6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old October 14th, 2014, 03:49 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road
Default 87 VS 63... Hard choice.

I know i've been really excited to get this 1963 c10, but i've been comparing the costs, and recently, my friend started talking about selling is 1987 C10. both are 2wd, neither will be a daily driver, both may be used for work on occasion.

I've started a list of pro's / Cons, but what I want to know is if the 1963 is a really good deal, or if it would be better to hold up for now.

1963 GMC C10

Pros
one of my favorite model years
little rust
seems cheap to me
no emissions
short bed

Cons
no hood
no doors
needs new tires
235 I6 instead of 305 V6 (which i wanted)
parts availability for the engine
unknown changes to frame to install non-standard engine (i can only assume it needed new mounting points, tranny changes / mods, etc.
would need new paint
new bed floor
needs tires immediately

Cost: $900

1987 chevy C10

Pros
305 V8
Parts availability
no missing parts
light surface rust on the bed is the only rust spots on the truck.
all original

Cons
Requires emissions testing
not a 60-66 (pref. knee knockers though)
could use some body work / re-painting
2wd (i'd prefer 4wd, but wouldnt we all?)

$800

So i figure in the end, $900 truck + $600 hood (repro online) + 2x doors $300 ea roughly. 305E V6 $100-$800 depending on what i find, possible tranny parts (un known cost) mounting (free with help of welding friend) cherry picker $400+ for one able to lift the 305 big block, tires, and possibly
more.

In the end i'll be at around $2500 just for the basic stuff in this truck, i could go buy a decent running one off craigslist for that price.

on the other hand

87 C10 bondo $10 (repairing a dent in the bed) paint $200-$400 (if i go all out and actually paint it). 2bbl holly carb (supposedly increases MPG, but i need to research that more) $147 (deal through previous employment). Grand total = less than $1,500 and can be used as needed.

what are your opinions? If i get the 87 W/ 305 V8 I will eventually be getting a 60-66 anyways, mostly concerned for reliability right now, and usage as well.
GMC Hunting - I'll get my hands on one of 'em eventually.
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:52 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 87 VS 63... Hard choice.

Quote:
1963 GMC C10

Pros
one of my favorite model years
little rust
seems cheap to me
no emissions
short bed

Cons
no hood
no doors
needs new tires
235 I6 instead of 305 V6 (which i wanted)
parts availability for the engine
unknown changes to frame to install non-standard engine (i can only assume it needed new mounting points, tranny changes / mods, etc.
would need new paint
new bed floor
needs tires immediately

Cost: $900

So i figure in the end, $900 truck + $600 hood (repro online) + 2x doors $300 ea roughly. 305E V6 $100-$800 depending on what i find, possible tranny parts (un known cost) mounting (free with help of welding friend) cherry picker $400+ for one able to lift the 305 big block, tires, and possibly
more.
For a truck that stripped out, $900 is way too much. No hood or doors?? I'd think maybe $100 bucks for a non-running stripped truck.

Heck, I have a '62 1000 series (it is -not- a C10, it is a GMC 1000) long bed that needs work, but is primarily complete and I'd sell it for at least half that.

I could part with one of my 305s if asked nicely... I also have an extra hood (even wrecking yards are less than $600 for a hood). I don't have any good doors, I have a pair that would work though. A bit of rust but I wouldn't charge anything near $300 (and neither would a wrecking yard). Those online parts typically are made of less steel and don't always fit correctly, although never needing to buy those parts online I don't have direct experience. One can almost always find original parts in the yards, even though scrapping has become typical.
There is a yard in Washington that had a dozen or more reasonably complete GMCs of this era (and a very organized yard it is).

Oh, and NO changes to the frame to change from I6 to 305. Just different motor mounts (frame to engine). Same transmission usually, just a different bell housing. $400 for a cherry picker? you can certainly buy them for less. When I bought mine several years ago it was $300. *any* good picker will lift one of these engines. They only weigh about a 1/2 ton max all decked out.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old October 14th, 2014, 12:07 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

If it were me I'd say go with what you love. You can always make more money, you can't make more trucks. It took me over 2 years to find Cecilia but I'm glad I waited and got what I wanted vs buying a newer truck with a bunch of electronic headaches.

Imagine 10 years from now. Which would you like to be cruising in? Make that decision and never look back. Done and done

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 14th, 2014, 01:23 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 Suburban Series 1000 - 351M with mechancal tachometer - PS & PB & 2 speed Pow-R-Flow automatic
lizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enoughlizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enough

You should look down the road on your choice of the GMC vs. the Chevy - both need parts, paint and hard work sure - maybe the GMC more at the moment. Think 3 years from now when you are motoring down the road - which one of those trucks will gather more looks and questions, a 1960's jimmy or a run of the mill cookie cutter 1980's Chevy? My 1965 suburban does the same work as my brothers 2000's something Silverado HD extended cab - we both pull car trailers and when we pull in for fuel - guess what. Sounds like you are a young fellow - take some advice from the older generation - if you need a truck NOW - spend the money and get a truck that runs and drives TODAY - like a cookie cutter version of work truck from the Big 3 clan. If you're looking for truck to enjoy down the road - take time and look for YOUR knee knocker - a truck that doesn't overwhelm you the minute you get it home - 2 things to remember in the old car/truck hobby - Cheaper is not always better AND good things comes to those who wait.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old October 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
For a truck that stripped out, $900 is way too much. No hood or doors?? I'd think maybe $100 bucks for a non-running stripped truck.

Heck, I have a '62 1000 series (it is -not- a C10, it is a GMC 1000) long bed that needs work, but is primarily complete and I'd sell it for at least half that.

