6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old November 28th, 2013, 06:29 AM

Truck: 1963 1500 Custom
adamfgarner is on a distinguished road
Default looking to replace my front springs...want advice/input

I have noticed a substantial difference in pricing from LMC, Brothers and another catalog for front coil springs for my 63 1500...do any of you guys have any experience or input regarding any differences in quality in these suppliers or other suggestions where I might get the best value/quality coil springs for my truck? I am interested in the original ride height not the lowered springs...thanks in advance
Old November 28th, 2013, 02:10 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: looking to replace my front springs...want advice/input

My experience is LMC is like the dollar store. Sometimes you get lucky, but mostly it's cheap china junk. If its not an important part then I dont mind using them.

Brothers trucks is pretty good to me (so far) but their shipping department is full of monkeys. Noam sayin? They can't read the quantity box to save their lives. Order 5, you'll get 1. Order 1, you still get 1. Backordered? You'll never know until you call them. Order next day shipping? You'll get it in a week, you'll just pay more.

For them I always call after ordering and verify that it's getting shipped, it's in stock, and they see how many I want. Then it turns out purdy good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

I use LMC for a lot of stuff, but because they do carry several items we love such as the side mirror gaskets with the edge, which are better than the plain one and they also carry the clear dome light they seem to have an edge.

The problem is that most of the truck supply companies buy from overseas where the quality control ain't all that good? Esp. on body panels (I learned the hard way).

BUT we can say what we will, I'm glad to have them as my project (longest rebuild in history) would never get finished!
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

What's up with your old springs? There are lots of good used springs out there. That way you know you have good quality. Honestly I doubt most of the repop stuff is made by to manny different companies. For example I saw two sets of 68-72 fenders from two different vendors with two different manufacturers stickers. These fenders had stamping flaws that were in the exact same spots. Also one of the right fenders was made from thinner material. Barry
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

I've not used them but talk to these folks; made in the USA!

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

I don't think the replacement springs from some of those others take into account the weight of the GMC V6. Even an upgrade to "Big Block" springs may leave you lower then you'd like.
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Very true, I've seen the results! The GMC dealer where we bought our 68 KM-2500 had a 67 K series Suburban in the show room they converted over to a V6, since V6's no longer were offered in Suburbans that year on. Anyway the front end was sitting lower than a two wheel drive and the back end looked all jacked up, obviously they never changed the front springs and makes you wonder what were they thinking.
Old November 29th, 2013, 03:22 AM

Truck: 1963 1500 Custom
adamfgarner is on a distinguished road

In response to BarryGMC...my old springs are...OLD...50 years old and are absolutely MUSH!..there is NO basic suspension or rebound...the give is all gone...so gotta replace em' as I like a truck to ride like a truck and be able to roll over a curb here and there...thank you all for your input...I will let you know what I end up with..