6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old October 31st, 2022, 02:49 AM

Truck: 1960 gmc carryall
TxnGreg is on a distinguished road
Default Research help

I recently came into possession of a 1960 gmc carryall and I'm planning to restomod.
My plan of action is:
1. Body and wood bed
2. Suspension
3. Engine and trans
4. Electrical
5. Interior
6. Paint

I've been told the 60 frame requires more modifications because of the torsion bar front end and the rear end is wider dimensionally compared to a 62-66.
Can anyone direct me to a good resource for getting dimensional drawings on the 62-66 frames?
Also in the opinion of the group would it be better to purchase a later frame (62-66 or later) rather than do modifications to the existing frame?
Dimensionally would a long wheelbase pickup frame bolt in directly or is the carryall based on a shortbed?

I have found manufacturers who make suspension kits for the later models 62-66 but nothing yet for a 60. Does the group know of a resource I could purchase parts.

For clarity this is my first restoration and if I've asked silly questions it is because I lack experience but the goal is to get this vehicle back on the road and out of the junkyard so please forgive my ignorance.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old October 31st, 2022, 08:15 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Research help

A carryall is referred to by many as the GMC version of a Suburban. Is that what you have? I ask because you said "bed" not rear floor. This club is kind of a "keep it mostly original" place. If you want hot rod/restomod/modification/swap/hiPo info...go to a site like the Stovebolt. They have sections for all that and specific 60-66 and panel/suburbans. Chevy is basically the same.
You are contemplating a whole lot of work, expense and risk of building a nightmare depending on your skills. BUT, I've done similar to 55-59 suburbans and panels. So not against it. But being a more rare GMC, the first year of new design, two year only hood and not use the BBV6, others will think ill of the idea and I have to back them.

You can PM me if you wish. There is no such thing as a silly question re: restoration/refurbish/preserve/modify/upgrade/fix/parts/advice/opinion

Swapping the entire 60 chassis for a later A arm/coil spring style will have many more aftermarket suspension/brake upgrade opportunities. Torsion bar is a good front suspension but little or no mods/upgrade available.

Last edited by AZKen; October 31st, 2022 at 08:47 PM. Reason: adding thoughts
Old November 1st, 2022, 05:59 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Research help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
This club is kind of a "keep it mostly original" place.
You are contemplating a whole lot of work, expense and risk of building a nightmare depending on your skills.

Swapping the entire 60 chassis for a later A arm/coil spring style will have many more aftermarket suspension/brake upgrade opportunities. Torsion bar is a good front suspension but little or no mods/upgrade available.
I concur with Ken's assessment. If I were you, I'd just concentrate on what you've already got. You don't say if the V6 is still in it, or, if it is, what kind of condition it's in. Most of us here on the forum are all about keeping our V6s and keeping them running. If your V6 is already gone, you may be able to find a replacement -- they are still out there.

Let us know more about what you've got, and post some photos too.

Good luck with your project!
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435