I could part with one of my 305s if asked nicely... I also have an extra hood (even wrecking yards are less than $600 for a hood). I don't have any good doors, I have a pair that would work though. A bit of rust but I wouldn't charge anything near $300 (and neither would a wrecking yard). Those online parts typically are made of less steel and don't always fit correctly, although never needing to buy those parts online I don't have direct experience. One can almost always find original parts in the yards, even though scrapping has become typical.
There is a yard in Washington that had a dozen or more reasonably complete GMCs of this era (and a very organized yard it is).

Oh, and NO changes to the frame to change from I6 to 305. Just different motor mounts (frame to engine). Same transmission usually, just a different bell housing. $400 for a cherry picker? you can certainly buy them for less. When I bought mine several years ago it was $300. *any* good picker will lift one of these engines. They only weigh about a 1/2 ton max all decked out.
Thanks, I was concerned about the original mounts being cut and new ones being welded to the frame and having to re-do that again. I was under the impression that these engines are very heavy and needed a heavier duty picker, thats why I was thinking it would be more. While I still intend on buying a GMC, I think this one in particular is a no-go for me right now.

Quote:
If it were me I'd say go with what you love. You can always make more money, you can't make more trucks. It took me over 2 years to find Cecilia but I'm glad I waited and got what I wanted vs buying a newer truck with a bunch of electronic headaches.

Imagine 10 years from now. Which would you like to be cruising in? Make that decision and never look back. Done and done

Either way I know I will be getting what I want in the next couple years, but I'm not sure if I should jump on this one, or hold off and get a nicer one. I see plenty of ones that are complete but have been sitting for 2-5 years for $1000-$1200 or running for around $2,000. I'm just thinking that if I get this truck for 800 bucks, use it for a year or two, then sell it once I have my GMC, ill have a few hundred dollars to make improvements. Thanks

Quote:
You should look down the road on your choice of the GMC vs. the Chevy - both need parts, paint and hard work sure - maybe the GMC more at the moment. Think 3 years from now when you are motoring down the road - which one of those trucks will gather more looks and questions, a 1960's jimmy or a run of the mill cookie cutter 1980's Chevy? My 1965 suburban does the same work as my brothers 2000's something Silverado HD extended cab - we both pull car trailers and when we pull in for fuel - guess what. Sounds like you are a young fellow - take some advice from the older generation - if you need a truck NOW - spend the money and get a truck that runs and drives TODAY - like a cookie cutter version of work truck from the Big 3 clan. If you're looking for truck to enjoy down the road - take time and look for YOUR knee knocker - a truck that doesn't overwhelm you the minute you get it home - 2 things to remember in the old car/truck hobby - Cheaper is not always better AND good things comes to those who wait.

Thank you. I do need one to run, and I am okay waiting for the right one, I think I've just been wanting one so much that when I saw the opportunity I wanted to jump the gun. I'm not worried about peoples looks. I want the truck to make me happy, I could care less what they all think hah.
You are right, I'm still only 20 so I've got some time to save some cash and build a nice truck for myself.

Sent from my dumbphone via tapatalk
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:30 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

That's great that you're wanting a V6 powered GMC at your age, Hantke! You have a lifetime of opportunity to acquire one or more of them. They're not all that hard to find if you just have patience. Craigslist makes it easier to find them than ever. If you can go outside of the Portland area, you can find a lot more.

is a good place to find them. You're fortunate to live on the West Coast. We seem to have more than our fair share of good ones out here.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
That's great that you're wanting a V6 powered GMC at your age, Hantke! You have a lifetime of opportunity to acquire one or more of them. They're not all that hard to find if you just have patience. Craigslist makes it easier to find them than ever. If you can go outside of the Portland area, you can find a lot more.

is a good place to find them. You're fortunate to live on the West Coast. We seem to have more than our fair share of good ones out here.
I've always loved them, the front end is hands down one of the coolest trucks ever made. I also have an affinity for body work / restoration and while i really wanted to drop a big diesel in, I couldn't do it. Maybe a 60-66 chevy, but those are all over out here for cheap. I would be OK with driving anywhere that I could drive the truck back from, though if i have the '87 I could tow it back then sell the '87. I am glad that I have so much extra time, I just wish i had something to work on in that time. With a broken arm / wrist I can't even get my motorcycle home to work on.
Even if i don't get my favorite knee knocker this year, you guys are still my favorite forum to follow and I learn more stuff every day it seems, can't wait till the day comes!

Old October 15th, 2014, 04:17 AM

<--- it linked me here, but there are 0 vehicles matching 1960 to 1966 gmc

Here are some for $3,000 and under that seem decent near me:
Short wide / $3,000

3/4 ton long / $2,500

3/4 ton long / $2,700

3/4 ton long 4x4 $2,000

unfortunately until tax returns, I don't expect to have much cash laying around right now.

Last edited by Hantke; October 15th, 2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old October 18th, 2014, 07:38 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

You may have figured out that I like the '67, '68, and '69 trucks with the V6 too. Here's an example that's not too expensive:

1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:21 AM

Thanks, i looked at that one, looks like a good deal! I really like the 67-71 years as well, I would love to get one of those trucks as well. When I was younger I wanted a 67 SWB as my DD and a 65 as my project truck / nicer vehicle. Now that i'm in college and reality has set in I drive a Mitsubishi Lancer (can't sell that) and a Suzuki GS500.

After talking to my best friend who lives nearby, he is going to sell his '83 C10 W/ 305 V8 for $400-$500 to me when we get our tax returns, in turn, I'll use that as a work truck for now and fix it up / re-paint it (maybe) and save my money and buy the truck I really want when I can truly afford to do what I want to it.

do the 67-71 GMC's have the same big block V6 in them? I'm really familiar with the chevy's, but not so much the GMC's, infact, i think i've only seen a couple of them with my own eyes.

Thank you guys for your insight, as always, it's greatly appreciated!