6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old July 13th, 2021, 12:15 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default A 1962 GMC 1000 Series Utility with Extra Goodies

Hello Everyone, Posting up a new project I acquired. It is a 1962 GMC 1000 series with the Utility cabinets in place of the GMC Fenderside fenders.
It has the 305D V6 and the SM420 with the Dana 44 (ratio TBD-3:92?) and suspension is Torsion up front and coils in the rear. It came with 16” 3-clip wheels and it even has Dual Horns. Its unladen weight is listed as 3400lbs.
Truck was built at the Pontiac Plant and title transfer documentation shows it came from Minneapolis and ended up in Arizona in 1968 and there it remained until it came to me.
I had not seen many SWB utility trucks. Most commonly found are of the C20 variety and those have the beds removed and replaced with utility boxes. I don’t know if I’d call it rare, but definitely unique and different.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Raspberry Sherbet-
So this truck apparently has three colors; my guesses are Flame Red under Omaha Orange under a Crystal Green (I got those names from a GMC Paint page)
Maybe it started life as a Fire Utility and came to Arizona where it morphed into a Telephone company truck. The last owner worked for the Local telephone company called CONTEL and I was told that he bought the truck when he retired from there. Company sticker shadow on tailgate says Grand Junction and?

The truck was later used for camping and that’s where the camper top came into play along with the Crystal Green Paint. It had a CB unit rack mount inside, but looks like the window was busted out to steal it. I really like the camper top on it, as I feel it gives an eclectic look.

Mounted on the back of the cab are one of those long transmitting antennae and some Heath Kit speaker/monitors inside the cab and one in the bed. Bedwood is in pretty good shape and it also came with non-commercial plates.

In the engine bay was an old school 60’s MilesMaster Fuel regulator and a Heath CDI Ignition and an old Warner Electric Brake under the steering column.

Mileage shown was 02201 which I took to be 102,201 as the truck was fairly clean but lots of Arizona dust everywhere. Interior was okay and needed a good cleaning. Floor mat was the original but old and had to be thrown out.

Some Goodies found!
So here are some photos of what was in the cab, bed and utility Boxes.
They include; some mirrors and tire lug wrenches, snow chains, antennae, Olivetti calculator, Test Lead rack, CB mount rack, spare inner tube and an art deco style Clamshell ashtray and one Blue Chip Stamp

What’s in the Box?
The truck also came with two huge cabinets in the bed. All I was told was that, it might be telephone equipment. Here is what I got:

I found a couple of …ahem, Men’s Magazines inside one of them that dated 1978.
One cabinet was full of electronics and the other looked like some kind of Nuclear James Bond type device with four gold canisters that Goldfinger created LOL
My research came up empty so I reached out the Telephonic Connections Museum in Seattle and they had an answer for me thankfully. Here is info on that Museum in Seattle.
The museum features working Panel and Crossbar electromechanical central-office switches. The Connections Museum also has working Step-by-Step and Crossbar PBX equipment as well as antique telephones,*switchboards,*outside plant displays, including poles, cables, splicing equipment, tools, and other related*communications equipment*and machines. The Connections Museum also features a cataloged telecommunications reference library, useful for researchers.
Connections Museum Seattle | HYPERLINK "https://

HYPERLINK "https://

Telecommunications History Group, HYPERLINK "https://

Here is a clue photo:

My plans are to get it back to running status and keep it pretty much the way it is.
I am still on the hunt for those elusive hubcaps
Thanks for reading, Henry
Old July 13th, 2021, 02:08 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A 1962 GMC 1000 Series Utility with Extra Goodies

Quote:
Hello Everyone, Posting up a new project I acquired. It is a 1962 GMC 1000 series with the Utility cabinets in place of the GMC Fenderside fenders.

My plans are to get it back to running status and keep it pretty much the way it is.
Awesome story and photos, HenryJ! I like the patina pattern in the paint. Now you're going to have to add 1962 Utility to your ID in the upper right corner. Keep us posted on your progress with your new find.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old July 13th, 2021, 03:55 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Thank you Ed; yes it does have that weathered look of experience.

I’ll have to make that add to my ID you suggested

Old July 18th, 2021, 05:00 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I got the engine started earlier today using the CDI unit still attached. It just fired right up and that Stromberg idles pretty smooth.

Maybe tomorrow I will push that Red button on the CDI Unit and see if it will work in the conventional points mode.

Old July 26th, 2021, 07:08 PM

Truck: 62 custom 1000, 63 K1000
63gmc4x4 is on a distinguished road

nice truck! i own a 62 swb utility bed as well
Old July 26th, 2021, 07:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Thank you 63GMC4x4!

Would you mind sharing a few of yours? Where was it built?

