6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old April 13th, 2013, 07:14 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC C1000
BossChevy62 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305D V6 rebuild parts ? buyable ? ? Custom made ? ? ?

Who is the guy who found Caterpillar Diesel valves that fit their GMC V6? I am in the process of rebuilding my 305 from top to bottom, inside and out, and my intake valves need to be replaced but I can't find them anywhere. I have tried EGGE and Kanter, Ebay, etc. with no luck. The other impossible to find item was the oversize pistons, I had to have them made by Arias Pistons, and they were $1100 for the set(forged 3-ring pistons), including new wrist pins, retainers, and piston rings. I had my cam custom ground to my specs by CompCams, and I found most of the engine parts like bearings, gaskets, timing chain set, oil pump, etc. at NAPA auto parts and Oreilly's. One of the biggest challenges was the main bearings, I found a guy in Louisiana who had a box of NOS bearings, because they don't exist anymore. I also picked up a set of hydraulic lifters for a chevy 235 inline 6, so I can have nice quiet smooth valves. The last piece of the puzzle to complete this engine is a set of intake valves, so if anyone has any, or can point me in the right direction, that would be great!
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM

Truck: 1966
phelan is on a distinguished road

Can't help you there, but I will say that CP Pistons could probably make a set as well if someone needs. I have bought some in the past (under the "Hurricane" name, sold by NRHS Performance) for a hot rod Harley I was building. Dan@NRHS told me a few years ago that they can make pretty much whatever you want IIRC.
Old May 11th, 2013, 03:41 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Many of us feel your pain!!!
It would be nice if there was a section in this forum, somehow divided by engine size, so that when we found a source, even if they will only custom make, or any parts that will interchange, of the different parts, we can post them there for other members to share the source and info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChevy62 View Post
Who is the guy who found Caterpillar Diesel valves that fit their GMC V6? I am in the process of rebuilding my 305 from top to bottom, inside and out, and my intake valves need to be replaced but I can't find them anywhere. I have tried EGGE and Kanter, Ebay, etc. with no luck. The other impossible to find item was the oversize pistons, I had to have them made by Arias Pistons, and they were $1100 for the set(forged 3-ring pistons), including new wrist pins, retainers, and piston rings. I had my cam custom ground to my specs by CompCams, and I found most of the engine parts like bearings, gaskets, timing chain set, oil pump, etc. at NAPA auto parts and Oreilly's. One of the biggest challenges was the main bearings, I found a guy in Louisiana who had a box of NOS bearings, because they don't exist anymore. I also picked up a set of hydraulic lifters for a chevy 235 inline 6, so I can have nice quiet smooth valves. The last piece of the puzzle to complete this engine is a set of intake valves, so if anyone has any, or can point me in the right direction, that would be great!

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old March 17th, 2018, 11:38 PM

Truck: 1964 1000 P/U 305E
OdieTN is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys - old thread, I know, but just wondering how you have come with locating parts. Did you find valves / did the Cat valves work?
Will pistons from 409 V8 work?

Thanks
Old March 17th, 2018, 11:58 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Pistons from a 409 will not work there is absolutely nothing that is compatible between the GMC V6 and Chivy 409! Just because there is only a slight resemblance to the shape of the valve covers doesn't mean one is based off the other It was posted a while back which Cat Diesel Valves to use but this is for the Magnum head engines and does not apply to the 305. You can still find stock valves on ebay.
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChevy62 View Post
The other impossible to find item was the oversize pistons, I had to have them made by Arias Pistons, and they were $1100 for the set(forged 3-ring pistons), including new wrist pins, retainers, and piston rings.

Old post...jumping back several years to ask if you still have info on this...
Dealing with JE Pistons for motorcycle custom pistons, as well as CP and WIseco.
If you have your invoice or boxes for the pistons or any info, others may perhaps be able to use your order # and name to have Arias dig up the drawings that they had your pistons machined from, and be able to reproduce a set for other GMC big block 305 V6 owners.
If you are still around here and have that info, re-posting would be very beneficial!

I had got on here today looking for info on engine mounts, as I have new bellhousing mounts but couldn't remember what to look for or where to buy V6 engine mounts or alternative parts. It would be nice if we had a sticky thread to aggregate a list of all known part numbers and alternative parts that will work. Like my starter motor - I got a starter for my truck off of a part number mentioned here a dozen years ago, and everything was the same except the mounting nose, which I was able to swap from my original onto the new reman old Chevy big block (Corvette? 348?409? 427?) starter motor parts.
One definitive list collecting all of this info in one place would be really helpful.
I realize a lot of parts such as crank main and rod big end bearings are just TOUGH to find, but for some parts, members have found more obscure sources for these parts, and perhaps we could start posting for info in one place to make searches simpler.

Thanks!

Chuck Lambert in Columbus, Ohio, USA
*'77-'79 Suzuki GS motorcycles, '76 Rickman CR900 roadracer.
*Dirtbikes: 2 Kawasaki KDX220R's, '77 Suzuki PE250, '83 PE175
Old June 28th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Truck: 1966 1000 Wideside 1962 1500 Wideside 401 Magnum
Quigley will become famous soon enoughQuigley will become famous soon enough

401 Pistons may be listed on E bay,but they don't have any or rings. They all come from Kanter. Main bearings also are pretty scarce. I don't know of any 305 pistons available right now either. Most of the other stuff you can find. Gaskets for the bigger V6s are hit and miss. Dave
Old June 29th, 2019, 01:25 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck78 View Post

One definitive list collecting all of this info in one place would be really helpful.
I realize a lot of parts such as crank main and rod big end bearings are just TOUGH to find, but for some parts, members have found more obscure sources for these parts, and perhaps we could start posting for info in one place to make searches simpler.

Thanks!

Chuck Lambert in Columbus, Ohio, USA
On one of Jolly pages there is part number with the manufacture name that has been helpful for me.
http://6066gmcguy.com/partnumbers.html
Old June 29th, 2019, 04:20 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Quigley;71251]401 Pistons may be listed on E bay,but they don't have any or rings. They all come from Kanter.
I do remember quite a few years back Packard Industries was starting to reproduce 401 pistons and there was a feature on Jolly's site. Packard Industries is basically an offshoot of Kanter's.
Old November 26th, 2019, 02:26 PM

Truck: 1970 toroflow
hooley is on a distinguished road

Hi there im looking for a lifter and push rod for a gmc toroflow D478 circa 1970s , at least thats what i think it is? Any of you fellows have one lying around or know of where i could attempt to get one. Its appears to be the hollow type, where the push rod lies deeper into it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you christian