6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old February 18th, 2019, 05:43 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What did you do for your GMC today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
Since you have the sending unit out, hook it up to the wires going to gauge and see how it reacts as you move it through it's range. You mentioned you ordered a new sending unit, does the ohms reading between the sending units match?
I can't tell. i sent the old one to the trash heap when the new one came in.
It's so freaking cold outside today I didn't do anything with her, but try the key. I guess with her being down so much I need to put a tender on the battery. She was drt. (dead right there).

So I ordered a new Pulsetech Extreme Charger that will sit in a box out by Cecilia and get plugged in every time I park her...when I remember to do it.

According to a ton of videos and reviews online it's the best desulfater (battery repair-er) made so we'll see. I'm sure as much as she sits she's got plenty of sulphation going on.

Once it warms up a bit more I'll pull the sender out and run it up and down to see where it shows up on the gauge. i guess there's also the possibility that my gauge is off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 24th, 2019, 02:07 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Striped down, cleaned up and mounted the new wheel cylinders to the front. In preparation for the upgrade on the '63 hubs I received from another member. I'm changing the hoses, wheel cylinders, brake shoes and springs, hubs and drums. It was a good Saturday.

Last edited by jbgroby; February 24th, 2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:14 PM

Truck: 1970 GMC RM-7500 based Motorhome
WE7X is on a distinguished road

I have not had one out of a P/U for many years, ( Mine are HD industrial aftermarket tanks on the RM7500 chassis, but as I recall there are two small tabs that the float arm bump up against at the upper and lower limits of the travel.
With the sender out of the tank, it should be possible to move the arm through the range of travel, to be sure you are getting the full resistance of the expected range ( 0 to 30 ohms; or 15 to 90 ohms) as specified for the correct sender.
If you are getting the correct range of ohms readings then the gauge may be the problem, but usually it is the sender that causes trouble.
Tank senders that have sat unused for a long time, can sometimes develop an open circuit. I saw one case many years ago, where a sender was 'dead' between about 1/4 and 1/2 tank. The gauge would work normally down to about a half tank, then suddenly go to 'E' for a while, then return to reading correctly for the last 1/4 tank.
It was a bit disconcerting when you suddenly saw it registering empty; and had to mentally stop and think if it was a true reading or just the dead spot.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA.
1970 RM-7500
Old March 8th, 2019, 03:16 AM

Truck: 1963 GMC 3/4t, 4x4
Robert B. is on a distinguished road

Drove mine today around town here. Moved my wife’s urology clinic from one bldg to another down on the S. side of the city. Love driving the old ‘63. W/ a 511 front and rear end im not going anywhere too quickly. I agree w/ our previous commentator regarding cigars. Might I recommend a 57 gauge Alec Bradley Vice Press - they’re meaningful and they perfectly compliment our early ‘60’s GMC’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 18th, 2019, 01:39 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

Went to pick up funiture and what-knots for the wife from her moms house, nice 75 mile round trip streach of the wheels.......Brakes stop much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5174.JPG (951.0 KB, Multiple views, 20 clicks)
Old April 11th, 2019, 04:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

started my 66 sunday, choked it and she popped right off, had to spread some gravel in front of garage, did some work to the driveway last fall. i think i'll taker her for a drive this weekend, if weather is good.
Old April 11th, 2019, 09:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I put my tailgate back on for the first time in probably 6 years

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 17th, 2019, 02:53 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

After driving the 63 over 90 miles one way to the Coker Tire show in Chattanooga TN a week or two back where she purred like a kitten all the way up and back, I have decided my next piddling projects will be to install replacement inside sunvisors and an NOS choke cable I found on ebay which will complete the set of NOS dash knobs - headlight, wiper and cigar knobs were already NOS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8334 - Copy.jpg (87.8 KB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old April 18th, 2019, 12:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I drove all the way down to the middle of Garville today to drop my clutch off at a rebuild shop. I'm so happy I kept it. My thinking is that the 11" clutch from a Big truck I installed may be the reason I can't get in 2nd gear now. If that's not it, at least I have a OEM clutch to put back in!

Old April 19th, 2019, 01:47 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE7X View Post
Tank senders that have sat unused for a long time, can sometimes develop an open circuit. I saw one case many years ago, where a sender was 'dead' between about 1/4 and 1/2 tank. The gauge would work normally down to about a half tank, then suddenly go to 'E' for a while, then return to reading correctly for the last 1/4 tank.
It was a bit disconcerting when you suddenly saw it registering empty; and had to mentally stop and think if it was a true reading or just the dead spot.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA.
1970 RM-7500
I had something similar on an F-150 with dual tanks. Except it went from a quarter tank to empty. I always used that tank first, ran till the engine sputtered and switched to the full tank. Never did try to fix it. Did the same think on my diesel pickup too a couple times, would slow from 65-70 to 40-45 before it would get fuel again. But it was so consistent on mpg I could predict the number of miles to put on each tank and have maybe a gallon or less fuel in the tank. Truck had a 20 gallon and 24 gallon tank, book said they were 16 and 19. Had 800 mile range from both tanks, 24x18.5= 814 miles. Ran truck 10,000 miles one summer and averaged just over 20 mpg.