6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old November 5th, 2019, 09:26 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

My clutch spring extension wire is 6" long.
Old November 25th, 2019, 08:44 AM

Truck: GMC 1500 1965
GMCTom will become famous soon enoughGMCTom will become famous soon enough

At the moment winter is coming but the show must go on

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I sandblasted and galvanized all screws black. Yesterday I mounted the crossmember.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Next step is the control arm on the left side. This parts are also back from sandblasting and powdercoating.
Old November 26th, 2019, 01:50 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough

Looks great Tom, very fine workmanship, thanks for the pictures. Sending a PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump
Old January 8th, 2020, 09:18 AM

Hi,

small update on the project. In the last days I mounted the crossmember for the handbrake

Next step was to mount the upper and lower control arm. I got the screws back from black coating. I installed the lower control arm despite the problem with the dimension of the shaft (see the following link)

I have to cut new threads on the bolts of the upper control arm. The old ones are damaged. The next thing was to install the tank. I painted it black. I think that goes great with the rest

I have also started to install the brake line. This is also done in stainless steel. A two-circuit system with the master cylinder of a 1967 GMC is also planned.

I'll post photos of it when I'm done.

Last edited by GMCTom; January 8th, 2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old January 8th, 2020, 02:32 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough

Hi Tom,
As always your attention to detail is unsurpassed. Your chassis looks amazing. I really enjoy reading and seeing your progress on your GMC. Your build really sets the bar high for frame off restorations.
I have used the 3/8" aluminum soft tubing for fuel line too with really good results when I built my T bucket in 2011. It works great and forms well to the frame irregularities and is easily clamped using rubber lined clamps. I would suggest installing one of these fuel filters as close to the fuel tank as possible with a 1/4 turn petcock too. It has a replaceable filter and will insure the fuel is perfectly clean to the carburetor. It is substantial in size (filter medium)and a standard manual fuel pump will easily draw through it.

I hope I am allowed to insert this link,it is not to promote summitracing but to show as an example the type/size of filter only. Many other companies sell them.

Keep up the good work, it is not always easy to put on the warm clothes and get out the to work when it is winter.

Steve

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:32 AM

Hi Steve,
thank you for your comment and your honest opinion. I will still be embarrassed

That with the fuel filter would be a good idea, since I'm not quite sure what to install here.
I will post a few pictures below of what the constellation looked like when it was purchased.
The original fuel pump was installed against an electric one, if I see it correctly. A filter was also installed shortly before the carburetor. I don't know whether that was so good or bad. Maybe you have a few more tips. Can I use the pump again in the pictures?
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6381.jpg (1.02 MB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_6522.jpg (2.80 MB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_6518.jpg (3.77 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
Old January 9th, 2020, 11:10 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

GMCTom where did you get that thermostat housing? I can't find one to fit my 64.
Old January 10th, 2020, 03:27 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

From your pictures it looks like the previous owner installed the electric fuel pump where the original gas filter was located. Those holes in the frame were the mounting point for the bracket housing/filter assembly. Originally the fuel line was a steel line from the filter on the frame to the fuel pump, steel to the carburetor. The original had a screw on cover with a canister type filter inside, the filter insert still available from NAPA. (I had to buy a special size filter wrench to unscrew mine to prevent damage) the style that was reference from Summit is close to what was there originally.
You are doing a fantastic job on your restoration.

regards,
Old February 26th, 2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
GMCTom where did you get that thermostat housing? I can't find one to fit my 64.
Hi James,

sorry about the late reply. I have currently checked the housing on the engine, but unfortunately I cannot find a manufacturer or a logo. The previous owner has already assembled it.

If I disassemble the engine, I will send you detailed photos.
Old February 26th, 2020, 08:47 AM

Time for an update

Installed the anker plate with new lowering spring (3") and new ball joints on the lower and upper control arm.

Also installed the overhauled steering gear (new seals, new grease, paint...)

Derusted, cleaned and painted the hubs. They also get new bearings and seals.

I also preinstalled the steering arms

Next step were the brakes. I blasted all springs, sheet metal parts and galvanized them new. The passenger side was preinstalled.

Installed the hub, the drum and the wheel with the new tire

In the next two weeks the chassis should be ready for a photo shooting outside