6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old January 8th, 2015, 01:06 AM

Truck: 1963 C-1500 Custom
Snags is on a distinguished road
Default Oil leaking from top of oil filter canister

I just put my rebuilt 305E back into my 63 truck and it fired right up, but once oil pressure was built up it started leaking (gushing) out of the top of the oil filter canister. I used the new gasket that came with the filter, and it was seated in the groove in the housing nice and flat. I tried a Fram CH106PL filter and then a Wix 51121, but they both had the same issue. So I put two new gaskets on the canister housing and really torqued the bolt down tight, seems to be fine now, but might just leak a little. Before the rebuild I had it running using only ONE gasket on the housing, with no leaking. Anyone know what can be going on here?

I also checked and oil is getting up to the lifter rails so oil is moving around the engine (by the way, I HAD to rotate the crank by hand in order for oil to get up to the rocker rails). For the rebuild I also installed a new Dynagear DM-70 oil pump. I also pulled the oil pump housing back off to make sure I had the pump housing gasket installed correctly, and both holes were not blocked, and oil is coming out of the correct hole in the block. I can also move oil pump housing by-pass valve using my fingers, so that seems to be working too. When I bought the truck the previous owner had two gaskets on the housing, and I've also heard others on here finding two gaskets on their trucks. When you try and put a second gasket on there is doesn't lay flat or fit very well so maybe people weren't accidentally putting two on there.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Randy
Old January 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Oil leaking from top of oil filter canister

Mine only had 1 gasket and sealed up great. I'm pretty sure there's only one gasket that's supposed to be on there.

Mine did gush nasty at first when i had the housing caught on the lip of the engine where it should go down inside and seal to the gasket. I took it off, noticed the problem and moved the housing so it slid down into the groove right then it was tight as a drum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 8th, 2015, 05:34 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road

Your situation tickled an old memory.
I had a leak after installing a new filter and eventually found the cause to be my failure to remove the old gasket.
It can fool you, with the old one being blackened and hardened, so make sure it is gone.
Glad to hear you have finished rebuilding another great V-6!
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:50 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Greetings Snags!

As was suggested by another club member, make sure the old gasket has been removed from where the oil filter canister seats. You can remove the old ring with a good "O" ring hook and pick tool. Also be sure that the filter canister is not "cocked" since if it is not installed squarely, it will leak in the manner in which you describe.