6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter
 



Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > I-6 Engines


I-6 Engines For GMCs that came with the Inline 6 Engines

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old February 6th, 2018, 02:18 PM
buickbill buickbill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: yreka,ca
Truck: 1964 c10
Age: 63
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
buickbill is on a distinguished road
Default 1964 inline 6 engine color

I'm going to be replacing the mtr in my 64 1000 fender side , and would like to use the correct paint colour . was orig. a 230 ci , but now has a 292 . will be replacing with another 292 . pretty sure the 292 was an option on a 64 ??? also rebuilt the stock 3 spd. , but no syncro. in low . what is the best way to upgrade , and keep my column shift . anyone ever see , use , hear of a overdrive ???? thnx buick/ gmc bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3972.JPG (4.21 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSCF3976.JPG (4.08 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSCF4193.JPG (4.15 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 7th, 2018, 01:02 AM
buickbill buickbill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: yreka,ca
Truck: 1964 c10
Age: 63
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
buickbill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 inline 6 engine color

I know I'm new , but don't treat me like a redheaded step child . I have red headed step kids . have some green paint . almost matches the paint that was on the 292 ,. almost looks like mopar green . 292 high torqe green????? I have other gmc s please reply !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3653.JPG (4.34 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSCF3654.JPG (4.15 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 7th, 2018, 03:45 AM
bigblockv6 bigblockv6 is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rohnert Park, ca.
Truck: 1968 KM2500
Posts: 1,325
Rep Power: 403
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1964 inline 6 engine color

Another alternative would be Alpine Green which was used on Detroit Diesels and later DH ToroFlow engines. From what I've seen U.S. built GMC's with the inline sixes from 64-66 unlike Chevrolet were Moly Orange rather than that green color.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 7th, 2018, 04:01 AM
bigblockv6 bigblockv6 is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rohnert Park, ca.
Truck: 1968 KM2500
Posts: 1,325
Rep Power: 403
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1964 inline 6 engine color

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickbill View Post
I'm going to be replacing the mtr in my 64 1000 fender side , and would like to use the correct paint colour . was orig. a 230 ci , but now has a 292 . will be replacing with another 292 . pretty sure the 292 was an option on a 64 ??? also rebuilt the stock 3 spd. , but no syncro. in low . what is the best way to upgrade , and keep my column shift . anyone ever see , use , hear of a overdrive ???? thnx buick/ gmc bill
64 was the first year the Chevrolet inline six was introduced on U.S. built GMC trucks and it was step down option called the I series with just the 230 six being available on pickup model trucks. In 66 they introduced the 250 to replace it, brochures only listed the 250 for the I series but I've seen a 66 1000 pickup with a factory installed 292 and the VIN plate confirmed it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 7th, 2018, 01:15 PM
buickbill buickbill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: yreka,ca
Truck: 1964 c10
Age: 63
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
buickbill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 inline 6 engine color

thnx for the info., I guess ill go with the green. Detroit green has a better ring than mopar . so I can live with it . I think I read in a old post that was possibly the orig. colour for 292 . my p/u was for sure the bottom of the herd . I don't believe it had one option . a heater , but I imagine that was standard by 64 didn't realize at the time , I was posting a pic of my model .not my 55 . very small pic in album . very easy build though ,paint was about .25 cents .this is the real thing . and my 71 . it came out with a 250 . not a v-6 in the herd , yet!!! thnx again bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3726.JPG (3.93 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSCF3727.JPG (4.04 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSCF3744.JPG (3.27 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSCF3749.JPG (4.37 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 29th, 2023, 07:28 PM
GMCNUT's Avatar
GMCNUT GMCNUT is offline
-= Site Supporter =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arab Alabama
Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
Posts: 688
Rep Power: 242
GMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1964 inline 6 engine color

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
64 was the first year the Chevrolet inline six was introduced on U.S. built GMC trucks and it was step down option called the I series with just the 230 six being available on pickup model trucks. In 66 they introduced the 250 to replace it, brochures only listed the 250 for the I series but I've seen a 66 1000 pickup with a factory installed 292 and the VIN plate confirmed it.
Whoa Whoa Whoa Pete....when you say "the VIN plate confirmed it" you only mean that the truck had one of the I series VINS denoting the inline 6. Fir clarity to whomever is reading this, there is no way for any VIN plate to tell you if the truck came with a specific displacement engine - only if it came with a V6 vs Inline 6. I would not doubt there being a way to get a 292 put in a new truck, even at the dealer, but it would not have come off the assembly line that way even special ordered. At least not unless someone produces a GMC document or data book saying such was orderable and offered anyway.
__________________
My 60-66 GMC Projects:

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 4th, 2023, 04:32 AM
bigblockv6 bigblockv6 is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rohnert Park, ca.
Truck: 1968 KM2500
Posts: 1,325
Rep Power: 403
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1964 inline 6 engine color

I remember seeing a 66 1000 Series pickup with a 292 inline six and the data plate confirmed it was factory installed. Brochures didn't mention the availability of this engine that year but it was offered in 66 for the first time,
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 4th, 2023, 05:13 AM
BobBray BobBray is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
Truck: 1967 CM 2500
Posts: 238
Rep Power: 132
BobBray will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1964 inline 6 engine color

I think the 292 was in Canadian GMC's far back as 1963.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 6th, 2023, 06:26 AM
bigblockv6 bigblockv6 is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rohnert Park, ca.
Truck: 1968 KM2500
Posts: 1,325
Rep Power: 403
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1964 inline 6 engine color

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
Whoa Whoa Whoa Pete....when you say "the VIN plate confirmed it" you only mean that the truck had one of the I series VINS denoting the inline 6. Fir clarity to whomever is reading this, there is no way for any VIN plate to tell you if the truck came with a specific displacement engine - only if it came with a V6 vs Inline 6. I would not doubt there being a way to get a 292 put in a new truck, even at the dealer, but it would not have come off the assembly line that way even special ordered. At least not unless someone produces a GMC document or data book saying such was orderable and offered anyway.
I was referring to the plate on the left kick panel, those usually show the load capacity and the engine displacement!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1966 GMC inline 6 250ci engine color Archiver Previous Forum Posts 7 October 9th, 2012 01:12 AM
Re: [6066 GMC Truck] inline six engine Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 March 15th, 2003 01:44 AM
inline six engine Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 March 15th, 2003 01:07 AM
Re: [6066 GMC Truck] inline six engine Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 March 15th, 2003 12:28 AM
Re: [6066 GMC Truck] inline six engine Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 March 14th, 2003 12:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd 821695305528|1694604572|0
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.