6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old October 17th, 2023, 03:30 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Unfortunately, my 2WD truck isn’t working out in AR

Hello All,

In the spring we moved from the flatlands to a remote neighborhood on the east side of Beaver Lake Arkansas, and my 2WD truck isn’t working out when towing on the narrow and steep dirt roads. Never thought I’d let go of this truck after all I’ve put into it the last fifteen years, but I’ve decided I need to go back to 4WD.

I probably won’t make the switch until mid next year, but thought I’d give you guys a heads up. In the meantime, I’m using tire chains when I don’t have enough tongue weight to minimize wheel spin on steep gravel inclines. And when meeting oncoming traffic that cannot give me immediate right away on steep gravel inclines, I’m forced to stop and cannot restart when carrying a load, so I have to back the trailer down and take another run at it (and hope it’s clear).

Anyway, when I’m ready to make the change I’ll post my sale ad on here first.

Best regards,

David Clarke
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0887.jpeg (3.78 MB, Multiple views, 20 clicks)
Old October 18th, 2023, 06:36 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Unfortunately, my 2WD truck isn’t working out in AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
Hello All,

In the spring we moved from the flatlands to a remote neighborhood on the east side of Beaver Lake Arkansas, and my 2WD truck isn’t working out when towing on the narrow and steep dirt roads. Never thought I’d let go of this truck after all I’ve put into it the last fifteen years, but I’ve decided I need to go back to 4WD.

Best regards,

David Clarke
Sorry to hear you're considering parting with your "pride and joy", Dave. You ought to keep it and add to your fleet with a 4WD truck for towing duties.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old October 18th, 2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Sorry to hear you're considering parting with your "pride and joy", Dave. You ought to keep it and add to your fleet with a 4WD truck for towing duties.
Hello Ed,

Yes, that’s what I did when in KS, but we downsized when we moved to the lake inching into retirement and no longer have the room for an extra vehicle. Nor, do I want to pay for offsite storage.

Hopefully, I’ll find someone who will take great care of it like I have.
Old October 18th, 2023, 02:02 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

My wife would kill me if I brought home another toy, but that sure is a pretty truck. Combine it with the trailer and you'll get a pretty penny for it I bet.

Well, if you need somewhere to park it I've got plenty of space. Just leave the title so I can keep the tags up to date for you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 18th, 2023, 02:15 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Or trade yours with Fetch... He has a 4x4
Old October 18th, 2023, 03:56 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
Or trade yours with Fetch... He has a 4x4

Well, come to think about it if I "lend" him Cecilia, she might get all that work done and come back to me better than she left! Hmm......

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 19th, 2023, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
My wife would kill me if I brought home another toy, but that sure is a pretty truck. Combine it with the trailer and you'll get a pretty penny for it I bet.

Well, if you need somewhere to park it I've got plenty of space. Just leave the title so I can keep the tags up to date for you
Thanks Fetch! You are sooo kind….

I’ll be keeping our little camper and will repaint the stripes to match the color of my future 4WD.
Old October 24th, 2023, 11:00 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
Hello All,

I probably won’t make the switch until mid next year, but thought I’d give you guys a heads up. In the meantime, I’m using tire chains when I don’t have enough tongue weight to minimize wheel spin on steep gravel inclines. And when meeting oncoming traffic that cannot give me immediate right away on steep gravel inclines, I’m forced to stop and cannot restart when carrying a load, so I have to back the trailer down and take another run at it (and hope it’s clear).

Best regards,

David Clarke
Hello David! I don't get on here much any more since I never got one of these trucks again. Sounds like you must have sold the Binder project too. I am sorry to read you have to sell that great truck. Hope you and Carla are doing well. Congrats on approaching retirement. I did it in April and don't regret it one bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Too bad he can't keep it Ed! Loree uses that "D-word" (downsize) now and then too. Scares the crap out of me! I like having junk around! Hope you folks are well too!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old October 25th, 2023, 12:40 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDAC View Post
Hello David! I don't get on here much any more since I never got one of these trucks again. Sounds like you must have sold the Binder project too. I am sorry to read you have to sell that great truck. Hope you and Carla are doing well. Congrats on approaching retirement. I did it in April and don't regret it one bit!

Too bad he can't keep it Ed! Loree uses that "D-word" (downsize) now and then too. Scares the crap out of me! I like having junk around! Hope you folks are well too!

DAC
Good to hear from you again, Doug, and that you're enjoying retirement! My employer downsized 80 people (including me) one day back in 2011. So I've been retired for 12 years now. Unfortunately, I'm finding myself less motivated to keep my four GMCs in tip-top shape, so I'm considering selling one of them next spring.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old October 25th, 2023, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDAC View Post

DAC
Hello Doug,

Good to hear from you…

Congrats on retirement!!!

Yeah, I sold the Binder last year. Had to sell a lot of stuff in preparation of moving from 31 acres to 3 acres. A guy drove up from TX to pick up the Binder. His wife told me Thank You before they drove off with it, and I thought about telling her I’d be curious if she’d still thank me after a few years of her husband dumping lots of time and money into it.

Left you a voicemail from my new cell number. Look fwd to catching up with you...

Dave