6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old July 23rd, 2018, 09:28 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Vacuum advance

Hello all,
Do we know if this is suitable for a v6?
https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/cx1848.html
Just curious if any of y'all have ordered a vacuum advance from classic industries before....

I've found some stuff that says it'll suit an inline. But, I'm just not certain as to whether or not there would be something special about the advance on a 305.

Thanks, as always!
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:19 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vacuum advance

There are two designs of distributors for our V6 engines. 1960-1963 uses a window-type distributor using a V8 design. If you need an advance for these year model engines, you can use one for any GM V8 engine (I used one listed for a v8-283 on my V6-305 using the window-type distributor). 1964-1974 uses the I-6 23-250-292 design distributor and the advance listed for the chev. engine will work on the later distributors. One thing I didn't mention is that I cut the metal vacuum line in order to use a rubber vacuum hose.

Old July 27th, 2018, 06:09 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Hello,
I've got a distributor with the window on it.

I'm stoked to hear that finally there's a part for my old man that's readily available LOL

This is probably a gross over simplification. But, it looks like the vacuum advance is almost plug and play? Meaning I just swap out the old one for the new one and call it a day?

Or, are there adjustments etc... to consider? I mean specifically with the vacuum advance. I've kindof taken it for granted that I should check the dwell and the timing whenever I've tinkered with anything in that area.
Old July 27th, 2018, 07:41 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
Hello,
I've got a distributor with the window on it.

I'm stoked to hear that finally there's a part for my old man that's readily available LOL

This is probably a gross over simplification. But, it looks like the vacuum advance is almost plug and play? Meaning I just swap out the old one for the new one and call it a day?

Or, are there adjustments etc... to consider? I mean specifically with the vacuum advance. I've kindof taken it for granted that I should check the dwell and the timing whenever I've tinkered with anything in that area.

Greetings!

There are no adjustments to be made, or that can be made to the Vacuum Advance unit. The only adjustments that you need to be concerned with are the point gap/dwell, and ignition timing.
Old July 29th, 2018, 03:49 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bongert View Post
Greetings!

There are no adjustments to be made, or that can be made to the Vacuum Advance unit. The only adjustments that you need to be concerned with are the point gap/dwell, and ignition timing.
No adjustments = best news ever lol
I love learning, but sometimes it's nice for things to be simple.

Thanks a million y'all.