6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old July 16th, 2014, 03:50 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Question arm rest installation

I removed the driver's door panel to look at why my window regulator was not operating smoothly. While in the process of looking at the interior of the door, I noticed that I had two nuts that were somehow clipped into the regulator side of the door panel. They were positioned in the fold (about an inch below regulator opening) in a location that would be just about right for an armrest. Am I looking at armrests nuts? Am I blessed enough that all I need to do is pick up an arm rest and screw it in? The reason I ask is that it almost doesn't seem like those two nuts would be engineered to support lots of door closures. If I'm correct that I have located the original nuts, I still have to drill out the detachable panel. Any cautions, suggestions, or pictures of other steps would be appreciated. Thanks.

On the passenger side, I do not have the clipped nuts installed but I don't see why they couldn't be added. Again, your wisdom and experience would be appreciated.

Note: I lubed the coil portion of the window regulator with lithium and it greatly smoothed out the lumpy feel while rolling the window up and down. Of course every thing that moved was lubed, but the problem was the coil.

Last edited by Pops; July 16th, 2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: extra word removed, coulple of words added
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Truck: '66 3/4ton with 12'flatbed
bozzhogg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: arm rest installation

Hay you catch on quick. That what those nut are there for. And enjoy having an arm rest there on your door. Ross of Durham.NC
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:23 PM

Smile Re: arm rest installation

Great news! Though I can't say I catch on quickly...lol. Now all I need is someone's expertise on where to drill the holes in the panels. Also, while I think of it, which arm rest would I use on a 66 GMC Custom. There's the rounded look from 50-60's. There's the boxy rectangular style. I have found the boxy style in red and black. My interior is fawn and white.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:38 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Go to the wrecking yard/recyclers and see if you can find one in an existing GMC or Chevy. I'd suspect you'd find one in a Chevy first, as I've seen more Chevys with them. If you are real lucky, you'll find one and it will have the inner panel as well (already drilled).

Otherwise... to find out where to drill... you could always try measuring from the centerline of the nuts to the centerline of the holes for the screws that hold the panel on.
Or try running a bolt or threaded rod into the nuts, put some wet paint or ink on the end of the bolt/rod then fasten the panel back on and push it into the bolt head/end of the rod so the paint can mark the back of the panel. (hope that made sense)
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:50 PM

All suggestions made sense. I too had thought about the bolt and paint method. Do you know if the finished panel has any additional metal reinforcement? Would drilling holes be enough? I see where I can buy new panels with holes, but mine are nicely redone. So, I will probably try drilling first. FYI, I have not found any scrap yards in SE Mich. Ive been trying to locate a one barrel snorkel type air cleaner.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:04 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

"Clipped" on or welded on? If welded, run an undersized drill from the back side, through the nuts. Then use a step drill from the front side to match the screws. It will be a tight fit, but the sheet metal should be forgiving. If clipped, matching up with paint or grease on the tips is the way to go. The driver & passenger rests should be mirrors of each other (double-check)...so using the passenger handle as template on drivers side and visa-versa should work.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:11 AM

the nuts are clipped on the inner door itself. There's nothing on the finished panel. So I will do the paint or grease technique. My question was pertaining to what kind of protection I would need on the finished panel. Do I drill out the holes and use grommets, rubber washers, some kind of plate, or, do the new armrests come with gaskets, etc..? My thinking is not to screw anything to the finished panel, but to line up with clipped nuts on interior of door and tighten as best I can without distorting anything. Lol. I can over think something simple. Thanks for responses.
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:16 AM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

The armrest itself covers the holes. Just drill from the back, then use a stepped-bit drill to deburr the finished side. Put masking tape over the painted surface to protect from the shavings.
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Truck: 1966 I100
rusty66 is on a distinguished road

My 66 truck came with an armrest on the drivers side only. The arm rest was dirty but in pretty good shape. I degreased it , cleaned it up and painted it with some spray paint made for vinyl that I got at OReillys. It turned out pretty good. You might consider that to get the color you want. Good Luck.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM

Mine only came with drivers door arm rest as well. However my panel is not drilled out. That's what WD and I have been discussing. I do, however, plan to put an armrest on passenger side as well. Hopefully I can find the clip-on nuts. Since you brought up painting, I was wondering if you read my post regarding the two different styles of arm rests. My truck is the Custom with the exterior chrome trim so I thought it might be the boxy type. At this time ive only seen them in red or black. If thats the only way they came in 1966, then thats what I want to use to maintain OE appearance. Thanks again guys.