6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old October 8th, 2020, 08:09 AM

Truck: GMC 1500 1965
GMCTom will become famous soon enoughGMCTom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

The big part of the engine is back in the truck

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Mounting the timing chain cover and a new timing chain

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Putting the cleaned oil pan back on the engine

Engine is ready for transport

And back in the frame. Exactly one year after pulling it out

Used some new motor mounts from Rockauto. They fit perfect.

The heads get

The cylinder heads are currently being redesigned. We have reground the valves and the valve seats are milled. An exhaust valve was burned. I bought also a new one from Rockauto but the slot on the end of the valve was on the wrong position. We also ground a new slot in.

The last days I cleaned up the flywheel. After reading some threads in the forum it seems to be a desaster with the clutch

Luckily I have the same flywheel as Pepsi in his truck.

I've ordered the AMS 04528 clutch on Rockauto. Tomorrow I will receive it. After reading in my book there are four different type of clutches. I think I have the Borg Style. But I'm not sure because the spring is diaphragm style.
I really hope it will fit.

Last edited by GMCTom; October 8th, 2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old October 8th, 2020, 07:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Great Progress GMCTOM! Thanks for posting the photos. What brand/Model of engine stand are you using?
Old October 8th, 2020, 08:09 PM

Thank you Funky
I bought the engine stand in a german webshop:

Its also available from KS Tools but it costs more than twice.

Last edited by GMCTom; October 8th, 2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old January 13th, 2021, 09:18 AM

A Healthy Happy New Year to everybody!

Little update. Unfortunately, there is not much going on at the moment. It's very cold here

Mounted the transmission on the bellhousing and the new driveshaft. The old one was no longer usable. Cylinder heads and other parts are also back on the block. Here are some pictures.

I also added a fuel pressure gauge. I'm not happy with the airfilter. I think I will change it with a black one. This was the first thing I bought when I bought the truck

At the moment I'm trying with the new exhaust pipes. I will add a steel exhaust with 2 1/4" diameter and Flowmonster mufflers. They are the same like the Flowmaster 40.

I can't wait to start the engine

I ordered a new waterneck (75 Pontiac TransAm) because the old one was a modified from a Chevy small block. Let's see if it fits.
Old January 13th, 2021, 09:35 AM

I forgot the information about the clutch.

Unfortunately the Rhino clutch did not fit

I did it like MilitaryChevy (thank you) and milled something away from the hub.

Old January 13th, 2021, 02:08 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Is that the three finger rhino pak clutch or a different one? What did you mill down?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 13th, 2021, 03:39 PM

Yes Pepsi, this is the three finger clutch. I think you used the same?

I milled down the hub on the flywheel side (red mark on the photo). I think I milled down 8mm. The hub sticks out on the wrong side so it would rub against the flywheel. The original clutch is flat on the flywheel side.

Here the flat side of the original clutch

Old January 13th, 2021, 04:21 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, I used the same one. I don't notice any rubbing though. It all bolted up just fine. Now I'm wondering if i'm rubbing my flywheel in there....

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 13th, 2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, I used the same one. I don't notice any rubbing though. It all bolted up just fine. Now I'm wondering if i'm rubbing my flywheel in there....
Hmm... I think you would hear that. I suspect that the hubs are never assembled in the same order/direction during the production of the clutch. Possibly yours was pressed in the other way around. TJ had the same problems with his Rhino.
Old March 1st, 2021, 10:43 AM

Hey guys. The day of the day was at the weekend

We started the engine. I was a little nervous but it runs great. The sound is awesome. I installed FlowMonster Mufflers (the same as the FlowMaster 40).

Unfortunately, I only have poor video quality. I will post another video from the next run.

Last edited by GMCTom; March 1st, 2021 at 07:54 PM.