6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old February 7th, 2018, 01:34 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
geasson is on a distinguished road
Default Need Opinions

I know that I will get lots of different opinions, but want some input from other truck guys. I have 1966 GMC 1-ton, original stake side, with less than 10,000 miles. It has surface rust, not really any good patina and I am not a big patina fan anyway. I will attach some pictures

My question is, do I re-paint everything to make it look show room new or keep part of it original, or all original? I will have to redo the wood in the bed.

thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160514_171313046.jpg (1.87 MB, Multiple views, 34 clicks)
File Type: jpg P1050135.JPG (4.75 MB, Multiple views, 33 clicks)
File Type: jpg P1050132.JPG (3.50 MB, Multiple views, 27 clicks)
Old February 7th, 2018, 03:57 AM

Truck: Drove and Owned Many
BillT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Opinions

As mentioned in the other forum as well, I would go with new paint. Glad to see that you posted over here. It sure is a nice truck.

-'60 GMC 2500 Dump, 305 V-6
-'62 GMC 4000 Flatbed, 305 V-6
-'62 GMC 6500 Flatbed Dump, 478 V-6
-'67 GMC 7500 Box, 6V-53 Detroit
-'71 GMC 9500 Flatbed Dump, 637 V-8
Old February 7th, 2018, 01:23 PM

Truck: 1964 c10
buickbill is on a distinguished road

I agree . ,to many uneducated people its just a old truck . make it new again . should be fun!!
Old February 7th, 2018, 03:47 PM

Truck: 1965
RichG is on a distinguished road

I'll throw my 2 cents in. The points made about people not recognizing the value of an original truck are true. I think these trucks are only original once and it's very difficult to find them in that condition. Anyone can paint it and bring it to like new condition. Having said that, it is your truck and your feelings about it are the most important. If you don't like the patina look then go ahead and paint her. If it was me, I would take off the front bumper and grill to have them repainted the white. The mirrors too. Then I would have the paint buffed to bring it to the best it can be. Any rust areas - which it doesn't look like you have anything - would be neutralized and then touched up. As to the bed, from what I understand the factory pine boards were painted black, so that's what I would do to replace them.

That's my 2 cents. But the key point is do what you like since it is your truck.

PS - very nice truck
Old February 7th, 2018, 06:00 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Agree with RichG 100%. Paint grille and bumper white. Power wash motor, hand wash cab. Wax the cab, inside and out. Perfect. Test the wax to be sure it does not take off too much paint. You will get blue on the buff rag, that's normal. Leave the stake side wood/paint as is. Not sure how they did stake beds. New boards as necessary I guess.

If you still don't like it, repaint.

I absolutely would NOT paint it though. VERY NICE original truck with rare original power steering!!

Last edited by AZKen; February 7th, 2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old February 21st, 2018, 04:34 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Agreed on not repainting. NICE original trucks are harder and harder to find as many are getting screwed up with heavy modifying. I've seen some also clean and put clear coat over the original paint to help preserve it better. I'm no professional, but I don't expect that to last very long without flaking off. But like mentioned...that truck is yours and the money is yours as well. Do what you want and have a blast doing it.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:27 PM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road

As for the wood for the stake sides, when I built some for my '64 wideside, I used the actual Hemlock Fir fence boards, because they are known as a 5/4" (five-quarter) by 6" inch boards, and cut/rough sawn. They give the sturdiness of the boards and with appropriate hardware and solid bed gussets, they lock together well. I painted the stake sides white, as to highlight the other white areas of my '64.
As for the vertical stock, some people will buy the pre-made steel posts, but again, a solid stock, like oak or even mahogany, something thick and stout. These sides lasted almost 30 years and with their weight, don't bounce all over the place.
It's up to you, but I would make the front section one solid fence, then if you want to make the sides solid or partitions, like the back sections, this way you're not lifting such heavy panels.
These pieces, even the bed wood, you could natural stain, stainless bolts, use these like I did to highlight the second color. Any of the wood you might go through a salvage/restoration business and get some beautiful grained wood, mill it yourself, and get some eye-popping results...."if" you don't plan on hauling anything.

Otherwise, I agree with the other Members, give it some TLC the way it is, clean up/repaint the white areas, just buff the front bumper and clear coat, maybe the rims too. This greenish-turquoise was the original color of my '64, but I don't know the code or color name. Have fun with your restoration! A great truck for a parade!
Old April 20th, 2018, 04:36 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Is that power steering? Two groove pulley? Holy cow if you don't paint 'er and love on her every day I think the devil will come eat your family. That's an AWESOME truck!

If it runs and drives well now you could even offer it up for parades with the local high schools and such. Throw a few bales of hay in the back, load the kids up, and granny gear it down main street.

You're a lucky man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.