6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old May 28th, 2019, 03:08 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough
Default Correct ignition switch

Can someone tell me if the ignition switch below would be correct for a 1960 GMC? The switch works but based on the pictures of the replacements, all if them have 5 spades. Mine only has 4. I'm trying to tie in the radio and although the wire from the panel is marked radio ign, I'm getting no no power. Fuses are good .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG955482.jpg (295.5 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
Old May 29th, 2019, 04:03 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Correct ignition switch

My 61 has 4 spades as well. Here are a few pics and it looks to be like yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6107.JPG (1.70 MB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_6099.JPG (1.46 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old May 29th, 2019, 07:11 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

There are only 4 terminals. Brown-Acc, Red-Batt, Pink-Ign and Vio-Sol. As you can see on Funky61 switch, there is supposed to be another wire on the same terminal at the Pink Ignition wire. This is the resistance wire for the coil. I always just use a ballast resistor.

The radio picks up power from the 4A fuse on fuse panel marked "radio", should be BRN. Radio should have a ground wire or metal to metal.

Wire the 5 terminal just like the 4 terminal per above. The Ground terminal is not used on the fiver.

Last edited by AZKen; May 29th, 2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:51 PM

jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

I'm using an E-Z wiring harness and connected the wires as directed. I have a wire from the fuse block labled Radio Ignion, so I would think it draws power from the fuse panel. the fuse is good.
Old May 30th, 2019, 12:43 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I am not sure what the questions is. You said "I'm getting no no power." You have a radio question and a proper ignition switch question. Did the ignition switch question get answered?

No power where? Do you mean you have hooked up the wire from the fuse panel to the radio and the radio does not work? We really need more info from you. Does the wire have power?
There are two ways to wire a radio for power. "Always on" and "only on with ignition". Is this the problem? We need the whole story to help.

Sometimes we can think a radio is not working when it's the speaker that is not working. If you can see the dial light, it must be getting power.

Not knowing what the actual complaint is, I will offer suggestions.
1. Get an ice pick style lighted voltage tester.
2. Attach the alligator clip to a known good ground.
3. Start at the fuse panel, check both sides of the radio fuse for power, ignition on.
4. Check the end of the wire from that fuse just before it attaches to the radio...or at the radio connector contact, for power.
5. Report where you find no power.

FYI: Many Fuse panels have sections of fuses (banks) that are always on and sections of fuses that are only on with ignition switch

Not being rude asking for more/better info. You can see that without it, I take up space with TMI, trying to cover what I think you are asking. I am sure with all these questions I asked and info given, you have found it already.

Last edited by AZKen; May 30th, 2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old May 30th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Thank You AZ,

I should have been more clear in my post.

I have the ice pick tester and will probe around this weekend, this should be a simple hook up. The radio is newly rebuilt and upgraded and the fuse block has a wire marked Radio Ign.(main radio power), it also has a secondary wire for constant power for memory, but I believe I do not need that as the radio has no memory functions or clock (its a dial tune - no pushbutton).

I suspect I should be getting power, but did not check with meter. I used a set of alligator clips to temp connect both the power and the ground, its possible I do not have the ground.

This weekend I'll walk/work from the fuse panel. Thank You for giving me some pointers.

Jake
Old May 30th, 2019, 07:00 PM

Jake, you have helped a lot of people. Just returning the favor.
Old May 31st, 2019, 12:56 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough

ken, if you look at a gmc wiring diagram you will find that the resistance wire is in the engine compartment side of the front end wiring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 31st, 2019, 05:35 PM

Yes, when I redid my harness, I took it all apart to copy the wires. The resistance wire was in there. It needed to be so long to create proper resistance that they had to fold it back on itself. I guess they thought it was more "modern" than a ballast resistor. I think Chevy stayed with the ballast. Anyway I find it much easier to add a ballast to the firewall or inner fender, albeit not original. I do have a 1960 wiring diagram and it does show the resistance wire as you say.
If a person does not have that wire anymore, it would be difficult to find and to know how long it needed to be.
Old June 11th, 2019, 05:57 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

Just when I thought I was gettin bored. Pretty good reading.