6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Truck: 1965 Stepside
joseph.haney is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Way to drop front end?!?!

Ok, I need some help and I'm new to the 6066 group... I have just air bagged my 65 Step side and I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to drop the front end lower to the ground. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said crank my torsion bars down but its has none... I've done a little research and found where someone said loosen the mounting bolts for the upper and lower a arms to the desired height and then tighten them back down. Wanted to see if anyone has any ideals. Thanks
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:34 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Way to drop front end?!?!

DO NOT LOOSEN SPINDLE BOLTS FOR RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT. Think about how the system works--the bolts hold the spindle to the upper and lower control arms. Without torsion bars, you are running a coil spring front end. Cheapest lowering is to cut one or two loops off the coil spring and put it back -- like we did in high school. Better options are drop spindles or airbags. Any way you go, realignment is mandatory.
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:18 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Assuming you bagged the rear and the front is still stock you will probably want drop spindles and lowering spring to get it really low. To make it lay frame it is waaay more involved than that.
That right and easiest way(but not the cheapest) is to use a Porterbuilt crossmember.
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph.haney View Post
Ok, I need some help and I'm new to the 6066 group... I have just air bagged my 65 Step side and I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to drop the front end lower to the ground. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said crank my torsion bars down but its has none... I've done a little research and found where someone said loosen the mounting bolts for the upper and lower a arms to the desired height and then tighten them back down. Wanted to see if anyone has any ideals. Thanks
Loosening any control arm mounting bolts would do nothing to lower your front end but it will screw up your alignment.
Chop your springs or get a proper drop spindle and spring kit or air bags then get an alignment.
Who ever told you to loosen those bolts has no idea how the suspension is mounted or how it works.
Good job on asking around before jumping the gun on the first advice you get, that practice will save you a lot of headaches. You will find all the info you need from people right here. Good luck.