Old November 25th, 2016, 06:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I should also add, this is quite obviously a GMC cab. The dash looks nothing like the Chevrolet cabs, the engine matches my year(305A) as do many other components, so there is no doubt this is the correct tag for this vehicle.

Do the math:

1. it has a legitimate GMC serial # that matches my vehicle

2. The engine ID matches the year on the serial # tag

3. There are pictures of GMC ratings plates WITHOUT serial #'s on them

4. There are pictures of other GMC 1000 series trucks with the tags on the A pillar

5. This truck was pretty much untouched and not hacked on at all.

6. The paint matches on all the panels. If you dig down through the green top coat, you get down to the original yellow, on all panels. Chevy and GMC did not share the same color pallets

7. Since these trucks were made in several locations, the process may have been different for tagging

8. If said manual states the plates are in a certain location, does that mean that the manual is correct, but fails to mention or know that other locations or possibilities exist? It seems that the manual is not incorrect, but rather incomplete.

9. Since people have been posting that their GMCs have the factory holes for the plate, in the area that mine is in, but no plate and that since I'm missing my ratings plate, but the holes exist for it, and my a pillar plate has all of the ratings information on it, with the GMC moniker, it seems the logical conclusion is that not all plants followed the same tagging procedure.

It seems that my truck may be an anomaly or not encountered or posted about until now and on the information site for this very forum. But everything about my truck lines up, except for the location, which again, could be correct, since it's an original badge, with GMC written on it and has the correct information that lines up with my truck.
Old November 25th, 2016, 06:20 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
I'm not sure if this helps, but I've got a 1961 1500 series and the VIN plate is on the door frame.

On a side note, it's a bit rubbish that the Sheriff's office is being such a pain.

If I can register an imported GMC and get it registered in the nanny state that is QLD, then I can't see why you're having the issues that you're running into.
Thanks for the response.

Well, it's Texas and it's a smaller sheriff's office. My truck is at our shop property, out of town and it was just easier to haul the truck to this sheriff rather than negotiate the downtown streets of Austin with a 16 ft. trailer in tow ;-)

By chance, do you know what plant your truck came out of?

The 'P' in my serial is for Pontiac, MI.

I appreciate your addition to the discussion. Perhaps we'll figure out what the differences are and perhaps add it back to the original information site.
Old November 25th, 2016, 06:20 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Bad info redacted.

Last edited by AZKen; November 25th, 2016 at 07:29 AM. Reason: My bad
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:03 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FYI - for 1000 series trucks, 'N' was the designation for 60 and 61 model years only.
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:06 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Hopefully this helps?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:07 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

The full vin is 1502CN3796B

Old November 25th, 2016, 07:09 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Old November 25th, 2016, 07:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post

Very helpful. Thanks.

Well, I guess being manufactured in Pontiac, MI isn't the common denominator.

Being in Queensland, I'm guessing everything GM are Holdens?

Have some square bear for me ;-)
Closed Thread