6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old June 3rd, 2023, 11:51 PM

Truck: 1967 K15 305E
jgpnashville is on a distinguished road
Default How to Remove a Stuck Water Temp Sensor

I was replacing the hoses and radiator in my 1967 305E and decided it was a good time to replace the Water Temp Sensor as well since the system was empty of coolant.
I pulled the water manifold and have spent several hours trying to get the temp sensor to budge with no luck. I've tried soaking it in PB Blaster, heating it with a propane torch, as well as cooling it with CRC Freeze-Off spray, but nothing seems to allow the sensor to turn in the manifold.
I've tried an open-end wrench, crescent wrench, pipe wrench, and vise grips, but all I can do is shred the fitting. See the pictures for the way it looked when I started and the way it is now.
Does anyone have any tricks to removing what is likely a 56-year-old temp sensor from a water intake manifold?

My Saturday has been consumed with this one little water sensor...

Thanks, Gibson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Manifold prior to removal.jpg (669.8 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Temp Sensor shredded.jpg (576.5 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg Water Manifold.jpg (1.02 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)

Last edited by jgpnashville; June 3rd, 2023 at 11:59 PM.
Old June 4th, 2023, 12:21 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How to Remove a Stuck Water Temp Sensor

If you have a Dremmel tool, I would grind it from the inside by making a groove in it and being careful not to damage the threads too much. This would allowed the metal to collapsed and break free. Once it is removed use the proper size pipe tap to clean out the threads, don't remove anymore metal or the sensor won't tighten down for a water tight seal.

By the way, I don't know if you tried this before removing the water manifold. I always remove the fittings before removing removing the manifold from the engine, it is like having an extra hand helping to hold the part while taking the things apart.
Old June 17th, 2023, 08:06 PM

Truck: 1967 K15 305E
jgpnashville is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to Remove a Stuck Water Temp Sensor

Just in case it helps anyone else or an internet search for removing a stuck temp sensor, my efforts at heat or cold to free the stuck sensor were unsuccessful.

What did work, however, was to drill a hole through the brass sensor piece sticking out of the manifold and insert a tempered steel punch through the drilled hole. I was then able to put a 1/2" socket on a long breaker bar and get the needed leverage to turn the stuck sensor. I had the water intake manifold in a bench vise, but it would also work if the manifold was still bolted in the truck - you just need something to hold the manifold while you torque on the breaker bar.

It wasn't pretty but it worked. See attached picture for reference.

Gibson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp Sensor & Breaker Bar.jpg (865.6 KB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)