6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old December 10th, 2014, 01:22 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Changed tires on split rims today

While I am waiting for parts to arrive I thought I would tackle putting the new tires on the stocks rims today. These rims have a split ring that locks the outer bead ring in position. In order to remove the ring one has to move the outer bead down to expose the ring and remove it. I at least have an old manual tire changer so I didn't have too much difficulty breaking the beads loose. The problem that comes up is that the outer bead has to be driven down and held there while the locking ring is removed. I have a long rectangular plate that was long enough to span the entire tire, I punched a 2 1/8" hole in the center. I placed a couple blocks of wood on the bead ring used the screw hub of the tire changer to drive the plate down. It worked to hold the bead rings down so I could get to the locking ring.
I wired brushed every surface, making sure there wasn't any crud in the grooves or on any surface that had to slip into position. Put my shiny new tubes from Les Schwab in there (about $70.00 for 2) plus the flap to protect the tube, Lubed everything up with the correct tire lubricant from Napa and pushed the locking ring into position. I used the plate I had modified as a cage and inflated the tires up while on the tire changer, very carefully, stopping and banging the ring with a lead hammer. Deflated the tires, and then inflated them up.
I balanced the tires on a bubble balancer, so I am good to go.

Last edited by jagarra; December 10th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old December 10th, 2014, 03:46 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Changed tires on split rims today

Sounds like you went about it the right way. I'm not a tire changing expert, but probably like many of us, did spend a few summers working in "Service Stations" back in the early 60's..One of my jobs when working, was to do tire dismounting, repair and remounting them or perhaps mounting a brand new set. I don't remember ever working with split rims and was hoping you might post some pictures of the procedure you just went through with your stuff. Tks. Foley
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:25 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Foley,

It is still set up so I will take some pictures. I too worked in a service station in the 60s, all through high school.

I used to repair tires back then and I worked on split rims doing repairs on them. The rule was always put the wheel under the rack when you inflated it, banging on the outside rim when doing so. These rims are basically safer than the style with the split on the very outside of the bead. Since this locking devise is lower in the rim and the outer bead ring moves over a portion of it the part that could fly off is partially covered.

gg

Last edited by jagarra; December 10th, 2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:16 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Here are some pictures of the set up. There are threaded inserts in the garage floor so I can bring in different items and bolt them to the floor. That N on the base tells me which way to place it so the holes line up.

In picture 4, you see the inflation set up, never can be too careful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TireChangerSetUp.JPG (121.5 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg CloseofSetUp.JPG (127.5 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg EdgeOfLockingRing.JPG (120.4 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg InflationSetUp.JPG (122.6 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg WheelBalancer.JPG (103.0 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:32 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

I've seen many of these changed, in the yard and along side the road. Forklifts and other equipment tend to have these kind of rims, bigger trucks as well.
The company I worked for had a contract with the tire service, they would come out to the yard, take the tire off the vehicle, deflate it, use a BIG hammer to break the bead, use two bars (which I have found can still be bought) to open the locking ring and remove it. Then reverse the procedure to put it back together. Yes, they had a locking air chuck (most of the time) but never a cage or any other "safety" device. Never had a problem with any of them.
The only problem we ever had with a "split rim" was one of the forklifts had 2 half rings for the lock ring. When the tire went flat, if you had to move the forklift the locks would fall out and the tire would end up coming off.
Used to hear the old timers talk about splits... they seemed divided on the subject. Some would say the cage and safety stuff made it harder to do, as long as the parts were clean and seated right there wasn't a problem. Others always had some horror story about someone they knew who saw someone get injured (never seemed to be first hand though).
I'd have to check, but the last time I knew the "Les Schwab Tire Centers" would still do split rims. They do big trucks (log trucks mostly) and heavy equipment so I expect they see a lot of the split/locking rims.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500

Last edited by David R Leifheit; December 10th, 2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: changed 1/2 t half... sentence makes more sense that way
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:39 AM

Truck: 1961 Series 4000
Aaron is on a distinguished road

The wheel shown there with the lock ring and the safety is commonely known as a 3 piece wheel, the other type of wheel with just one lock ring on it is a 2 piece wheel, and then the dreded widow maker,which I don't believe came on pickups but on ton and a half and up were the type that came apart in the center of the wheel,one half locked over the other half,these are the ones that tire shops won't work on,some shops will still work on the 2 and 3 piece wheels.