6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old November 19th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road
Default Specific needs

Hello Members,
I am working on my '64 SWB wideside, replaced the 230 with a 350 that came along with a 700R4. Mechanic moved the motor mounts farther forward so the HEI would have clearance to take on and off. There's plenty of room, so much that where the stock placement of the radiator when the 230 was in there, it now places the back of the radiator within an 1 1/4" of the fan pulley when sitting in the saddle mounts.

First dilemma - finding a new radiator that will fit up against the radiator support, shorter than stock, need 20-21" in height, 24" opening with two-1 1/4" flanges on either side to place between new condenser of Vintage Air system with some studs. Then still be about 2 to 2 3/8" thick to place above saddle mount cross brace.
Have some of you taken out the cross brace for more depth on the radiator, where the original saddle brackets are? This brace sort of looks like a Z-bar with the edges riveted into the side rails of the frame. By having it out, the restriction of height could be adjusted without this.

Second dilemma - finding the shroud and the electric fan combo to put in between the remaining space of the fan/shroud and the fan pulley (unless we decide a mechanical fan is a better option?)

Any suggestions for a radiator company that has dealers/distributors near he West Coast that may have these specs/measurements or a bit narrower on width I have above? Most direct build radiators are 6-8 weeks out. I have tried Champion and a few others on EBay without much success.

My last need, not too important, I had to take off the handle that is mounted to the left lower floor cowl vent because it was running into the new fuse panel & wiring I installed. Another friend mentioned that the 60-62 GMC's had a lever, that may slide open by the side wall, that could be controlled without flying open with the air pressure? Or is there other applications that might work by bending another piece of rod that would mount to the cowl door, yet be able to move inwards or outwards depending on the direction of travel connection to the door?

I thank you in advance for any assistance that anyone can send me on too.
Best, ItalOso
Old November 19th, 2019, 04:32 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Specific needs

Regarding radiator: I don't understand the problem you are trying to solve. Too many dimensions and not enough general info. Please state in general terms.

1. You want to find a radiator because the existing radiator is...........
2. "I want shorter than stock "because...........
3. You say there is "plenty of room", then it seems that there is not "plenty of room" because radiator is too close to "fan pulley". What about distance to the fan itself.
4. Do you have an electric fan now? or a mechanical fan now?
5. Do you have a long or short water pump on the SBC?

Regarding finding a new radiator: Once you know the size and thickness you need/want, then it's a matter of looking on ebay, find one and have it shipped. You may have to get one that is close to the dimensions and live with it. It's not a strict science to have a perfect size. After you get a radiator that you like and you mock it up, you will see what needs to be done. You will see several ideas and you will pick one. That's how you do it. It's hard for us to be specific because we don't have the actual radiator and it's mounting features in front of us. If you need ideas after you get a radiator, you can give us a few pics and we will advise.

As I said, I don't understand the basic problem. I understand you have a fit problem with a new radiator. The width and height does not have to be exact and the width is a little harder. Can you mount it in front of the crossover with bracketry modifications, either on the support or on the radiator or both?

Fresh air vents can be cable controlled or handle controlled depending on year. A Chevy could provide a solution. A cable control type or a modified handle could help your interference problem. Bending handle or convert to cable control or whatever. You can also move the fuse panel to a place that does not interfere.

Last edited by AZKen; November 19th, 2019 at 06:19 PM.