Oh I remember now; it’s the green one with plaid valve covers!
Old August 3rd, 2021, 04:02 AM
Banned

Truck: 1960 gmc truck
ZDADDY is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It has the 305D V6 and the SM420 with the Dana 44 (ratio TBD-3:92?) and suspension is Torsion up front and coils in the rear. It came with 16” 3-clip wheels and it even has Dual Horns. Its unladen weight is listed as 3400lbs.

Truck was built at the Pontiac Plant and title transfer documentation shows it came from Minneapolis and ended up in Arizona in 1968 and there it remained until it came to me.

I had not seen many SWB utility trucks. Most commonly found are of the C20 variety and those have the beds removed and replaced with utility boxes. I don’t know if I’d call it rare, but definitely unique and different.

Raspberry Sherbet-

So this truck apparently has three colors; my guesses are Flame Red under Omaha Orange under a Crystal Green (I got those names from a GMC Paint page)

Maybe it started life as a Fire Utility and came to Arizona where it morphed into a Telephone company truck. The last owner worked for the Local telephone company called CONTEL and I was told that he bought the truck when he retired from there. Company sticker shadow on tailgate says Grand Junction and?

The truck was later used for camping and that’s where the camper top came into play along with the Crystal Green Paint. It had a CB unit rack mount inside, but looks like the window was busted out to steal it. I really like the camper top on it, as I feel it gives an eclectic look.

Mounted on the back of the cab are one of those long transmitting antennae and some Heath Kit speaker/monitors inside the cab and one in the bed. Bedwood is in pretty good shape and it also came with non-commercial plates.

In the engine bay was an old school 60’s MilesMaster Fuel regulator and a Heath CDI Ignition and an old Warner Electric Brake under the steering column.

Mileage shown was 02201 which I took to be 102,201 as the truck was fairly clean but lots of Arizona dust everywhere. Interior was okay and needed a good cleaning. Floor mat was the original but old and had to be thrown out.

Some Goodies found!

So here are some photos of what was in the cab, bed and utility Boxes.

They include; some mirrors and tire lug wrenches, snow chains, antennae, Olivetti calculator, Test Lead rack, CB mount rack, spare inner tube and an art deco style Clamshell ashtray and one Blue Chip Stamp

What’s in the Box?

The truck also came with two huge cabinets in the bed. All I was told was that, it might be telephone equipment. Here is what I got:

I found a couple of …ahem, Men’s Magazines inside one of them that dated 1978.

One cabinet was full of electronics and the other looked like some kind of Nuclear James Bond type device with four gold canisters that Goldfinger created LOL

My research came up empty so I reached out the Telephonic Connections Museum in Seattle and they had an answer for me thankfully. Here is info on that Museum in Seattle.

The museum features working Panel and Crossbar electromechanical central-office switches. The Connections Museum also has working Step-by-Step and Crossbar PBX equipment as well as antique telephones,*switchboards,*outside plant displays, including poles, cables, splicing equipment, tools, and other related*communications equipment*and machines. The Connections Museum also features a cataloged telecommunications reference library, useful for researchers.

Connections Museum Seattle | HYPERLINK "https://

Telecommunications History Group, HYPERLINK "https://

Here is a clue photo:

Funny.......I found a dirty mag from the 80's in my 60 gmc as well:-)

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
Old August 9th, 2021, 09:29 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I am still just fleshing out the condition of the engine. I did a flush of the coolant and used a product called Blue Devil radiator Flush. I don’t think I needed it, because everything that came out after 4 flush cycles seemed pretty clean. I did put a new water pump in as well, so maybe that was the issue that was the culprit.

* Correction, I did need it because I got dirty blackish sooty water coming out

The engine will start with the CDI Button pushed IN, or button OUT for Conventional meaning points.

I temporarily added a mechanical water temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge. It was about 90 degrees out and I let the truck idle for about 30 minutes and these were the numbers I received. Those were with just water in the radiator.

I also changed out the canister oil filter to the Spin On factory unit.

Overall I am pretty happy with the numbers I received. Oil Pressure started out at 50lbs with the choke on and dropped to just under 40lbs with choke off after two minutes; then to just under 30lbs after 30 minutes of idle and water temperature showing a steady 175 degrees thereabouts.

They truck is "drivable"; That is, I moved it a few feet using 1st gear and 2nd (SM420), E- Brake works and pedal holds, but not ready to road test yet. I need to work on the brakes shoes, cylinders and hoses and then some tires.

Also I have been polishing up that aluminum topper little by little and it is shining up pretty well after so many years. I used Mags Aluminum Polish

Last edited by Funky61; August 9th, 2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old August 16th, 2021, 01:30 AM

Truck: 1964 I1000
Jethro is on a distinguished road

Unique, eclectic, and kewl.