6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old November 5th, 2016, 02:29 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: Toolbox Starter Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post
Dwell meter, beer. and maybe some more beer.
Beer, best suggestion yet lol.
I got lucky and scored an engine analyser pretty cheap. I've yet to fully get my head around how to use it. But, it supposedly has settings for dwell measurement....

That brings to mind a very important question though. For the beer drinkers out there, what's your drink of choice?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:27 AM

Truck: 1963 K-1000 Sub, 1963 C-1000 Sub, 1965 C-1000 Sub
jimjaz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toolbox Starter Kit

Love the video on adjusting valve lash! That guy is a hoot, and he has it spot on.
- Don't forget the floor jack to get your truck up onto those stands!
- GUNK Liquid Wrench L-104 is another product for helping with rusty bolts. I've been using the same 4oz bottle for 15 years or so, and it still has maybe an ounce in it. Under 3 bucks at Zoro, and lots of other places sell it also, but I have only seen it in compressed spray form. I like the liquid- Great stuff!
Although I am a proponent of Steele Rubber Products for all of the rubber products you can order for the 60-66 GMC (and Chevy) trucks, I am not too fond of the door weatherstripping- it is very tough stuff and your doors WILL NOT close because there is so much resistance to the gap between the door shell and body channel. I took to another outfit, SoffSeal.com and found that their door weatherstripping is much softer, but does provide for a good seal, and your doors will have no problem with this product.
https://www.zoro.com/liquid-wrench-p...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Saw the pic of the Flame On Nova at the car show. Wonder what kind of fuel line that guy had in his engine bay- I posted on this before. Don't get the rubber hose with the fancy stainless steel braiding unless the guy who is selling it to you can prove that the rubber hose underneath that pretty stainless is actually made for gasoline (with today's additives). I had one spring a leak in my 55 Chevy car (think Earl's fittings and hoses) and was REALLY GLAD that it happened just backing it out of the garage. HUGE leak, EVERYTHING soaked with gas. Good thing the engine was not hot. Guess what?- I went and bought a fire extinguisher for a few bucks right after this experience, and replaced the fancy braided worthless non-gas resistant hose with some hard line I found at NAPA- it has copper in it, and is very malleable. It is also nice looking hard line as well, without being "over-the-top." Of course getting rubber fuel line is great, as long as it says so on the hose. Just my nickel's worth.

63 GMC K1000 Sub restored original
63 GMC C1000 Sub original
65 GMC C1000 Sub OEM modified
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom SWB original