6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old December 20th, 2022, 12:21 AM

Truck: 1966 1500 fleet side long bed
MeganK is on a distinguished road
Default What Am I Looking at??

As stated in my previous posts I have only been a classic truck owner for about 2 weeks....

I lucked into having the rare sports option package but there are 2 "odd" things on my truck that I am curious about. So I defer to your Expertise.

My theory is that this truck, at one point had some kind of camper top option. In the attached picture you can see that there is some kind of "plug" behind the driver's door. When you flip it up it looks to be like some kind of 3 prong plug... almost like a microphone plug...

Also it has the cut out circle on the bed. My understanding is that there might have been a 2 fuel tank option?? But this hole is on both the driver and passenger sides.

Any insight would be appreciated.. What are they for? Are they aftermarket?
is there any special electrical that might be in the truck based on these clues....Should this send the restoration in a different direction? LOL..

Thanks everyone

MeganK

PXL_20221203_181900062.jpg
Old December 20th, 2022, 01:24 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What Am I Looking at??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganK View Post
As stated in my previous posts I have only been a classic truck owner for about 2 weeks....

I lucked into having the rare sports option package but there are 2 "odd" things on my truck that I am curious about. So I defer to your Expertise.

My theory is that this truck, at one point had some kind of camper top option. In the attached picture you can see that there is some kind of "plug" behind the driver's door. When you flip it up it looks to be like some kind of 3 prong plug... almost like a microphone plug...

Also it has the cut out circle on the bed. My understanding is that there might have been a 2 fuel tank option?? But this hole is on both the driver and passenger sides.

Any insight would be appreciated.. What are they for? Are they aftermarket?
is there any special electrical that might be in the truck based on these clues....Should this send the restoration in a different direction? LOL..

Thanks everyone

MeganK

Attachment 10036
My '67 has the same type of plug in the same location. My guess is that it's for an electrical power connection to a long-gone camper of some type. The holes in your bedsides were probably for after-market auxiliary fuel tanks. Lots of owners added them during the gas shortage crisis of the early '70s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5442.JPG (2.22 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old December 20th, 2022, 04:08 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: What Am I Looking at??

I agree with ED. None of those owner add-on's are "options". They are not necessarily favorable or valuable. Most of us would weld up the holes.
You don't say what is on the other side of the cab connector. Could be wires going to engine bay. Look for evidence of two 12V batteries.
If it was a communication link...it's a guy wanting to talk to his wife while she was resting in the camper while he was driving....or
vice versa. 12V wires for camper power will look different than com wires.

The tanks could have been for a rancher, farmer or maintenance truck full of diesel or ? If tanks were for the truck, look for a valve under/next to seat and some abandon fuel lines inside frame rails.

A camper AND bed tanks would be a little "different". Maybe tanks were under bed?

Does seem to have camper rubber rub/witness marks.

Last edited by AZKen; December 20th, 2022 at 04:24 AM.