6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old May 20th, 2014, 06:02 AM

Truck: 1962 K10, 1965 C10, 1972 K25
JPBrecheisen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

The knuckle bearings are 11520 and 11590. Any normal auto parts store will be able to order them.

What parts specifically are you looking for?

Can you post a pic or two of the parts you are lacking?

The bronze bushings that go inside the back of the spindle are still out there, you just have too look.

Try searching GM Part No. 2402596 if its a bushing you're needing. That will get you what you're needing.

What O-rings are you looking for specifically?

Jonathon
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:53 AM

Truck: 1960 fleetside
MrCos is on a distinguished road

Fetch, this has been a joy to read! Keep up the awesome work! Kudos to barry and the others here with the support! Best of luck on Cecilia!
Cos
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
BDI bearing is where I find most of my bearings and seals. Same with o rings. However I get the better viton o rings at a hydraulic supply and rebuilder shop. Here it is american hydraulic and chrome. The auto supply shops are more expensive and often staffed by dingbats. Also check the corn binder site for the bushing part # and knuckle bearing part #. They use the same dana front end except for wheel bolt pattern . I guess I am spoiled. I. Have 3 bearing supply shops within a half mile of each other. Two are on the same block. And one guy has most of the dana 4x4 stuff put to memory.
You are lucky! I'll try a few more places online so I can point to it and say "here is the part" for others, but if nothing pans out I'll get to schmoozing my local bearings stores. I would never have thought such a place existed. Who woulda thunk there was such a need for bearings that they make whole places dedicated to it?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I attached a pic of the O rings..well, where they go. They're two very tiny o-rings on the outside of the hub where the handle screws back on. I've got two rings on order from a place right now but they might be too thick. If you have a source or part number for them that'd be great!
Thanks for the other P/Ns too!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Quote:
Fetch, this has been a joy to read! Keep up the awesome work! Kudos to barry and the others here with the support! Best of luck on Cecilia!
Cos
Thanks Cos! Welcome to the board! (saw it was your first post)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cecilia orings.jpg (54.8 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:36 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

The helpers and I got 'earl back in Cecilia this Saturday after playing in the storm shelter/oil pit. First we worked on The Blonde's car (work first), then we got to Cecilia (play last). That orange canister in the corner is my new parts cleaner (2 gal. diesel).

The boy got oil all over himself taking the drain plug out of the car and said, "Look Mommy, I'm a MAN!"

The hub is stalled for parts so remember

where I drained the oil? Well she's still sittin thirsty so we decided to oil her back up now that the carquest filter came in.

So we grabbed the now-painted filter housing and put the filter in, and the little paper gaskety thing on the outside rim. It'll get pressed into the receiving end when it's tightened up so it's OK that it's floppy here in the pic.

I took that under the truck and stuck it in this hole. Be sure to get it just snug then move it around until you're sure its in the little lip or it'll overhang and oil will SPURT out from your truck....

Like it did on mine...

There's two quarts of my life I'll never get back!

Moving on, I grabbed the plug that included the grey RTV I had put around it earlier.

Mashed it in the hole

And tightened it up with a 1 1/8" socket.

Some excess grey RTV popped out so I just tore it off with my fingers. It didn't leak a drop later so this is A-OK.

Next I went and gathered all my parts for giving Cecilia her drink.

Some Rotella I had lying around

I had to hunt for my funnel. It was in the kids' sandbox.

I scrubbed it off really good.

And last but not least, an extra pair of hands

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

***pause***

I forgot to mention that when I change my oil I take some of the old oil and refill the oil-bath breather over the carburetor. If you're following along, don't forget that step!

***play***

With all the parts in place we took off the breather cap

Stuck the funnel in the hole...

and then Powder Puff poured oil all down my arm.

Because it takes 6 quarts and one jug is only 4, we emptied the first jug into Cecilia then filled it up to the 2 quart mark from the other jug.

You can see how full it is from this handy window.

We poured that in, then wiped Cecilia's chin. ****BURP!!***

Powder puff put the cap back on while I jumped in to start her up and circulate that new oil.

I had forgotten that I had the hub apart. Guess what I always do when I jump in any vehicle?

Pump the brakes.

Without any drum on them at the moment.

Brake fluid squirted everywhere.

I had a heck of a time getting the spring off the brake shoes off but by prying the spring off I was able to fix it. I reached in and poked the rubber innards back inside the brake cylinder. Then I slipped the piston back in, finally I put the rubber boot back on. Hopefully it'll still work. We'll find out when the hub is fixed.

No pics of all that because I was scrambling like an idiot to get it back together.

Sorry guys.

I did finally get in and start her up. Purring like a tiger! (pic taken with key in ACC position, so oil light is on - dont freak out!)

With that done I can focus entirely on the hub parts issues.

Old May 21st, 2014, 08:47 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Just a quick update!

The largest O ring is amazon ASIN number B0051Y2C8I
You can get it here:

Attached is a pic of the bag (of TEN!) showing mfg part numbers etc.

Code:
144 Viton O-Ring, 90A Durometer, Round, 
Black, 2-1/2" ID, 2-11/16" OD, 3/32" Width (Pack of 10)
The smaller one I'm still working on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working O ring oring for Cecilias hub largest one.JPG (1.70 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; May 21st, 2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:24 AM

Fetch,

What kind of locking hubs do you have?

There should be brand name and model number on them somewhere.

There is a lot of NOS (New Old Stock) items available out there. I'd be almost willing to bet you could find a rebuild kit for those (should include O-rings) somewhere.

I have WARN M-8 style hubs. I was able to find what I needed from left over rebuild kits that were out there.

Your hubs look different, but I think they may still make that kind if its the type I think it is.

That would be my advice. Send me the info, I'll poke around a little for you also.

Jonathon
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:10 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Fetch,

What kind of locking hubs do you have?

There should be brand name and model number on them somewhere.

There is a lot of NOS (New Old Stock) items available out there. I'd be almost willing to bet you could find a rebuild kit for those (should include O-rings) somewhere.

I have WARN M-8 style hubs. I was able to find what I needed from left over rebuild kits that were out there.

Your hubs look different, but I think they may still make that kind if its the type I think it is.

That would be my advice. Send me the info, I'll poke around a little for you also.

Jonathon

Thanks! My hubs are Power Train Tools. They're rebranded Selectros.

I found that last ring too.

This is the smaller one that goes on the OUTER side of the hub. It's this one:

Part number 033-7290

Description:
Code:
033 Viton O-Ring, 90A Durometer, Round, Black, 2" ID, 2-1/8" OD,
1/16" Width (Pack of 10)

I also found a similar looking brass bushing from off of a 60's Willys Jeep but it was about 1/8" too small in diameter. If someone has a Willys I have a free bushing

I'm still looking for a reliable replacement for those.

Old May 24th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

I don't have a closed knuckle 44 apart. Just measure the ID and Od of the bushing. I bet I could buy 10 on Tuesday.. Is the inner 1/8 to small on the jeep part. If so I will measure up some jeep stuff. And give you the bushing specs you need. Same if it's the Od. Barry
Old May 26th, 2014, 06:20 AM

The bushing for a Willys Jeep will be too small.

Those are model 25/27 and the spindle bushings are too small.

Look for GM part No. 2402596.

You may have to look out for some NOS items. Ebay is a good place to start.

Jonathon